• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MOS Selection

gmc071188

I was looking at the MyMOS website and was wondering if that list of MOS's was complete. Just for instance, Is there an option for 0277 (Weapons and Tactics instructor) out of TBS. In that case I'm guessing one would need prior experience but I'm still wondering if that is a comprehensive list.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I was looking at the MyMOS website and was wondering if that list of MOS's was complete. Just for instance, Is there an option for 0277 (Weapons and Tactics instructor) out of TBS. In that case I'm guessing one would need prior experience but I'm still wondering if that is a comprehensive list.

No. You select for the particular community and then branch out once you get to that community and gain experience. Now, if you're in the Warrant Officer company then I stand corrected as that's an entire other denomination of voodoo that I know nothing about.

Don't worry too much about the specifics of MOS's right now as there will be many opportunities in TBS to find out everything you need to know about whatever MOS interests you.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you honestly think any recent graduates of TBS are qualified to teach weapons and tactics?

gmc071188

Interesting, thanks for the response. Also, is there usually a good sized need for intelligence officers, be it human, ground, or signals?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes there is always a tremendous need for Intel Os. TBS numbers varygreatly but even if you dont get it at TBS there are many programs that take Captains out of one MOS to move them to intel.

Yankee Uniform Tango
"[SIZE=-1]Lieutenants with guaranteed aviation contracts will only list their top 5 MOS choices on 3x5 cards to be used in the event they lose their contracts while still at TBS."

This happen often? [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]:eek: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
"[SIZE=-1]Lieutenants with guaranteed aviation contracts will only list their top 5 MOS choices on 3x5 cards to be used in the event they lose their contracts while still at TBS."

This happen often? [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]:eek: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Does what happen often, lost contracts or writing top 5 on a card?

Yankee Uniform Tango
Lost contracts...What others reasons would there be aside from, for instance, sustaining a physical injury?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
DUI, Any type of arrest, Sucking at TBS, Find something wrong with you physically (eyes, ears, heart - either while in flight school or at TBS), Myriad of Waivers not accepted. I have met or currently know Lt's in all of these situations, be it at TBS or here in flight school.

Oh yeah and the dreaded "Admin lost it" and "Why am I not a 7599 in MOL?" I dont know if either of those situations got fixed but I would be one pissed off Marine in either case.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
DUI, Any type of arrest, Sucking at TBS, Find something wrong with you physically (eyes, ears, heart - either while in flight school or at TBS), Myriad of Waivers not accepted. I have met or currently know Lt's in all of these situations, be it at TBS or here in flight school.

Oh yeah and the dreaded "Admin lost it" and "Why am I not a 7599 in MOL?" I dont know if either of those situations got fixed but I would be one pissed off Marine in either case.

What he said. I've seen the most grief coming from guys getting a new physical at TBS and being told they're NPQ. I also had a friend who DOR'd from IFS lately. I still havent figured that one out.

BTW, this stuff is always changing. F Co. used only MyMOS with no index cards. But then, our company has been a bit different all along, so there's that.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
0277 is an NMOS. As a Second Lieutenant, you can only select MOS numbers with PMOS next to the description. In the 02 field there are only 7 PMOS's but only 4 are available to second lieutenants. Interesting about the 3x5 card, though. Wasn't sure about that. I'm a little more at ease since I could easily pick 5 MOS's I'd do other than lick windows or grow hair.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
http://www.tbs.usmc.mil/All_MOS_Assignment_Process.asp

This is kind of outside the topic of the thread but I found it on the TBS site and it was pretty interesting. It shows how many LT's got which MOS in a recent class.
Note: it shows only 1 LT getting pilot, which I am assuming means that the flight contracts were not included in this chart.

Correct, kind of. The air, law and reserve contracts are not included in the voodoo. The pilot and FO contracts on there were the ones that they had available for those who wanted to compete for them (for that particular company). The amount of competing air slots available changes from company to company. - usually ranges from zero to 4 or 5 per.