• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

swerdna

None
Contributor
Alright, I've been struggling with my statement for a while now and I could really use some constructive criticism. I am by no means a good writer, it was probably my least favorite part of college hands down. But here it goes...

If you get picked up, you are going to be doing A LOT of writing as an Officer. Which is not to say you need to be a Hemingway or Faulkner, but keep it in mind.

Everything in your statement should relate to the main point - why you would be a good Officer. The part with your grandfather is good, but you lost me when you said you didn't know where "there" was. If he was at the actual surrender, a simple google search would give you the answer, but I'm betting you are probably referring to his ship or something else. It's unclear which one you mean. Better to just drop that sentence.

What would be good is to take the part where you've worked with special needs kids and explain how you've learned to be patient and diligent because of it, and how you think these traits will apply.

Pick some things you've learned, like patience, dilligence, responsibility, then simply write about them and how you will use them in the Navy.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Hello AW community

- Leave off the specifics of your parents' military careers, you are applying for the Navy, not them. And the board won't care about their paygrades.
- Did all of your classmates really graduate with a 3.5 GPA or higher because of you?
- You're world experience is really impressive, but "multi-cultural Hawaii" sounds weird. Your experience seems focused in Korea, why do you want to work with China? Why not make it more broad and just say East Asia, or something like that? Are you fluent in Korean or Japanese? That would also help if you included it.

zsmall1

This is very good and you probably don't need to change anything, except maybe at the end. The last sentence seems more focused on what you'll get, try to make it about what the Navy gets from you.

On the side, it's probably better not to mention anything to anyone about the executives you didn't like, because it makes you sound a little jaded, and unfortunately we have some of those too.
@swerd thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Took the OAR yesterday and all went well despite the servers in Pensacola going down mid-exam denying me access to APEX for 20 minutes but luckily I survived. Now I'll be finalizing everything so I can submit my kit for the next SWO board in February. Really hope I find myself in Newport by next summer.

luvmychevy1951

Just finished it. Please tell me what you guys think!

Imagine if you will a skinny seven year old boy, eyes glued to a computer screen, peeking over his dads shoulder as he practices on a flight simulator. Donning a makeshift oxygen mask in his batman pajamas, he jumps with every close call and leans into every bank and turn. He begs his parents to take him to an airshow, just to see these military machines up close. He desperately wants a chance to see his heroes taxi down the runway, spool up their engines, and go screaming into the heavens.

That little boy was me and while it may be amusing to imagine, the passion for the military I had in the crowd that day took hold in my soul. In my formative years, I began a life of service by volunteering to help special needs individuals and working as an aid in a nursing home. The veterans told stories of an unshakable brotherhood and of a call to greatness. A call of honor, loyalty, and selflessness. This idea was the answer to the question I long held, the question of how I can be apart of something greater than myself.

That question is why I am before you today, and an explanation of everything I have done to this point. Honor, Loyalty, Selflessness, and Service… These qualities make leaders, make exemplary citizens, and most of all they are the qualities of a United States Naval Officer. I am applying to take on this responsibility, prove myself worthy, and to uphold the legacy set forth before me.

A role of this magnitude is not something I take lightly, it requires courage, hard work, and above all commitment. While in the Marines, I received an education in leadership first hand, witnessing the undeniable impact leadership can have on an individual. As a Naval Officer, I will draw from these experiences, both good and bad, to inspire those around me to achieve excellence. As a Mustang, I would offer a unique blend of realism and passion by combining my enlisted experience with my collegiate studies in aviation.

I have worked towards the day I would accept a commission and know the joy, the burden, and the sworn duty of being an officer. Difficult decisions must be made, and I hope you consider the skills and experience I have to offer the greatest fleet to ever to sail, the United States Navy.

exNavyOffRec

Just finished it. Please tell me what you guys think!

Imagine if you will a skinny seven year old boy, eyes glued to a computer screen, peeking over his dads shoulder as he practices on a flight simulator. Donning a makeshift oxygen mask in his batman pajamas, he jumps with every close call and leans into every bank and turn. He begs his parents to take him to an airshow, just to see these military machines up close. He desperately wants a chance to see his heroes taxi down the runway, spool up their engines, and go screaming into the heavens.

