• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving to JAX

SM60

Waverider
None
Going to be heading the JAX sometime in January and am looking for advice on apartments in the area.

As of right now I'm looking for single bedroom apartments in the soutside area. A few have been recommended including Villa Medici, Gardens at Bridgehampton, Madison at spring woods, Eagle rock II, and Lighthouse Bay.

I've never been to JAX (house hunting leave soon though). Has anyone lived at these apartments, if so, what's your opinion of them. Any input or other apartment suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

SM60

Waverider
None
NAS JAX, I know southside is about 30 minutes from base, but from what I've read it's a good place to live.

Carlos Caliente

None
Riverside/Avondale/San Marco

First of all, if you're single, have you looked into any of these areas? Riverside/Avondale is 6 m north of base, you're always going counter traffic and it's got lots of nice restaurants and bars. Quiet family life style if that's your bag too. 6 minutes to the north gate of NAS Jax or a nice, safe 23 minute bike ride. When I was there in 03-06' it took me about 45mins -1hr to get to the apartment complex across the street from Tinseltown during rush hour. Why slog it out in hour long commutes halfway across the greater Jacksonville expanse just to live 10 minutes closer to the beach? Do yourself a favor and check out Riverside/Avondale, my .02$.

Marco

Fleming Island if you're a family man, Ortega and Riverside are nice, I live in Julington Creek (across the bridge, south of Mandarin in St. Johns County). It's quiet, close to lots of restaurants and bars, plus it's only a 15-20 min. drive to the base (too bad I drive past it for another 20 min. to get to the Guard base). Even at 2 in the afternoon, the traffic isn't that bad....whatever you do, stay away from having to commute down Blanding Blvd. Horrible traffic, in my 19 years in Jax, it's only gotten worse. Southside is nice, lots to do, but I seriously wouldn't recommend it if you're going to NAS Jax.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
Lighthouse at Fleming Island came highly recommended. We're currently there, until husband completes FRS. If you're into the gym and/or running, you're walking distance to Achieve Fitness and the YMCA (I believe Bally's shut down..may be something else in it's place??) Plenty of sidewalks and routes. Husband averages 7 mile runs and has about 5 routes that he takes. Quiet community. Quite a few military personnel from NAS JAX. Rent rates top off in the $1200's. We're in a 3 bdrm/2 bth and lease a garage. Rent, Garage, Utilities, and our renter's insurance are all covered with BAH. For the area that we're in, it's one of the best deals going if you're not wanting yard maintenance.

If you're moving a family, we highly recommend it, though we have a single friend that's here. (Moreso because I feed him and the guys carpool!) ;) Elementary and High School are right down the road, as is the library.

SM60

Waverider
None
Thanks for all the replies, still looking around. Has anyone heard anything about the Westside area? The rent looked pretty cheap and it's close to base. Is it like the ugly step child of neighborhoods?

Marco

I grew up on the westside and like Carlos said, you don't wanna do it.
Steadily declining area in terms of crime rate going up, home values going down in relation to other sides of town, etc.

efini_kid

my father has a house in mandarin. right by mandarin high off of greenland road and it seems like its a nice area. havent spent to much time there but i was there last christmas visiting a buddy from HS-3 and it seemed to only take about 20 minutes to get to the main gates of the base.

helo_wifey

We just bought a house in Mandarin near the new hospital and it takes about 15-20 min in the morning to get to base (we're right near I-95). The area seems nice and fairly close to things. There are some condos and potentially apartments going up near us called Bartram Park that are close to shopping and the freeway...they look fairly nice. I think some of the websites are:

http://www.indigoapartments.com/
http://www.williamswalkcondos.com/ (condos for purchase)
http://www.prleap.com/pr/66581/ (info on the area)

Also, a guy in my husbands squadron lives out near the beach and says his drive isn't too bad (maybe 30 min or so) and likes being out there, but he ended up buying something out there.

becanada

Navyfan06 or other. I am retired in atl. my aunt is being transfer with a civilian company to Orange. I am trying to help her negotiate the area. She is looking to rent a house. can anyone suggest a person or real estate agency that is trustworthy? that can show or recommend an area / subdivision in orange or near by? reply to my email is great thanks

SM60

Waverider
None
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice. Definitly made picking an area to live alot easier. I found a place and will be moving there in the coming days.

SM60

Waverider
None
I went with St. Augustine by the lake. Nice apartments (especially the brand new ones they just built). It's about 15 minutes from base and 15 minutes from southside. Only hit the bad traffic after the exit and by then I'm only a few miles from the gate.