• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I use a TangoDown full-size vertical grip on my main AR, and although it works well, it can be a bit too slick if my hands are sweaty and gloveless. And don't even get me started on using the grip switch for lights. Hate it with a passion, and only use lights in offset mounts that I can manipulate with my thumb.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The Bulgarian above is headed to the range tomorrow. With some dirt cheap commie ammo for it, too. I need to ditch the stock for something a bit more user friendly and juice up the rest of the rifle a bit, though.

CAMike

None
Contributor
The Bulgarian above is headed to the range tomorrow. With some dirt cheap commie ammo for it, too. I need to ditch the stock for something a bit more user friendly and juice up the rest of the rifle a bit, though.

Share with us how that Bulgarian milled lower shoots after tomorrow. Make, model, distance to target, wind, ammo brand etc.. I'm on the verge of another 7.62 but still mentally debating the whole stamped vs. milled thing again. I love red colored wood.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My options for commie 7.62 are limited around here, but I have a couple types of Wolf that I'm going to run through it. Once I get a better feel for what it likes, I'll make a bulk order that will last me awhile. The stock looks better in the picture than it is. The thumbhole aside, the finish seems minmal at best, and the previous owner dug a few minor gouges in it. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little elbow grease, but I plan, provided it shoots well, on building skills with it in a few competitions. I'd rather not compromise my shooting by worrying about the finish. Plus, the thumbhole design is shit.

My car was loaded before I had breakfast, but I forgot the range flopped to their winter hours. Now I have to wait until 1300 for them to open.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Range time complete yesterday, with mixed results. Conditions were partly cloudy comfortable temp in the high 60s, wind was negligible at about 5mph and mostly no-value from the rear with occasional quarter to half value gusts to around 7 (I left my Kestrel at home, so had to use grass). All shots were from 100 yards, just to see how the rifle shot.

IMG00263-20101117-1535.jpg

I've got a better feel for the Bulgarian, but the sights are absolute shit. The picture was the best set of groups that I shot, but admittedly, it's been awhile since I've shot an AK-style rifle. And the last time I did, I was more worried about the ANCOP cadets blasting me while my back was turned that mastering the weapon, but that's another story. Anyway, the sights and the stock are going to have to go. I've dug a bit and found a couple recommendations for Mojo Sights, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

What really made the afternoon fall into the 'mixed results' category, was my Glock 22 elected to catastrophically fail on me. Specifically, the ugly SOB fired two rounds with one pull, and when the owner of the range and I looked at each other in a, "Did that just happen," kind of moment, we tried it again. That time, it emptied the entire magazine. Something is definitely NOT right with the pistol, as they're not really supposed to do that. Looks like it's going to the armorer...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I've got a better feel for the Bulgarian, but the sights are absolute shit. ...
I finally gave up on AK/AKM irons and accepted what they are - which is not much.

Instead, I went w/ one of these (swappable between guns), it's 'correct', and it works fine -- lasts a long time.

Witness: the
Kobra Fast Acquisition Active Electronic Collimator Sight (EKP-1S-03) ... and that's quite a mouthful of borscht.

kobrareddot.jpg

Commie-Red-Rat-Rooskie-Bastard-red dot sight, a.k.a. 'KOBRA' ... but watch out for ChiCom 'clones (cheaper), unless you don't care about 'correct'.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Honestly, I'll probably just toss an aimpoint on it. Likely either a T-1 or H-1, mounted on a Krebs rail a buddy's going to toss my way for a six-pack. Same buddy is working up a special order from Battlecomp, threaded in godless commie heathen fashion, so I'll be in on that as well.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Honestly, I'll probably just toss an aimpoint on it. Likely either a T-1 or H-1, mounted on a Krebs rail a buddy's going to toss my way for a six-pack. Same buddy is working up a special order from Battlecomp, threaded in godless commie heathen fashion, so I'll be in on that as well.

