• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miserable Stash Jobs

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I am currently in what is quite possibly the most miserable stash job in the history of stash jobs.

I work at the Naval Mine and Anit-Submarine Warfare Command CC (NMASW). I'm basically working for the Executive Director (retired O-6) and his Deputy (retired O-5). My day pretty much consists of walking in the door, being handed a stack of papers and told "make this into a powerpoint presentation that will later be viewed by a two star admiral." It wouldn't be that bad, except all of the SWO mumbo jumbo is completely greek to me. I can literally read it five time and still have no clue what it says and they expect me somehow know this stuff. They'll hand me a 28 page document and tell me to pick out the pertinent information. Its really frustrating, to say the least. Not to mention I work from like 0730 to at least 1400 daily.

So, as I'm sitting here overwhelmed by this mumbo jumbo, it inspired this thread. I've set out on a mission to see if this is in fact the most miserable stash job in the history of stash jobs. If you think you've ever worked in a more miserable stash job, please share.

-Ken

Bevo16

pilot
I can help you.

What you need to do is act really excited about the work, and then make sure that every slide has a picture somewhere in it along these lines:

223362780_53408fa541_o.jpg

610x.jpg

SHIP_Torrens_Destruction_by_Mk_48_lg.jpg

s1448475.jpg

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am currently in what is quite possibly the most miserable stash job in the history of stash jobs.

...words... I can literally read it five time and still have no clue what it says and they expect me somehow know this stuff. They'll hand me a 28 page document and tell me to pick out the pertinent information. Its really frustrating, to say the least.

So, as I'm sitting here overwhelmed by this mumbo jumbo, it inspired this thread. I've set out on a mission to see if this is in fact the most miserable stash job in the history of stash jobs. If you think you've ever worked in a more miserable stash job, please share.

It isn't like you've been ordered to burn shitters. Jesus Christ.

You're doing standard staff work. Waah. Have you asked anyone what it is that you're going over? If you don't understand something, ask until you get an answer. Maybe even learn something. Bloom where you're planted. At a minimum, you should become a powerpoint god. Maximum, gain some insight into another community if for no other reason to later be able to intelligently mock them.

Not to mention I work from like 0730 to at least 1400 daily.

You've lost all credibility right there. Seven hour work day? With lunch? Done by 1400? Shut the fuck up.

"Miserable"...ridiculous.

incubus852

pilot
I'll be interested what happens when these retired Os are thumbing through airwarriors while you're putting together shitty ppts and discern your identity.

What are you stashed waiting for?

Huggy Bear

pilot
It's not that you have it bad, it's that you know your peers have it so much better. It sucks that you were picked and have to do that instead of go to the beach like your peers, but oh well...

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It isn't like you've been ordered to burn shitters. Jesus Christ.

You're doing standard staff work. Waah. Have you asked anyone what it is that you're going over? If you don't understand something, ask until you get an answer.

You've lost all credibility right there. Seven hour work day? With lunch? Done by 1400? Shut the fuck up.

"Miserable"...ridiculous.

I'm not complaining about having to make powerpoint presentations, thats not the case. It would even be nice if they gave me the information and I just had to put it on slides, but thats not the case either. I have to build these pretty much from the ground up. Have you ever tried to make a powerpoint about something that you've never been exposed to? Pretty tough, isn't it?

And yes, I do ask questions. However, the guy who answers my questions has been in this business for 25+ years and doesn't understand (even though I've explained my lack of knowledge on the subject) that I am stepping into this stuff with no Mine Warfare background.

And regarding the 7 hour work days, yes it is miserable when its 7 hours of trying to bullshit your way through something you are completely unfamiliar with. I have worked 17 hour days on a regular basis during my time enlisted and had no problem with it because there was a job to get done, and I knew how to do that job.

It's not that you have it bad, it's that you know your peers have it so much better. .

That could have something to do with it as well :D

What are you stashed waiting for?

Advanced...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not complaining about having to make powerpoint presentations, thats not the case. It would even be nice if they gave me the information and I just had to put it on slides, but thats not the case either. I have to build these pretty much from the ground up. Have you ever tried to make a powerpoint about something that you've never been exposed to? Pretty tough, isn't it?

And yes, I do ask questions. However, the guy who answers my questions has been in this business for 25+ years and doesn't understand (even though I've explained my lack of knowledge on the subject) that I am stepping into this stuff with no Mine Warfare background.

And regarding the 7 hour work days, yes it is miserable when its 7 hours of trying to bullshit your way through something you are completely unfamiliar with. I have worked 17 hour days on a regular basis during my time enlisted and had no problem with it because there was a job to get done, and I knew how to do that job.

Welcome to being an officer. You'll be presented with these types of scenarios for the rest of your career. How you adapt and execute will directly affect how you develop professionally.

You can continue to bullshit for 7 hours a day. But if not knowing the background knowledge you see necessary to execute the assignment bothers you that much, maybe you should work later than 1400 in order to find the resources (pubs, online, in person) you need to succeed.

Find a mentor, read old presentations (never ever re-invent the wheel), dig through old files (paper and electronic), find your predecessor, ask one of the old guys to grab a beer after work...take the initiative.

Sorry. No sympathy on this one. You got jammed with a boring stash job, it will be over before you know it. How your experience goes will depend entirely on how YOU choose to execute your duties.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Gotta be on Zab's side with this one. Being in flight school spoils the hell out of anyone and you almost forget how boring and crappy normal jobs are at times. I was looking at some of the presentations I made during my pre-Navy life and I wanted to kill myself by slide three. Yes some peers have it easier but those are the cards that you've been delt so just play the hand and you'll be flying again shortly.

NA29697

My stash job was to check every internet port in Bancroft hall (the academy's dorm) with a hand-held pinger. What a blast! (That's, I don't know, over 4000 internet ports in around 2000 rooms)

Then while stashed waiting for API I had a job similar to yours. At least I was around aviators telling stories and I got some mad email etiquette and power point skills.

brownshoe

Contributor
And you guys complain? Me, I was supposed to go to AO "A" school when I got out of boot camp. Oh I went to, NAS JAX, where the school was located, but classes were full. I "mess cooked" for three f'ing months until I could class up. 3 AM in the morning until about 7 in the evening, seven days a week! (You older enlisted guys know ALL about this shit!) So, I don't want to hear any complaints from you officers about your stash duty.:D (All kidding aside though, it was great fun, I had a great time and I made some good friends.:))

Steve

MasterBates

As much as I am pissed about a 0630 and 0930 briefs for Simulator Copilot (with no events of my own) it's not that bad. I go to work 2-3 days a week at most. Rest of time, I study (riiiiight) and go to the gym (I really do that).

I've gotten way better at Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but Ghost Recon is still kicking my ass.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Hmmm. I work at the pool and throw buoys at drowning Ensigns. Guess I got it easy.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
You think it's a pain in the ass now? Wait till your married and have to deal with desperate housewives and oprah reruns after 7 hours of office work... I keed sweetie.