• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving Etiquette

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...and one of them left a nasty grumpy in my toilet.

That's just plain classless. Do people not know the multiple-flush technique when trying to deliver a rather pesky wrinkle-neck?

I, myself, try to take care of any dumping procedures prior to arriving at anyone's home.

helo_wifey

We just moved out of Japan and they did an amazing job packing up, efficient and nothing was broken. The experience on the Jax side of things was just as good, the movers were great. We don't have them unpack boxes though, just the big stuff as we like to go through box by box and clean house as we go to get rid of crap.

We always offer food, asking what they want because as someone said, pizza gets old. I've never thought to tip, but will definitely keep in mind next time we PCS if they go above and beyond.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
Flytpay is onto something!

Just PCS'd to Jax from Va Beach.

How about this for a carrier cutting back on employee expenses..
13 years of households, family of 4 with a 2 car garage, and 1800 sqft to pack up.
They sent (1) 50-something year old woman on an 8 hour shift to pack our entire house! I kid not.. I was waiting for at least one additional person to show. Now, she got the job done.. however, once we began unpacking.. hmmm.. I don't believe that anything beginning with the names Lenox, Royal, or Fine (as in *fine .. china) and wood frames should be wrapped together with old paintbrushes and trash. Oy!

For the physical movers, we supplied the outbound/inbound crews with lunch ($50.00 expense each time and gave both crews choice of 8 places nearby that I could pick up from - one group went with KFC and the other with pizza), Coke, and bottled water.

*If in question whether it's acceptable to tip, prior to the arrival of your HHG or your packup ask the coordinator/liason for the carrier (or HHG for your region) if tipping is even PERMITTED.. If this is your first PCS, keep in mind that tipping the outbound person/crew is absolutely no guarantee that your HHG will arrive safe and sound. Perhaps it will lessen the risk and your goods are packed slightly better. However, they should absolutely be providing that stellar service to begin with! If they are not, immediately stop them and call the coordinator. If you have a direct move and the trucker is getting immediately on the road, maybe your chances are slightly higher and the cargo is not unlooked or unloaded. If there's a time lapse, the truck may be unloaded and your HHG placed in a storage center and then handled 2 more times (for the reload and again with the unload from the truck when they arrive at your new home). That could be several different crews and even a different trucker assigned to dealing with your Williams-Sonoma, Ikea, or Haverty's..

One thing that I was impressed with, from our delivery driver, was that he brought in a box of tools and 'help-aides' for quick repairs. This was to his benefit, he said.. We took him up on it. He went through the furniture and tightened loose screws, reglued things that had melted from the heat during shipment. In the end, we had 1 piece broken off of a lamp (which I was irritated about) but it's a floor lamp, I threw it behind the leather couch. Figured it added character and memories to the place.. we can look back and hear my husband reminiscing about his Navy days saying, 'Ahhh, honey remember when that lamp broke during the VA-FL move b/c the SOB's didn't wrapped it and just threw it on the truck'. Can't beat memories..

WO_Flyer

pilot
My move from San Diego to P-cola was a disaster. I followed the tip/food/drink etiquette. After about 3 months I received my household goods. EVERYTHING was destroyed. I mean everything. From TV's, to leather couches, bedroom sets, golf clubs, brand new Trek CG bike.... Everything. Had 2 boxes missing that suspiciously had a lot of valuables (kite surfing equipment)

After about 4 months of claim nightmares, living with destroyed items throughout my garage and house, 4-5 claims adjuster visits, 3 attempted repair visits, electronic repairman visits, and a lot of low ball attempts by the civilian adjustment company. I finally recieved a check.

I think the pizza I fed them made them fall asleep on the road and crash. Apon recovery they then sold my kite surfing gear for some crack.. Bastards..

Covan sux.... FYI

Sub King

I tip the movers if they do above and beyond work, but I think some work ethics are not necessarily what they used to be. Feeding them is the minimum in my book, but as Flyboyd suggested building a little rapport with them during a shoot the shit session I think is far better than any monetary compensation. Food for thought for those of you who think paying large tips will ensure your furniture safety. Most moving companies and especially if there is a long interval between pickup and drop off at your next duty station, offload your belongings onto another truck into a central warehouse. This means that unless you're lucky another crew without your supervision will be moving your stuff around. Realize that people are people and mistakes happen even with good work crews with the best intentions. Unless your furniture took a 100 man hours to make and was carved out of a single piece of Bavarian wormwood it is most likely newer age crap and is easy to break during moving. If you're that worried about your furniture buy cheaper IKEA type stuff until you get out of the Navy and stop moving. Either that or move yourself like I did and pocket 10k if you're willing to put in the work.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I always feel like an asshole watching other people move my shit (yes, I know, its their job) so I like to jump in and help out.

