• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MOS Selection

AndyK03

so for the guys that failed a new physical at TBS, what changed to NPQ them? Outside of the obvious injury or branch to the eye balls?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
so for the guys that failed a new physical at TBS, what changed to NPQ them? Outside of the obvious injury or branch to the eye balls?

A knee injury that had no effect on me before has recently gotten to a point where they think I will have severe trouble during the POI. Bravo company was booked so I got rolled into CHarlie from the start, so really no change for me. I just got moved from 7th platoon to 8th platoon (broke dick platoon). I have an MRI next friday to see if I need surgery. If not, then I'm back to picking up with Charlie. Otherwise I'm in mike for a while.

Edit: I forgot what this whole thread started being about and just jumped back in. I am not NPQd from flight status, just picking up with TBS for now.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor

Could be anything man. There are two types of flight physicals, long form and short form (Docs correct me if I depart from here). The long form is done every 5 years I think??, and the short every year, or something to that affect. The long form is the all inclusive poke, prod, draw, listen, monitor, test, and extensive eye - to include dialation, and is usually a full day affair. The short form just hits the wave tops of the long form in order to make sure everything is still where it needs to be and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours - depending where you are and how long the wait is ;).

Most of the time when an Air Contract gets lost due to an NPQ, it's usually because of something was found during that long form physical.

AndyK03

do they do the long form when you get contracted, as in the first flight physical? I am in the beginning phases of this process and have no desire to find out at TBS something crazy could keep me grounded. Not that I assume anyone is in the business of f'n Marines over, I just know how little things seem to come up at inopportune times.

Slammer2

Contributor
The flight physical you take before OCS is far more extensive than the stuff they give you here at TBS. At the medical portion, you stand a few paces away and read an eye chart just to get an idea. If you can read below a certain line (the smaller letters) then you're fine. If not, then you go to optometry. The flight physical in pensacola took a long time. So basically, unless you develop something in between, you will not be able to pass a flight physical and then fail the tbs one.

Clux4

Banned
A knee injury that had no effect on me before has recently gotten to a point where they think I will have severe trouble during the POI. Bravo company was booked so I got rolled into CHarlie from the start, so really no change for me. I just got moved from 7th platoon to 8th platoon (broke dick platoon). I have an MRI next friday to see if I need surgery. If not, then I'm back to picking up with Charlie. Otherwise I'm in mike for a while.
Edit: I forgot what this whole thread started being about and just jumped back in. I am not NPQd from flight status, just picking up with TBS for now.

Take things easy and heal well. TBS is a marathon!! :eek:

For those that want a flight physical done, try and see if you can get it done at Bethesda before you class up. (Especially if you are trying to get a flight contract at TBS). It is really hard to get it done once you get started and Main side Quantico is never opened on weekend for you to do it.
Personally, I am not a big fan of Naval Health Clinic (NHCL), Quantico. I think they are more oriented towards family and general care.

MettGT

pilot
Take things easy and heal well. TBS is a marathon!! :eek:

For those that want a flight physical done, try and see if you can get it done at Bethesda before you class up. (Especially if you are trying to get a flight contract at TBS). It is really hard to get it done once you get started and Main side Quantico is never opened on weekend for you to do it.
Personally, I am not a big fan of Naval Health Clinic (NHCL), Quantico. I think they are more oriented towards family and general care.

Actually, when I went through (2-08), they scheduled flight physicals for all that needed them. Albeit, I think it was on a Saturday morning (I didn't need one at the time). I would agree that they are more oriented to towards family care.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Actually, when I went through (2-08), they scheduled flight physicals for all that needed them. Albeit, I think it was on a Saturday morning (I didn't need one at the time). I would agree that they are more oriented to towards family care.

He speaks the truth. Navy medical goes through all the air contract records and decide who needs to get a physical done, and the company schedules the physical for you. I did mine the month before I left though because the welcome aboard package on the TBS website tells you to have a physical that doesn't expire before TBS ends. Better to do it prior anyway for many reasons.

yodaears

pilot
My experience with the flight physicals at TBS and Pcola differs somewhat from what is said here so if something has changed that I don't know about disregard. If your TBS company staff is on the ball then the air contracts will have flight physicals scheduled for them over at mainside. That being said it doesn't really matter. Something I have not seen mentioned here is the fact that every SNA must take a long form flight physical down at NAMI in Pcola regardless of whether or not they are up to date. NAMI's word is god. If they say no then it doesn't matter what Quantico says, you're NPQed. Hence the term "NAMI whammy."

Again, correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine things have changed that much in a year.

Slammer2

Contributor
...If your TBS company staff is on the ball then the air contracts will have flight physicals scheduled for them over at mainside...

You did your actual flight physical at the mainside branch? Or did you mean the mainside people organized your trip to pensacola?

yodaears

pilot
You did your actual flight physical at the mainside branch? Or did you mean the mainside people organized your trip to pensacola?

I had an actual physical at mainside on a sat. Most of the air contracts in my Co (D Co 04-07) had a physical at mainside on one sat. or another. But as I said, NAMI will make you take one when you get down to Pcola (docs correct me if this has changed) but it was true in Jan of '08. Seeing that NAMI is the authority of Naval Aviation Medicine I can't imagine that it has changed too much.

MettGT

pilot
My experience with the flight physicals at TBS and Pcola differs somewhat from what is said here so if something has changed that I don't know about disregard. If your TBS company staff is on the ball then the air contracts will have flight physicals scheduled for them over at mainside. That being said it doesn't really matter. Something I have not seen mentioned here is the fact that every SNA must take a long form flight physical down at NAMI in Pcola regardless of whether or not they are up to date. NAMI's word is god. If they say no then it doesn't matter what Quantico says, you're NPQed. Hence the term "NAMI whammy."

Again, correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine things have changed that much in a year.

Not true. If you've already been to NAMI once before (ie pre-OCS/commissioning/whatever) for a physical, you don't have to go back. When I checked in to MATSG, all I had to do was a short-form at the branch clinic.

yodaears

pilot
Not true. If you've already been to NAMI once before (ie pre-OCS/commissioning/whatever) for a physical, you don't have to go back. When I checked in to MATSG, all I had to do was a short-form at the branch clinic.

I stand corrected. What MettGT says is true, unless of course that NAMI physical has expired. My point is that any physical done at Quantico will be secondary to a NAMI physical once you get down to Pcola.

Slammer2

Contributor
I stand corrected. What MettGT says is true, unless of course that NAMI physical has expired. My point is that any physical done at Quantico will be secondary to a NAMI physical once you get down to Pcola.

Right NAMI sits on top of all that when it comes down to it. The last 2 years I have signed a sheet asking me about if I have remained in good health or received any injuries since my last exam. The only medical thing I've done since then was my inprocessing stuff at TBS that everyone did.