• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nami Wammy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Just curious, way off topic, how do I get these stars by my name? # of posts? How many per star/color? Sorry about the diversion.

spr

Is that typical for BDCPers? Do they always just send ya'll to meps and then wait until after OCS to give you the flight physical? Believe me I wished I would have known about the BDCP program, but I've gotten picked up for OCS as an SNA and they sent me to NAS Corpus Christi to get a flight physical. I wonder why the inconsistancy b/w the two programs?

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
jg5343 said:
I don't have 20/20, i think 20/30 or 20/35, and I qualified for SNA with this eyesight. What is the worst my eyesight can be before I get the NAMI whammy? Waivers?

When I came through in JUL'02 I had 20/40 and they said I was just within standards, so dont go sitting too close to the TV or computer between now and then lol...as for waivers, not really sure about eyesight waivers, I know once you get into the pipeline your eyes can get worse, but how far I am not sure...on my last flight physical my eyes had improved to 20/25 without glasses and 20/15 with.....go figure....

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
spr said:
Is that typical for BDCPers? Do they always just send ya'll to meps and then wait until after OCS to give you the flight physical? Believe me I wished I would have known about the BDCP program, but I've gotten picked up for OCS as an SNA and they sent me to NAS Corpus Christi to get a flight physical. I wonder why the inconsistancy b/w the two programs?

Yes I believe that BDCP requires only a MEPS physical. I think that the flight physical is within the first few days of OCS, but maybe it's API - I don't know for sure. I've had a couple of major medical issues pop up since I got into BDCP and will likely have to pass another physical. I'm actually temporarily NPQ right now. When I get everything fixed I'm going to request going to Corpus to get a real-deal flight physical. That way I can put my mind at ease and quit worrying that they're going to "find" something wrong with me. But then again, if they do actually DQ me then I can kiss my BDCP paychecks goodbye...

STARS:
Number of stars is dependent on number of posts. I think you start out with gold, then move to silver (like LCDR and CDR I guess). Blue is for moderators, who automatically get extra stars. Red is for supermoderators like the webmaster. I think I covered them all - did I miss any?

Agent00JP

Hopefully you will not have something crop up at the IN-flight physical given the first week of OCS. I had to wait around in GTX for six weeks awaiting tests with DORs and general malingerers (which is against the UCMJ and punishable by Court Marshall), although they were not all bad eggs. The only candidates I saw NPQd wanted to leave or didn't want to wait in GTX to find out if they were NPQ, so they just told "The Kiss of Death" (a flight surgeon's nickname after his tendency to down/NPQ candidates at the drop of a hat) to NPQ them. Anyway, hope this helps, if it doesn't add to the confusion.

jburnes

how much of the physical depends on hearing? I passed an entry physical, but not sure how strict they are on hearing for flight physicals.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I"m going OCS, and I only did MEPS also. My understanding is that you don't do a flight physical till after OCS, before API.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
you'll do your NAMI (flight) physical day 2 of OCS. Your next physical will be sometime around your next birthday. (not as thorough unless it is your 25th or 30th birthday)

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
Nfo

except the eyesight, does all of it (everything that you guys talked about up to this point) pertain to NFO's also??? if this so-called flight physical is so hard, could some one post the physical? i'd like to know what they test people on. thanx in advanced

Chubby

If you get wammied, couldn't you just slide over to NFO, assuming you have the qualifications?

spr

Neocortex- I don't know why there is a difference b/w your physical and mine. I'm assuming you are an SNA, where did you physical? Did you meet with a flight surgeon at all? Did you have to get waivers for anything?

Demento

Old Salt
May I suggest

jburnes said:
how much of the physical depends on hearing? I passed an entry physical, but not sure how strict they are on hearing for flight physicals.

The night before your Flt Physical, sit around your apartment with yellow foamy earplugs in your ears, sleep that way, and make sure you have the volume up on the alarm clock.

I had to re do hearing tests on a number of flight physicals over the years as the right ear got worse and worse, and that is what the tech suggested I do to get the best results on the retest.

Best of luck.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
spr,
I'm Pro Rec'd SNA, still waiting on Final Select. Haven't seen a Flt Surgeon yet, haven't done a flt physical yet either.

jburnes

Demento,

Do you remember any of your hearing scores for your bad ear? did you ever have to get a waiver for it?

Demento

Old Salt
Eeeeep!

jburnes said:
Demento,

Do you remember any of your hearing scores for your bad ear? did you ever have to get a waiver for it?

Thanks for the question, but let me see if I recall the scaling correctly.

When I entered, I was fine and sweet, no decrement greater than a 10 on anything.

As I was around planes more with the crappy hearing protection we had then, it has improved greatly since, right ear has gone as high as 55. However, the tech tells me that it is a sliding scale (makes no sense to me) and the big problem for me was a 15 loss one year, on whatever the scale is that they use.

It was the magnitude of change that alerted the tech. I think I once tested a 60, but since I was already winged, they were not gonna toss me unless I retested better, which I subesquently did. (With foamies before test) that on that test got me back to a 40 or 45.

Not sure what you are facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.