While I also feel like an ass watching someone else move my shit, I was told that jumping in to help was a BIG risk. If/when something breaks, it's that much easier for them to claim that it was your fault, because your not a "professional" mover.

This was also relayed to me by a mover who unloaded my first PCS. They did a great job, granted I only had 3 things (a bed, an easy chair, and a motorcycle). I offered to take my motorcycle off the truck (if someone was going to drop it, I'd rather it be me). But was told that due to insurance reasons, I wasn't allowed to move anything, even small boxes. He was, so far, the only American mover I'd ever slap the "professional" tag on.

Japanese movers are so far above and beyond it's amazing. First of all, we had 3 guys pack everything up in the states, and had 10 to unload in Japan. Much more efficient. We moved into a 2nd floor walk-up, and they unloaded the entire truck/crates down stairs in the yard/parking lot, then one that spoke some english took 5 min. to walk me through, showed me my stuff, and told me exactly how they were going to move each major piece up the stairs and wanted to know the rooms they went to BEFORE they picked anything up. They were in and out in about 1 hour. They even stopped by a few days later to pick up any empty boxes we had and to ask if anything was broken. Great experience overall.

snizo

Supply Officer
Food & drink is probably the norm. Tipping, though? Heaven forbid people should do the job they're already getting paid to do these days... The only workers who warrant a tip are people who work for less than minimum wage (the restaurant industry). If Timmy wants $80,000 a year, he shouldn't expect to get it working at Starbucks...

I will say - the best crowd I had was in Pensacola ... and all I had to do was provide food/drinks & chat with them.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Food & drink is probably the norm. Tipping, though? Heaven forbid people should do the job they're already getting paid to do these days... The only workers who warrant a tip are people who work for less than minimum wage (the restaurant industry). If Timmy wants $80,000 a year, he shouldn't expect to get it working at Starbucks...

I will say - the best crowd I had was in Pensacola ... and all I had to do was provide food/drinks & chat with them.

With how many moves go in and out of P-cola, Timmy the mover probably makes close to $80,000!

incubus852

pilot
Open bottles of alcohol. And cold drinks. Has worked so far. I honestly don't think it makes any difference.

People generally are going to either not give a shit and break stuff or take the time to do it right. A $10 tip doesn't really influence anything. Lazy, crummy workers are lazy, crummy workers just as honest, hard-working people are honest, hard working people.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
When I PCS from Shore duty to OCS we did the standard breakfast, lunch deal and the movers still stole our couch and love seat. They didn't even put the couches on the inventory list. We were able to make a claim due to pictures of the items and receipts from the purchase, letters from neighbors that were there during the move and the fact that we got some of the cushions for the couch, just no couch.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I moved my houshould and profited more than $7k.....and I did not break any of my shit! Lesson freaking learned! Cha-Ching!

I moved my boat and profited more than $7k! The take away here, buy a Mastercraft and pack all of your heavy things in a truck and partial dity it :icon_smil

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm ditying myself from CRP to JAX. Hoping to make some decent coin on it since I already have a place lined up in jacksonville.

Can I deduct the cost of putting a hitch on my truck on my travel claim?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I'm ditying myself from CRP to JAX. Hoping to make some decent coin on it since I already have a place lined up in jacksonville.

Can I deduct the cost of putting a hitch on my truck on my travel claim?

Nope...tried...didn't work.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finding out the hidden secrets of DITY moves is great, but don't play too fast and loose to make money. They've sent some guys to Leavenworth in recent years (including one rocket scientist who loaded his U-Haul up with cinder blocks for the weight ticket).

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Finding out the hidden secrets of DITY moves is great, but don't play too fast and loose to make money. They've sent some guys to Leavenworth in recent years (including one rocket scientist who loaded his U-Haul up with cinder blocks for the weight ticket).

Wouldn't it be legal if they were his cinder blocks?