That little boy was me and while it may be amusing to imagine, the passion for the military I had in the crowd that day took hold in my soul. In my formative years, I began a life of service by volunteering to help special needs individuals and working as an aid in a nursing home. The veterans told stories of an unshakable brotherhood and of a call to greatness. A call of honor, loyalty, and selflessness. This idea was the answer to the question I long held, the question of how I can be apart of something greater than myself.

That question is why I am before you today, and an explanation of everything I have done to this point. Honor, Loyalty, Selflessness, and Service… These qualities make leaders, make exemplary citizens, and most of all they are the qualities of a United States Naval Officer. I am applying to take on this responsibility, prove myself worthy, and to uphold the legacy set forth before me.

A role of this magnitude is not something I take lightly, it requires courage, hard work, and above all commitment. While in the Marines, I received an education in leadership first hand, witnessing the undeniable impact leadership can have on an individual. As a Naval Officer, I will draw from these experiences, both good and bad, to inspire those around me to achieve excellence. As a Mustang, I would offer a unique blend of realism and passion by combining my enlisted experience with my collegiate studies in aviation.

I have worked towards the day I would accept a commission and know the joy, the burden, and the sworn duty of being an officer. Difficult decisions must be made, and I hope you consider the skills and experience I have to offer the greatest fleet to ever to sail, the United States Navy.

Dump the first paragraph and the first sentence of the second paragraph, no fluff, get to the point, and since you are going for SNA your ASTB scores will do the real talking.

SlimShady

The Real...
Supply Corps - Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. All constructive comments accepted... Thanks in advance!

Today is the day that leaders need to take the front and lead. As I watch what is happening in the world, I feel an overwhelming responsibility to stand up, take the lead, and give back for all that my country has afforded me. It is every Americans duty to serve, protect, and faithfully execute the ideals from which this country was founded. Afforded the privilege, I will gladly perform that duty with honor, respect, and selflessness, putting the needs of my country and the people with whom I serve before my own. I can best accomplish this as a Supply Corps Officer in the United States Navy.

I once served with an exceptional Senior NCO who taught me that an effective military must have the necessary resources to “shoot, move, and communicate” to maintain dominance on the modern battlefield. This also holds true in today’s business environment. I have spent the last 20 years in the business environment, with the vast majority at the executive level, responsible for the growth and development of the company and the personnel that drive it. The logistical responsibilities of my position, and all that that entails in a large organization, have been, and continue to be my forte. I truly believe that, provided the appropriate resources, even a small force can defeat the largest of adversaries, both in business and in our military. I will strive to ensure that I bring those same ideals, dedication to my craft, and business leadership to the men and women of the United States Navy.

Few people have been given the opportunity to serve in our nation’s military. I have had the honor of serving our great nation on more than one occasion, as a noncommissioned officer in the United States Navy, and as a noncommissioned officer in the United States Army. Through these experiences, I have had the privilege of not only teaching and leading our nation’s finest, but learning from and being led by our nation’s finest. It is time that I take those experiences, as well as the experiences gleaned from the business world, and share them with the people that serve in our great military today.

After obtaining my Bachelors of Business Administration degree, I’ve had extraordinary opportunities to work with several of the most respected companies in our country today. I currently hold the position of Director, Product Development, Black Book Division, a Hearst Business Media company. As a member of the executive team in this company, my team and I have played a critical role in the growth and economic advancement of our division and are currently developing products and supporting marketing concepts that will ensure company success well into the future. It is my responsibility to ensure that all resources, physical, personnel, business strategy, and deployment strategy are flawless in order to achieve mission success. The experience I have gained in both the technical and tactical aspects of today’s business environment will certainly be an asset as I serve as a Supply Corps Officer.

In my both my prior military service and my civilian career, I’ve proven that I excel in leading others and coordinating the efforts and all assets necessary to accomplish a common goal. I am an effective leader, and by earning a commission as a Supply Corps Officer, I will provide the United States Navy with a valuable resource. I will work diligently to lead, mentor, and develop the next generation of men and women who will carry on and represent the finest traditions of the United States Navy.

