• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
WOW - that makes the COW almost as old as I am

So you don't sweep a Viet village during the 3 day war anymore?:D

The village is still out there, although I'm sure it has seen better days. I came across it during one of our land nav exercises.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
That sounds like TA-16 or maybe 18. Does LZ Snipe sound familiar?
Yeah, I'm gonna be of little to no help with that - I purged all of that from my memory as I was speeding away from there on graduation day :D

TTUalumn07

Hello all,

I am strongly considering OCS for either Navy or Marines. I have a great job for a great company, but it's not what I want to do with my life. I always wanted to fly Hornets for the Navy or Marines.

I need some words of wisdom to get a better idea of what OCS is really like in both Navy and Marines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TTUalumn07

Hello all,

I am strongly considering OCS for either Navy or Marines. I have a great job for a great company, but it's not what I want to do with my life. I always wanted to fly Hornets for the Navy or Marines.

I need some words of wisdom to get a better idea of what OCS is really like in both Navy and Marines.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello all,

Do a search on the forum, there is a lot of information about both and even a recent thread discussing the similarities and differences between the two.

For both services, you have to keep mind that you are an officer first and an aviator second. With that in mind, the path to getting your wings is long and arduous and you have to keep in mind that your dream of being a pilot could end at any point on that path, often for reasons out of your control. And even then, becoming a fighter pilot is no sure thing, the vast majority of Aviators in the Marines are helicopter pilots and I believe the majority of Navy Aviators are helo now too. The vast majority love what they fly, no matter what it is.

Good luck.

TTUalumn07

Do a search on the forum, there is a lot of information about both and even a recent thread discussing the similarities and differences between the two.

For both services, you have to keep mind that you are an officer first and an aviator second. With that in mind, the path to getting your wings is long and arduous and you have to keep in mind that your dream of being a pilot could end at any point on that path, often for reasons out of your control. And even then, becoming a fighter pilot is no sure thing, the vast majority of Aviators in the Marines are helicopter pilots and I believe the majority of Navy Aviators are helo now too. The vast majority love what they fly, no matter what it is.

Good luck.

Does the person at the top of his/her class usually get the pipline they choose?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the person at the top of his/her class usually get the pipline they choose?

Usually, but someone who would be at the top of the class one week would be at the middle of the class the next selection. And one week could be all helos, the next mostly jets. A lot of it is timing, pure and simple, something you will have little to no control over.

Just getting through flight school is an accomplishment, getting first in your primary class is a mix of accomplishment, timing and luck.

TTUalumn07

You fly the Prowler? If you do, how soon do they upgrade to the EA-18 Growler?

Oh yeah, and thanks for your feedback so far!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You fly the Prowler? If you do, how soon do they upgrade to the EA-18 Growler?

Oh yeah, and thanks for your feedback so far!

I used to fly the Prowler, I am no longer on active duty in the Navy. They are supposed to start switching to the E/A-18 in the next year with a goal to be complete by 2013 I believe.

You should really use the search function, it will help answer most of your questions.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
you know, while I was there for seniors this summer, I had a full video camera crew in my face at least half the time. I want to know when "OCS: The Motion Picture" is coming out so that way I can sue somebody for not paying me royalties.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
you know, while I was there for seniors this summer, I had a full video camera crew in my face at least half the time. I want to know when "OCS: The Motion Picture" is coming out so that way I can sue somebody for not paying me royalties.

they were annoying

one time PTI was talking to us, and one of the photographers got up on his table..... shoulda seen PTI's face, thought he was going to roundhouse kick him straight off