• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
M17 >> M9. I’m so glad DOD finally dropped that Goddamned boat anchor.
Funny, I just requal'ed with the M9. Not a fan. The first time I qual'ed was with the Glock (NSW), prefer that over the Sig or the Beretta. I also shot the Sig with NSW before they switched to the Glock.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Many thanks to @ChuckMK23 for showing me how to disassemble/reassemble my former Cincinnati Police Department duty firearm [S&W 5946 9mm] yesterday…no pics…the disassembly/reassembly was a real poop show.

GroundPounder

Many thanks to @ChuckMK23 for showing me how to disassemble/reassemble my former Cincinnati Police Department duty firearm [S&W 5946 9mm] yesterday…no pics…the disassembly/reassembly was a real poop show.
My first semi that I carried on duty was a 4506. It did not seem so at the time, but it was a fricking boat anchor compared to our current weapons.

Our deputy Chief did not trust anything but a revolver, and grudgingly allowed us to purchase a semi, to replace our issued Model 64s, but they had to be Smith and Wesson. He was getting ready to retire when the Glocks first came on the scene, and his head about exploded contemplating people carrying a plastic gun with no safety. I honestly believe it hastened his retirement.

The strange thing is that he was ( is ) very intelligent, and has still flies the RV4 he built in the 90s.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My first semi that I carried on duty was a 4506. It did not seem so at the time, but it was a fricking boat anchor compared to our current weapons.

Our deputy Chief did not trust anything but a revolver, and grudgingly allowed us to purchase a semi, to replace our issued Model 64s, but they had to be Smith and Wesson. He was getting ready to retire when the Glocks first came on the scene, and his head about exploded contemplating people carrying a plastic gun with no safety. I honestly believe it hastened his retirement.

The strange thing is that he was ( is ) very intelligent, and has still flies the RV4 he built in the 90s.
@mad dog 's former service weapon, the 5946 is in the DAO (double-action-only) which was in vogue at the time with departments transitioning from revolvers. His 5946 has a crazy 12 pound-ish trigger. Many agencies came to realize the error in their ways and the mistaken belief that DAO was "safer". NYPD made the same error in their ways when the Glock 17 was introduced in regular service with a 10 pound "New York Trigger". Better training was always the answer - in similar vain to the silliness that lead to .40 S&W or even .45ACP being used as a caliber for law enforcement service weapons. Thankfully, we know better now!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Better training was always the answer - in similar vain to the silliness that lead to .40 S&W or even .45ACP being used as a caliber for law enforcement service weapons. Thankfully, we know better now!
No disagreement wrt training. But, 9 mm rounds have come a long way since the .40 S&W came about and some agencies doubled down on .45. You get a lot more out of factory 9 mm self defense rounds today then the 1980s, and for a time .357, .40 and .45 made sense. Considering frame size, weight of the weapon and reloads, recoil, and current bullet performance, there is little reason for a .40 or .45 in everyday carry, which of course cops do. IMHO.

JoeBob1788

@mad dog 's former service weapon, the 5946 is in the DAO (double-action-only) which was in vogue at the time with departments transitioning from revolvers. His 5946 has a crazy 12 pound-ish trigger. Many agencies came to realize the error in their ways and the mistaken belief that DAO was "safer". NYPD made the same error in their ways when the Glock 17 was introduced in regular service with a 10 pound "New York Trigger". Better training was always the answer - in similar vain to the silliness that lead to .40 S&W or even .45ACP being used as a caliber for law enforcement service weapons. Thankfully, we know better now!
Most of us know better now… my brother transitioned from the Army to the Coast Guard after 9 years and was unpleasantly surprised by the DAK for the M9. It took him a while to finally qual E. The new Coast Guard P229 is also DAK. It blows my mind that DAK is considered safer, rather than just harder to shoot accurately.

I loved carrying the 226, and when NSW switched to Glock, it was a matter of considerable jealousy that I kept my Sig. one of the benefits(?) of NECC funding in the NSW world! Good times. Now back to the mighty Cessna.

GroundPounder

Police trade in G17 Gen 2 purchased from local FFL - served 20+ years with a department. Lots of holster wear but barrel looked barely shot. Nice bit of ‘vintage hardware’. Serial number says 1990.

View attachment 38388
For those that are leery of police trade ins, don't be. It's more likely than not that the gun will have been fired less that 200 rounds a year, if that. For every Tackleberry, there are 20 folks that never shoot, other than the mandatory yearly requalification, which is probably a 50 round course of fire.

Like Chuck says, they may be cosmetically worn, but definitely not worn out. There are always agencies that are trading out guns, deals are out there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Given the ongoing range limitations I now have to deal with, I continue to be impressed with this firearm wizardry. I've been surprised I haven't had one feed issue so far.

53248681658_4af5620387_h.jpg

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Given the ongoing range limitations I now have to deal with, I continue to be impressed with this firearm wizardry. I've been surprised I haven't had one feed issue so far.

53248681658_4af5620387_h.jpg
I have an AR-9 with a 10.5 barrel and a “brace”. It is boatloads of fun, especially with the 30rd uzi stick mags.