I'm pretty sure you know about them already but just in case you don't I've had great luck with Ultimak rails on AK's. They are rock solid and perfect for scout mounting a small Aimpoint or other optic. Cost you more than a six-pack though.

http://ultimak.com/default.htm

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
That's actually what said buddy replaced the krebs with. I can't argue the price, though, even if he does owe me for that nvg mount...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With a thanks to those that helped me along the way, especially Rocketman who put up with my constant questions via PM... Here's my finished product...for now. Shot 19 rounds (had one failed to feed) before I ran out of time at the range. Looking forward to putting more rounds down range. I just need to get a new set of ears that don't impinge on the stock. It's always something else...

Thanks again for the pointers.

Attachments

• Firstbuild.floor.jpg
    Firstbuild.floor.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Firstbuild.table.jpg
    Firstbuild.table.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 36

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Nice! Are those Troy BUIS? Looks like you've got yourself a keeper.

What kind of ears do you want? I use all kinds, but typically I run my (ill gotten) Peltor Comtac II with surefire EP3s underneath. My hearing is absolute shit, so Im pretty anal about doubling up on ear pro. I also have various other sets of things that I keep around as backup and for visiting shooters, but I typically use the Comtac, as I got used to them in OEF (they fit under my helmet). MSA Sordin makes some nice electronic stuff, but I've only ever seen them, never used them. For plug style ear pro though, for the money, the surefire ones are awesome.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm a big fan of molded earplugs. My set cost about $50 but they fit under any helmet and are (at least in my opinion) much better than regular foamies and ears.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nice! Are those Troy BUIS? Looks like you've got yourself a keeper.

Thanks. Yes, it's a "BCM BUIS (made by Troy)," which just means it's a Troy site, as Rocketman said. Just made it easier to order it all at once from BCM.

What kind of ears do you want? I use all kinds, but typically I run my (ill gotten) Peltor Comtac II with surefire EP3s underneath. My hearing is absolute shit, so Im pretty anal about doubling up on ear pro. I also have various other sets of things that I keep around as backup and for visiting shooters, but I typically use the Comtac, as I got used to them in OEF (they fit under my helmet). MSA Sordin makes some nice electronic stuff, but I've only ever seen them, never used them. For plug style ear pro though, for the money, the surefire ones are awesome.

I was initially just looking at some Peltor Tac 6's or Howard Leights (which seem to get better reviews then the Peltors in that price range). A little less pricey than the Sordins or Comtacs. I have read great reviews for the Sordins though. Normally I'm all about buying quality first, but I'm thinking of starting with a less expensive option first to see what works for me and then go from there. I welcome opinions, though.

I'm with you on the hearing, though. I wear double hearing when I fly, in part because my helmets never fit quite right. I guess I'm old school though, just prefer foamies when I shoot/fly rather than some gucci ear canal alien probe device.

Looks like Troy BUIS unless it's BCM (made by Troy)

That 14.5" mid-length configuration ended up looking great.

I like it. Thanks again for the help. When you posted your pic a few days ago, I thought to myself, "that looks familiar!"

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have a set of Peltor 6s that went tits up on my after about a year. And I never really got them to fit all that well around my eyewear, either, hence another reason for double ears on my range days. The Comtac II is, minus the mic boom, double NATO radio inputs, etc., comparable in price to the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X. I think the NR rating on mine is slightly better, but not by much.

Personally, I like having the electronic ears to help amplify range commands, as I sometime shoot on the far away side of my local range and it can be a pain to hear there. It's also an advantage when I shoot competitively, as some ROs can be dicks if you misunderstand something. One near disqualification taught me that pretty quickly. I also like that I can wear my Comtac IIs under my helmet, less for professional reasons now that I'm out. But I still shoot the occasional competition that requires armor, helmet and other gear, so it's nice to have. Plus, I didn't have to pay for them.

One of the guys I shoot with regularly has a pair of the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs, and he loves them to death. He uses them at work, too, by plugging them into ICS when he's doing HRST stuff, which lets him not have to worry about swapping his kevlar for an ICS cranial.