SlimShady

The Real...
oops - found a typo...Supply Corps - Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. All constructive comments accepted... Thanks in advance!

Today is the day that leaders need to take the front and lead. As I watch what is happening in the world, I feel an overwhelming responsibility to stand up, take the lead, and give back for all that my country has afforded me. It is every Americans duty to serve, protect, and faithfully execute the ideals from which this country was founded. Afforded the privilege, I will gladly perform that duty with honor, respect, and selflessness, putting the needs of my country and the people with whom I serve before my own. I can best accomplish this as a Supply Corps Officer in the United States Navy.

I once served with an exceptional Senior NCO who taught me that an effective military must have the necessary resources to “shoot, move, and communicate” to maintain dominance on the modern battlefield. This also holds true in today’s business environment. I have spent the last 20 years in the business environment, with the vast majority at the executive level, responsible for the growth and development of the company and the personnel that drive it. The logistical responsibilities of my position, and all that that entails in a large organization, have been, and continue to be my forte. I truly believe that, provided the appropriate resources, even a small force can defeat the largest of adversaries, both in business and in our military. I will strive to ensure that I bring those same ideals, dedication to my craft, and business leadership to the men and women of the United States Navy.

Few people have been given the opportunity to serve in our nation’s military. I have had the honor of serving our great nation on more than one occasion, as a noncommissioned officer in the United States Navy, and as a noncommissioned officer in the United States Army. Through these experiences, I have had the privilege of not only teaching and leading our nation’s finest, but learning from and being led by our nation’s finest. It is time that I take those experiences, as well as the experiences gleaned from the business world, and share them with the people that serve in our great military today.

After obtaining my Bachelors of Business Administration degree, I’ve had extraordinary opportunities to work with several of the most respected companies in our country today. I currently hold the position of Director, Product Development, Black Book Division, a Hearst Business Media company. As a member of the executive team in this company, my team and I have played a critical role in the growth and economic advancement of our division and are currently developing products and supporting marketing concepts that will ensure company success well into the future. It is my responsibility to ensure that all resources, physical, personnel, business strategy, and deployment strategy are flawless in order to achieve mission success. The experience I have gained in both the technical and tactical aspects of today’s business environment will certainly be an asset as I serve as a Supply Corps Officer.

In both my prior military service and my civilian career, I’ve proven that I excel in leading others and coordinating the efforts and all assets necessary to accomplish a common goal. I am an effective leader, and by earning a commission as a Supply Corps Officer, I will provide the United States Navy with a valuable resource. I will work diligently to lead, mentor, and develop the next generation of men and women who will carry on and represent the finest traditions of the United States Navy.

NavyBrat2015

Hello all, I am applying to Supply and was wondering if anyone who was selected for Supply would let me see the path you went in regards to their statement. I am trying to finish up my motivational statement this week and just want to make sure I am on the right track. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Workingoutsidemyfield

oops - found a typo...Supply Corps - Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. All constructive comments accepted... Thanks in advance!

In both my prior military service and my civilian career, I’ve proven that I excel in leading others and coordinating the efforts and all assets necessary to accomplish a common goal. I am an effective leader, and by earning a commission as a Supply Corps Officer, I will provide the United States Navy with a valuable resource. I will work diligently to lead, mentor, and develop the next generation of men and women who will carry on and represent the finest traditions of the United States Navy.

Ok, your second paragraph goes on to skills, but I did not find any examples on how you actually helped with growing the company. You have been in the Navy so you know about evals. Examples and numbers, like dollar signs and costumers counts, help to gain a bigger picture.

"Through these experiences, I have had the privilege of not only teaching and leading our nation’s finest, but learning from and being led by our nation’s finest. " this sentence and the sentence behind it is a bit wordy being that you repeat yourself in words before the sentence ended. Usually people repeat words in the sentences that follow the previous one, this helps to prove a point.

Ok...since you been in the field 20 years, it has not all been easy. List some challenges and how you overcame. List your greats accomplishment. Don't forget to input honor, courage and commitment and how you would use it in your Officer field.

