• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Upcoming Uniform Changes

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I never knew of the restriction of wearing same category warfare pins, guess I never really thought about it. At one of my previous commands, I do remember seeings a prior enlisted pilot wearing his Air Warfare pin with his single anchor.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "no two pins in the same category" rule has always mystified me. Anyone have any idea of its genesis?

Anyway, it's a dumb rule and I'm glad it's finally going away.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... I think it's the reason aviators wear flight suits even on days they aren't flying; they are more comfortable...

Please impart your knowledges on me if I am mistaken....

Aviators wear flight suits as much or more so for the fact they are aviation specific. No one else wears a flight suit but aircrew. You are lucky you still have (actually lost and got them back) the leather jacket. Once we had exclusive claim to brown shoes (also lost and came back only to be diluted by surface types). Aviators ditch combo covers after OCS/USNA/ROTC. Today you fight for Aviation Greens. It isn't as much about comfort as group identity and exclusiveness. It is about pride and tradition. When possible, you should always chose Naval Aviation specific over anything generated by big Navy for the general fleet.

Knowledges imparted, carry on.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Actually, guys on LCACs wear flight suits too.

/threadjack

Pretty sure they also rate crew rest (at least the operators) and their training pipeline has a significant attrition rate. At least, that's what I remember from my amphib indoc course a couple years ago when my class had a field trip over to the Assault Craft Unit... and LCACs are pretty cool even if they use a lot of gas and can't carry nearly as much as an LCU.

KBayDog

/threadjack

Pretty sure they also rate crew rest (at least the operators)...and LCACs are pretty cool even if they use a lot of gas and can't carry nearly as much as an LCU.

They have crew rest/crew day limitations.

They are also considered "embarked" units, so they take up billeting spaces aboard the Gators (unlike the LCU crews, who live aboard their crafts) and spending a lot of time in the gym. LCUs are self-sustaining for several days.

LCACs make up for their limited payload in speed, for sure, but I'd take the reliability and payload of an LCU any day of the week...except that I'm in Chopper Command and don't have to. :)

BTW, the folks at ACU-5 had better never pay for their drinks on Catalina Island. LCACs ferried firetrucks/gear/crews over from the mainland during the Catalina fires in 2007.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I have been looking but I can not find the message that moved the Aircrew pin to the Warfare group. So currenlty anyone wearing both an Aircrew and EAWS are wrong until the new message comes out. Not really a big deal since it is about to be changed. Has anyone seen the message?

k2fourever

Slightly off the original post, but is there any new gouge on whether the SDKs are definitely coming back? I was talking with a family member the other day who retired about a year ago, and she said that she thought they had given up on bringing those back.

Obviously not a major issue, but her info was the opposite of what I've been reading on AW and elsewhere...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slightly off the original post, but is there any new gouge on whether the SDKs are definitely coming back? I was talking with a family member the other day who retired about a year ago, and she said that she thought they had given up on bringing those back.

Obviously not a major issue, but her info was the opposite of what I've been reading on AW and elsewhere...

Last I heard, they were doing some more wear tests on a couple of variants (short sleeve option, untucked blouse for the ladies, etc). There was something in Navy Times about it.

ADM Mullen has been seen rockin' the SDKs frequently, including testifying before Congress and overseas trips. The Great SDK Revival is kind of his pet rock, so it remains to be seen if it will survive his tenure as CJCS.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We need the next CJCS to be an old school aviator, who wears AWGs to every event on the hill.