• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Air Stations, and some history behind them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(Corry Field) .. Ole trustworthy Wikipedia - ;) - says decomm in 1958....
Mebbe they mean for flying ... decomm'd in '58 ... 'cause she was alive and well in the late '60's for the training of Photographer's Mates, if memory serves me ... the "Hook" magazine say Communications Technicians took their training there after the birds went away, i.e., CT training, but I remember PH's training there, too.

But CORRY was "alive" in any case.

Crryovhd56.jpg

Overhead view of NAAS Corry in July 1956 depicts the runways and old mat areas once referred to as “Suicide Circle” by aviation cadets in the late 1930s due to the field’s heavy traffic. The hangars, tower and administrative buildings lining the taxiway remain standing, though air activities at the field would soon be moved elsewhere.

Crrynow.jpg

In a 1998 overhead view, the outline of the old runway layout remains as do four hangars and other support buildings built in 1934 along the northern (upper) part of the field. The Navy Exchange/ commissary complex is in the center of the field, military housing occupies the southeastern corner while the Pensacola Naval Hospital is sited in the southwest corner. The Communications Technician A School is currently Corry’s principal tenant.

Redux

What's wrong with you guys, no love for http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/chambers-field.htm ? :confused: The old SP hangars I "think" were built circa 1917, old assed heavy doors to push, titty bouncers at the Breezy 21 Acey Duecy club when liquid lunches were permitted and an easy bushel of crabs to be hand lined from the seaplane ramps. Contrary to popular belief Norfolk was EASY to get laid at, all a young lad needed to do is open their mouth at the old Ocean Zoo Amuesment park or at the local beach. Of course I'm just going by hearsay because Id never have sex out of wedlock coming of age in the early 70's. :eek:

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Mebbe they mean for flying ... decomm'd in '58 ... 'cause she was alive and well in the late '60's for the training of Photographer's Mates, if memory serves me ... the "Hook" magazine say Communications Technicians took their training there after the birds went away, i.e., CT training, but I remember PH's training there, too.

But CORRY was "alive" in any case.

Crryovhd56.jpg

Overhead view of NAAS Corry in July 1956 depicts the runways and old mat areas once referred to as “Suicide Circle” by aviation cadets in the late 1930s due to the field’s heavy traffic. The hangars, tower and administrative buildings lining the taxiway remain standing, though air activities at the field would soon be moved elsewhere.

Crrynow.jpg

In a 1998 overhead view, the outline of the old runway layout remains as do four hangars and other support buildings built in 1934 along the northern (upper) part of the field. The Navy Exchange/ commissary complex is in the center of the field, military housing occupies the southeastern corner while the Pensacola Naval Hospital is sited in the southwest corner. The Communications Technician A School is currently Corry’s principal tenant.

My old house is in this pic.....

Lake Charlene was the neighborhood I believe. You can see the canals and man made lakes in that overhead pic. I caught a few monster bass in there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I came across NAS Tillamook, OR. A longtime forgotten LTA base used during WWII (1942-1948).

nas-tillamook2.jpg

Image Source: U.S. Geological Survey (18 JUL 1994) // Color By: Chris Cozzetto

NAS Tillamook joins other great Blimp Air Stations:
• NAS South Weymouth, MA
• NAS Lakehurst, NJ
• NAS Weeksville, NC
• NAS Glynco, GA
• NAS Richmond, FL
• NAS Houma, LA
• NAS Hitchcock, TX
• NAS Santa Ana, CA (Later MCAS Tustin)
• NAS Moffett Field, CA

Interesting note that of the 17 Blimp Hangars constructed during WWII, only 7 remain standing (2@Lakehurst, 2@Moffett Field, 2@Santa Ana, 1@Tillamook).

