• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miserable Stash Jobs

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Agree - Amazing how so many folks weigh in on shit that's not there's to weigh in on.

the scoolbubba is frantically searching for a schoolhouse rock episode that explained the difference between there's and theirs.

some cartoon advice is worth paying attention to.

Reconjoe

now now boys...

wow...your all pretty brutal...this is not the way of the Jedi

No matter how shitty the job though, theres always some experience to gain in all that shitty-ness.....back when I was a young E3 doing RECAID for what should have been an easy summer so-cal beach front recruiting gig, I was instead handed over like a set of keys to an O-6 to be her personal monkey....every1 else was soakin in the sun and girls beachside....I was driving Ms. Daisy in LA traffic....but thanks to all that work I put in for her she ended up taking care of me months later by personally phoning my CO who she just so happens to have known (unbeknownst to me) and recommended me for some much coveted school seats and an accompanying special assignment tour that every1 at my unit was trying to score.....you'll never know what good can come from that posting until you finish it strong and then try to take what advantages you can from it. No doubt those contacts can be golden down the road.

Dont sweat all the flak being sent downrange, it's just their way of saying you need to suck it up and play it cool like a Jedi....and no matter what be as professional as you can about whatever work it is, and it will almost always come back to you in a good, good way.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
One day in college at Fat Ron's (McDonalds) I saw some poor soul wrangling a giant chud out of the can in the men's head. That image still keeps things in perspective for me when I'm asked to do something not so fun. Even our worst days can't be that bad. Hang in there.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Everyone, for the sake of peace in the forum, I concede. This thread was simply meant for people to share their crappy stash experiences. I thought it might be entertaining, possibly funny. Instead, I've become public enemy number one becasue I'm not in love with my stash job. My apologies to those that I managed to offend.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I generally never pass up a shot on a (wannabe) War Pig driver but I am curious...

...especially after the discussions arising from the infamous stash ensign version of the "Great Marianas Ibis Shoot of 2009"...

...what is the current state of the art stash ensign job...whether or not they be sucky or cushy?

For instance, 16 years ago I bravely filled an E-4 assistant PAO billet at the Dallas NRD for about three months...where I handled weighty matters like the renaming of the NRD newsletter and coordinating the PRT.

I still remember watching the command senior chief running the 1.5 mile in boat shoes...and smoking a cigarette. Made for a nice feature article in the "Red River Gazette", by the way.:icon_tong

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Ok, if you don't say anything else on this thread you might be ok. Don't argue with anything that may come down range. I'm sure it was an innocent post but ya gotta consider the entire audience. Good call on the edit.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
We've all had at LEAST a stash job in our time in the Navy, even just the flight school mafia. I blew through the program until advanced, where I had a 3 month wait. I delayed doing things until I got called to go work somewhere, took strategic leave and did whatever else I could to dodge stash work and deflect it when assigned. However, my last month before classing up, I got stashed at the HITU as the FDO (answering the phone, working the base radio, maintaining the flight sked in TIMS, filling out sked/ops paperwork at the end of the day) and other office work. I think that is normally a LT job, but they started giving it to stash folks at the wing.

Now, was that job any better or worse than yours? I don't know. But it was like 10-12 hours out of my day where I could have been sleeping/beach/working out/drinking and I did it without complaining. I'm not telling you that I didn't dread every time I had to go in, but for all the cool shit we get to do, sometimes you have to take your lumps and do something sucky/boring/lame. Either way, I made the most of it and chatted with the IPs/IUTs and read some books and tried to get some stuff done.

I'm not going to hammer you because I know where you're coming from. But I will say that I can see why a lot of folks who have really BTDT are coming down on you. And as a prior, you should KNOW how shitty it can get in the fleet (a LOT better than I do)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
OK my two cents.

I understand where Ken is coming from. Stash jobs can suck especially when the alternative is beach, booze, girls and time off.

I also understand where the fleet guys are coming from when they say STFU and make the best of it.

I do think Ken's post was meant to be sarcastic rather than serious. Generally to make a contest out of good natured bitching. But he misjudged his audience and did a crappy job getting his message across. Plus he never said he wasn't trying to do the best job possible.

Although I agree with Zab's initial post in this thread (and gave him rep for it), I think Ken's pee-pee is sufficiently whacked and it's time stop the dog pile and move on. Ken gets the idea and it is time to turn to his other questions - who else got crappy stash jobs and what are they? Obviously KCOTT's isn't bad. Many many years ago I was stashed at water survival demonstrating overwater para-sailing and the helo hoist once a week. It was a tough life but someone had to do it. I felt for the guys who got real stash jobs like Ken. Otto had the right idea - avoid a stash job as long as possible. That's also what we use to recommend every time taking a stash job came up. Avoid or take the easiest one possible as there was plenty of time to work your ass off once you hit the fleet. Why the change in attitude now?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
However, my last month before classing up, I got stashed at the HITU as the FDO (answering the phone, working the base radio, maintaining the flight sked in TIMS, filling out sked/ops paperwork at the end of the day) and other office work. I think that is normally a LT job, but they started giving it to stash folks at the wing.

No, it's a stash's job. The HITU/FITU isn't anywhere near as busy as a regular squadron or its FDO.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry Ken, maybe some day you'll get to spend 3 years on a "shore" tour pulling 10hr days of powerpoint and working 90% of your holidays and 50% of your weekends.

Understand your bitching though, I'd be irritated. Just be wary of what you post on here. Lot of guys have had REALLY crappy tours and would slay a box kittens to have it as good as you do.

All a matter of perspective.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
3+ weeks TAD to Millington for a command selection board. I learned more in that time about the "typical career path" and how to melt down a copier than I thought was possible. Getting to sit in on the VP/VFA/Special tanks made all of it worth it. To see how your career could be boiled down to a 45 second presentation from an O-6 who may or may not know you is kinda scary...