Great start overall!

SlimShady

The Real...
Ok, your second paragraph goes on to skills, but I did not find any examples on how you actually helped with growing the company. You have been in the Navy so you know about evals. Examples and numbers, like dollar signs and costumers counts, help to gain a bigger picture.

"Through these experiences, I have had the privilege of not only teaching and leading our nation’s finest, but learning from and being led by our nation’s finest. " this sentence and the sentence behind it is a bit wordy being that you repeat yourself in words before the sentence ended. Usually people repeat words in the sentences that follow the previous one, this helps to prove a point.

Ok...since you been in the field 20 years, it has not all been easy. List some challenges and how you overcame. List your greats accomplishment. Don't forget to input honor, courage and commitment and how you would use it in your Officer field.

Great start overall!
Thank you so much for the input!

SailOnceMore

Hello, all. First, thank you for helping out on these motivational statements. Please have a look at my statement. I'm having a hard time closing it. Note that some information is redacted for opsec reasons. All suggestions are welcome:

I have always had a desire to serve my country. It was first instilled when my mother sat me down to watch the first space shuttle launch in 1981. That showed me just how awesome our country is. I wanted to be a part of that when I joined the Navy as an enlisted sailor. Now that I have a college degree and years of professional experience, I am happy to be in a position to offer my services once more as a Naval Officer.
When you select me for Officer Candidate School, you will be getting a man with an extensive education, excellent leadership skills, and a passion and insight into what people want in their leaders. I have worked for some really great leaders in the past and paid attention to what set them apart. These are all traits that I have incorporated into my leadership style:
• They inspire action in those they lead. They are able to paint a vision of the future that inspires people to do whatever it takes to get there.
• They are able to learn the strengths of their followers and use those to great result.
• They are optimistic and able to lift others out of the gloom. They can see the positives in their people and help them overcome their own self-doubts.
• They have great integrity. This is a key trait that people look for in a leader. If the leader lacks integrity, then there is no trust.
• They are good communicators. They keep everyone in the chain up-to-date with the latest information, as well as what has been good and what needs improvement. This engenders a feeling of belonging to the team in the follower.
• Effective leaders are decisive. They take available time to evaluate the information and then commit to a course.
A few years ago, I took the Clifton Strengthsfinder test. This is a useful tool from the Gallup organization to help people succeed by utilizing their strengths. My top five strengths are Command, Strategic, Responsibility, Futuristic, and Ideation. I am proud of these strengths. They perfectly describe what I am capable of.
• Command: Whenever possible, I am happy to step in and take charge when I see that I am the most competent in the situation to do so. This was me in the Boy Scouts where I rose quickly through the ranks to Senior Patrol Leader and Lodge Chief in Order of the Arrow and ultimately earning the rank of Eagle Scout. It was me aboard the <ship> where I naturally and easily filled the position of LPO of the electrical safety program. It was me as I participated in the <civil board> Board and quickly became its chairman. It is still me in the <community group> where I have just accepted the position of Treasurer and planner of some extracurricular activities. I step up to leadership positions without fear of confrontation.
• Strategic: I can see a clear direction through complex situations. This is because I am very observant and remember large amounts of information and position it into their relative places of importance. I use my professional and personal experience to judge how different scenarios will play out and know which ones are going to have the best chance of success.
• Responsibility: I follow through on my commitments. It does not matter what that commitment is, once I say that I am going to do it, then I do it to the maximum of my ability and effort. Often times, I’ve discovered that I end up doing better than I originally could have because I will learn a new skill or synthesize new skills from others that I already possess. I grow and adapt and exceed all expectations in the effort.
• Futuristic: I always have an eye on the future driving today’s success. This is being displayed right now in my time at <place of employment>. Our entire mission is to create the technologies and innovations that will keep the US military capabilities superior to our adversaries. This is one
of the primary reasons that I joined this organization. I want our men and women to have the best resources at their disposal to safely and effectively do their jobs.
• Ideation: I am able to see the underlying concepts that unite disparate ideas. Ever since I was a kid, I used to love solving riddles and lateral thinking puzzles. I have a great ability to pull out seemingly useless pieces of information and piece together the narrative that binds them together.
When I was ship’s crew aboard the <ship>, one of my favorite positions was as a trainer for the Damage Control Training Team (DCTT). I cared about the life and safety of every sailor working around me and I wanted to make sure they got the proper training they needed. I was tough at times, but I was fair and those under me respected that. That made me feel incredible. I knew that I was helping those sailors to be the best they could be and the success we enjoyed in drills validated my technique and approach.
Unfortunately, my career in the Navy was cut short for family. While I was in Hawaii for my knee surgery, my father passed away. This made it necessary for me to head back to <hometown> because he was the one who was caring for my mother who was ill with Multiple Sclerosis. It was unfortunate that I could not continue on in my career, but my family needed me. I went home.
Over the next several years, I stayed close to my hometown to be there for my Mom when she needed me while achieving my personal and professional goals. First, I earned a degree in Computer Engineering from <school> and was hired by <employer>. I became a subject matter expert in <field>. I reached out to my community and championed worthy civil rights causes. I earned a law degree from <school> to further my education.
I now live in <hometown> and am again free to tap in to my passion to serve my country. As soon as I got here and saw our mighty ships in the harbor, I felt that familiar leap of excitement in my heart. I knew that I had to again be a part of the Navy so within a few months of settling I started my application process for OCS. To reacquaint myself with the Navy while waiting for the selection board decision, I accepted an offer to work for <employer> under the ... Program. I now have a <level> security clearance and am working on developing advanced ship systems.