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I came across NAS Tillamook, OR. A longtime forgotten LTA base used during WWII (1942-1948).

nas-tillamook2.jpg

Image Source: U.S. Geological Survey (18 JUL 1994) // Color By: Chris Cozzetto
Tillamook kinda' takes you by surprise for the 1st time when you're driving up HW 101 from the south ... the view is blocked by trees & then suddenly ... WOW !!! ... WHAT IS THAT ??!!??!! :D

It's Blimp-city out there all by it's lonesome in the middle of the cows and the cheese ... :D

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently there's a good aviation museum there. This summer one of my friends took a trip to Oregon and she sent me a postcard from Tillamook.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Apparently there's a good aviation museum there. This summer one of my friends took a trip to Oregon and she sent me a postcard from Tillamook.
Roger that: if you're ever goin' through Oregon on the old Pacific Coast Highway (HW101), it's worth a stop ...

TILLAMOOK AIR MUSEUM

Also worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood:

EVERGREEN AVIATION & SPACE MUSEUM
in McMinnville (home of the fabled Howard Hughes SPRUCE GOOSE, amongst others)

And then there's the OREGON AIR & SPACE MUSEUM in Eugene; don't know much about it-- never been there -- seems like a smaller offering.

And all 3 in hippie-smell, Oregon ... now who'da thunk ???? :)

In Pursuit

pilot
NAS JRB New Orleans

A few interesting facts:

Alvin Callendar Field named after World War I flying ace, Alvin Andrew Callender, a New Orleans area native who served with the British Royal Flying Corps who was shot down and killed in France on October 30,1918.

The field originally consisted of a grassy area that was cleared in the late 1920’s to provide a landing site for Charles Lindbergh who visited New Orleans during a nation-wide tour.

An underappreciated role in a historic event: After Hurricane Katrina devastated the central Gulf Coast are on August 29, 2005, NAS JRB became the center of the Department of Defense rescue and recovery efforts. During the first ten days following the storm, more than 10,000 military personnel and relief workers were airlifted in NAS JRB along with in excess of 18 million pounds of relief supplies. NAS JRB, with the only operating runways within 100 miles of New Orleans, became the primary search and rescue airfield for flights that saved over 10,000 lives in the New Orleans area. All those helos you saw on TV were coming out of NAS NOLA. A primarily TACAIR training base (FA-18s from VFA-204 and F-15s from the LAANG) was transformed into a logistic C-5/C-130/KC-135 base and a helo SAR base literally in a few hours after Katrina rolled into town.

Great place to fly out of: lots of water, open space and ACM ranges to the east, south and southeast with an overwater TACTS range 40 miles to the east.

MasterBates

Not all the helos came out of NAS NO.

A lot of us came off the Truman, and used NAS as a gas stop. There was not enough room (or gas) there for all of us.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Pics will be up in my gallery as soon as the movers drop off my computer. I stopped there enroute from NUW-NPA. Unfortunately, the air museum is the only hangar left; the other one burned down in the 90's. Which apparently makes the remaining one the largest free-standing wooden structure in the world.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A few interesting facts: .... New Orleans .... F-15s from the LAANG...

Question, new guy. :D

What was the ol' non-PC "nickname" for the Loooooooosiana Air Guard???

I flew w/ 'em/again 'em when they drove F-4's and even got an invite to join them as a real live F-4 driver after my first airline went down. :eek:

ME??? An F-4 driver??? Are you listenin', Cat ... are you out there ... ??? :D

Redux

I flew w/ 'em/again 'em when they drove F-4's and even got an invite to join them as a real live F-4 driver after my first airline went down. :eek:

Mid 70's they had Voodoo's parked along the flight line. Neat assed looking bird.

Do a google earth and you can clearly see the "old" runways, now covered with FEMA trailers. :D

jfulginiti

pilot
None
According to a posting in base ops at MCAS Cherry Point (if I remember correctly from standing tower ODO about 5 years ago):

After the government bought the land, they spent the first year doing nothing but filling in the swamp land and killing mosquitoes.

In Pursuit

pilot

Coonass Militia. Was changed to "Bayou Militia" in the PC Tsunami of the 90s. Good guys. Had quite a bit of fun doing 1 v1 with them back in the day: Hornets v Eagles.