• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miserable Stash Jobs

phrogpilot73

I was stashed at TBS as the Land Nav section head for Leatherneck. We had Captain who was the OIC, and a Captain as the XO. In order to get any work done, I had to go through the TBS Land Navigation department. The Captain that worked there wanted me to do Mike Co Lt type shit (laminate maps, replace all the Land Nav boxes in all TAs for the switch to WGS-84), but I didn't have time (preparing classes, rehearsing, murder-boarding classes, etc...). Our OIC told me not to do anything other than what was related to Leatherneck (I replaced the boxes in the TA we were using, and laminated maps for the Mids). Go to get land nav cards for a prac-app, and get berated by the Capt in Land Nav that I was blowing him off, he could task me to do whatever he wanted, etc... Went back to our spaces, and it turns out that our XO was the next office over and heard the whole thing. "I didn't know that was you, I thought he was yelling at someone in Mike Co. I'll take care of it." He comes back a few minutes later with the cards, tells me to stay out of the land nav office from now on and go through him if I needed something from them. Spent the rest of my time dodging (per my OIC's instructions) the Land Nav Captain.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
...and get berated by the Capt in Land Nav that I was blowing him off, he could task me to do whatever he wanted, etc... Went back to our spaces, and it turns out that our XO was the next office over and heard the whole thing. "I didn't know that was you, I thought he was yelling at someone in Mike Co. I'll take care of it." He comes back a few minutes later with the cards, tells me to stay out of the land nav office from now on and go through him if I needed something from them. Spent the rest of my time dodging (per my OIC's instructions) the Land Nav Captain.

Goes in the column of "things that aren't supposed to happen between officers." That is, before you actually become one and realize that it's mostly the same shit, just on the other side of the tracks. Money says the land nav guy was less than a year into Captain.

Ricky Bobby

A Sailor bitching about his job?! Noooooo, say it ain't so!

I'm pretty happy with my stash job. Getting paid an extra $55 a day, 3 nights free at a major hotel chain and a new set of Callaway clubs. And all I gotta do is teach kids how to strap in and bailout of the -34. But I am going to have to put the hours in! T/W/Th 0500-1300. Oh, and I'm going to be in VA Beach.

Sounds like cortramid detail. I'm on it too minus the $55 a day, hotel stay, and days off. I get to babysit then hand them off to you to do the fun stuff. But hell, I'm a new Ensign what else am I qualified to do?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty happy with my stash job. Getting paid an extra $55 a day, 3 nights free at a major hotel chain and a new set of Callaway clubs. And all I gotta do is teach kids how to strap in and bailout of the -34. But I am going to have to put the hours in! T/W/Th 0500-1300. Oh, and I'm going to be in VA Beach.

I did that junk last year about this time. 'Cept I did it for 2 weeks and we worked 0500-1500 on the flight line at Oceana, then had to go back and do an extra 1-2 hours of paperwork. Work days sucked ass. 4 day weekends in Virginia Beach were quite nice, however.

Joe Snuffy

Man, some of these folks are bitter! Stop drinking the hater-ade and remember back when you were in this dudes shoes! Hey brother, keep the faith. The jobs come and go, some suck some don't. Just try to have fun where you can. I have been doing the aviation thing a lot longer than most and yep I spent my time boots on the ground in both combat AO's. The biggest tip I can offer is to keep your head down do what you are told and bust your butt to your max potential. You don't necessarily need to know the material you are putting together (it definetly helps), because I am sure it is getting chopped several times before it see daylight. Stay frosty brother, see you in the fleet!

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
There are definitely good stash jobs, and worse stash jobs out there.. I've had a few good ones, and some not so good ones.

My 'worst' one was everyday showing up at 0800 and alphabetizing 3-5000 pages of documents a day until 1600ish. Do that 5 days a week, and it'll burn you out (still doesn't hold a proverbial stick to burning shitters).

Just keep it in perspective and don't let yourself get too out of touch with reality. Getting paid $40,000/year for a 6/hr a day job isn't too bad in comparison to the civillian world!

The only thing that keeps it tough is when your buddies don't have any stash job and are out on the beach drinkin' ritas while you are working for months on end. The force evens it all out eventually though.

Think about it this way, you could be a SWO and have to do this stuff EVERY day!

Semper collating brotha.