• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Markg

Hey Everyone. I just joined this forum in hopes of learning as much as anyone will teach me in regards to everything from USMC OCS to the ASTB. At the moment I am training for the PFT that should be happening sometime following my one on one interview with my Officer Selection Officer. At the moment I'm running 5 days a week (5 miles on 4 of the days and 3 miles on the last one). Lifting 6 days a week. I understand how each of the sections of the PFT is scored, however, I don't know which sections go first or last. (Pull Ups, Sit-Ups, Run or Run, sit ups and then pull ups... etc...? Does anyone know if there is a set order to the PFT? At the moment I can do the 20 pull ups, the 100 crunches in the 2 minutes and run the 3 miles in about 22 minutes. The only problem is that I have to do it in that order. Any recommendations for training, the number of miles I should run, etc... Thanks :)

What has worked for me, was to mix up 1/2-1/4 mile sprints in with longer runs. For example, run 4-5 times week, and each day alternate between speedwork (sprints) and slower long distance runs. Every third week run a timed 3 mile to test out your progress. I've been following that pattern and it has worked well for me. At OCS, the longest run will be a 5 miler, so no need to exceed 6 miles in your training (and risk injury), but I would say to definitely do the speedwork. Our fartlek runs at Juniors were around a 7:00-7:30 minute/mile with some tough hills. Had I followed the pattern above prior to Juniors, the runs would have been much less of a struggle for me.

SemperFi88

Are PFT's done on a track, cross country trail, etc...? Does it vary with where you are doing it, or again is it at the discretion of the officer in charge of the event?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Are PFT's done on a track, cross country trail, etc...? Does it vary with where you are doing it, or again is it at the discretion of the officer in charge of the event?

At OCS the three mile run is performed on a big loop (approx 1 mile) around a part of the premises. Its completely flat and you will do 3 laps.

PFTs can be performed anywhere though. I think the only stipulation is that the course cannot be shorter then 2.8 miles or longer than 3.2 and should be performed on relatively flat ground.

Personally, I train on a track because I find that 3 miles on a track is some of the most boring running you will ever do. It makes the actual event seem much more enjoyable for me.

jtmedli

pilot
Personally, I train on a track because I find that 3 miles on a track is some of the most boring running you will ever do. It makes the actual event seem much more enjoyable for me.

I'm with you on that!!! Running on a track sucks but will help times out a lot.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
PFTs can be performed anywhere though. I think the only stipulation is that the course cannot be shorter then 2.8 miles or longer than 3.2 and should be performed on relatively flat ground.

Pure Marine Corps urban myth.

The PFT course is 3.0 miles. Period.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Pure Marine Corps urban myth.

The PFT course is 3.0 miles. Period.

I stand corrected then. Thanks for setting me straight. There are a lot of Marines who administer PFTs (like OSOs, etc..) who should be told this since they are who I got this bad gouge from.

The actual regs would concur with you. They make no mention of varying lengths for the course, just that it should be measured for accuracy. Touche, Sir.

Crowbar

None
The official answer:

3.0 Mile Run
(1) This is a timed event and can be conducted either indoors or outdoors.
(2) The run course will be 3.0 miles and must be measured for accuracy and set over reasonably level ground.

(4) The course should be an “out and back” or a wide loop course. The run course should not include numerous sharp turns that would force a participant to slow down excessively to remain on the course. A determination as to whether the track is a yard or meter track must be made and the track measured to ensure accurate distance prior to conducting the PFT. Run courses should not require a Marine to do more than 12 laps to cover 3.0 miles, (e.g., a course should not be shorter than 440-yards per lap). Running this event on a treadmill is not authorized.

SemperFi88

Thanks for the tips!

I'm really liking this whole track idea for times, etc.... and thank you everyone for the info on where it can be run, etc...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Do you also deliberately watch boring TV shows and movies because they make your life seem more enjoyable?:icon_tong

bash165

I am in AFROTC and im dienrolling to go through the PLC program. Whats the average drop out rate for Marine OCS? Do the DI's single you out if you have any prior leadership training or military backround?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am in AFROTC and im dienrolling to go through the PLC program. Whats the average drop out rate for Marine OCS? Do the DI's single you out if you have any prior leadership training or military backround?

1. We don't do percentages here; your mileage may vary anyway

2. The staff will put pressure on everyone and does expect more from anyone who is a prior or has been exposed to any type training. If you want it, you'll succeed, but it is not a piece of cake.

mattman215

i just graduated plc-comb on the 8th and its not easy but its not impossible as far as percentages go it doesnt really matter it all comes down to you and how bad you want it i iwll tell you we started with 65 and ended with 42

AJB37

i just graduated plc-comb on the 8th and its not easy but its not impossible as far as percentages go it doesnt really matter it all comes down to you and how bad you want it i iwll tell you we started with 65 and ended with 42

My platoon was pretty similar, we started with 65 and ended with 48. However, most those drops were before we even had pick up, a few were NPQs, we only sent 4 or 5 candidates to boards.