Last edited:

Manzo

Amicmanzo
I have written countless rough drafts and I have no idea how structurally sound it should be. Would anyone be willing to help me via PM?

swerdna

None
Contributor
Wrote a statement

- It's way too long, try to shorten it. I can't remember the word limit but you've probably gone over.
- Very heavy on "I" and "me".
- Seems like you have a lot to offer the Navy, but statements such as "I am happy to be in a position to offer my services" and "am again free to tap in to my passion to serve my country" sound, to me, like the Navy is a hobby of yours and those statements come off as a little smug.
- Sorry to hear about your family issues, but it might be better to leave that off. Immediately made me wonder if you'll leave the Navy again should there be any other issues.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good job now and are doing a lot for the Navy, are you sure being an Officer will be a better way to serve?

swerdna

None
Contributor
- It's way too long, try to shorten it. I can't remember the word limit but you've probably gone over.
- Very heavy on "I" and "me".
- Seems like you have a lot to offer the Navy, but statements such as "I am happy to be in a position to offer my services" and "am again free to tap in to my passion to serve my country" sound, to me, like the Navy is a hobby of yours and those statements come off as a little smug.
- Sorry to hear about your family issues, but it might be better to leave that off. Immediately made me wonder if you'll leave the Navy again should there be any other issues.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good job now and are doing a lot for the Navy, are you sure being an Officer will be a better way to serve?

Sorry, left off the good parts. You have a lot of experience in the Navy already, see if you can add to that, explain how your prior experience and personal qualities will benefit the Navy, instead of just defining them.

SlimShady

The Real...
Here is some gouge that will help, especially regarding MS length and content...

Criteria Upon Which You will be Graded on the National Level

There are six primary criteria upon which you will be graded against other applicants when your application reaches the selection board at the national level. Please keep these categories in mind when completing your application so that you can highlight your strengths in these categories. The criteria are the following:

1. Leadership: You can indicate on your resume, in your application, and in your motivational statement the leadership qualities that you have. You can highlight how your leadership will be an asset to the Navy Reserve.

2. Letters of reference: Your letters of reference can benefit you by demonstrating some of the following characteristics: your character, teamwork, work ethic, leadership, problem solving abilities, accountability in your position, etc.

3. Professional Experience: You should be able to demonstrate how your professional experience will benefit the Navy Reserve.

4. Academics: GPA of undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.

5. Physical fitness: Demonstrate in your application your physical fitness activities.

6. Motivational statement: Needs to be 400 words or less and highlight the assets you bring to the Navy Reserve.