• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar to Close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw a news article on the Early Bird about BRAC lists, it was from the Jan 30th Wichita Eagle.

McConnell, like all other bases, is under consideration for closure or realignment. But the real list won't come out until May 2005.

The Internet makes it easy to circulate bogus lists, including ones that look real because they are attached to an official press release or carry an official's name.

But officials stressed Thursday there is no list -- even a preliminary one -- at this point.

Apparently there have been a few lists going around that are suppose to have the bases on the chopping block. The DOD was pretty emphatic that there is no list and it will not come out until 2005.

Whenever the official list comes out, don't take it as the final word either. It has to go through Congress and hometown politicians will fight tooth and nail to keep open their bases. As a matter of fact some have all ready started. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson from Texas tried to put language preventing any base in Texas from being closed in the latest Defense bill. I don't know if it succeeded but it shows that whenever the list does come out, it will be a little while until they are able to get it passed.

jrklr

I've never heard so much trash talking about SD in my life. Enrique said it well. I've lived there 20 years and dont really see any hippies, I hate hippies, and love SD: jets, beaches, downtown, weather. I'm anxious to know how many of you guys actually live in SD and know all these hippie locals that apparently are everywhere. And whats this nonsense about assholes on the I-15? It's no different than any other city freeway I've been on. You dudes just need to chill. (hahaha)

Gonzodogg

I have never even been to SD. All I know is BigWorm is my new hero. That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Easy gents. This is a discussion on closing Miramar not a personal attack on SoCal. Speaking as a kid from Dana Point I'm pretty confident I can speak intelligently about SoCal. The problem is not the born and bred Cali locals but a good portion of the transplants. As many people who love the military in San Dog, I speculate they are complimented by an equivalent amount who hate the military. If you are a stashed Lieutenant waiting to start the RAG you are likely to be assigned to answer the complaint hotline at base ops. Imagine, a commissioned officer and winged aviator, answering the noise complaint phone. Of course that was 4 years ago and there was talk about hiring a GS to answer the phone. Miramar recieves 1500-2000 noise complaint calls per week. Granted, 1/3 - 1/2 are probably "chronic" callers but it is enough to be noticed by politicians. The San Diego City Council was not happy about Miramar remaining opened. They did try to stop the Marine Corps from reoccupying their sovreign territory from the Naval infestation. (sorry, had to throw that in) The city council recognizes that a commercial passenger/cargo airport, one the size of Miramar, would bring in more revenue and jobs then the military could ever provide. I doubt they will ever close Point Loma or NS San Diego but I could see North Island also closing. If they can close El Toro and LTA, they can close anything. Personally, I say keep the power to the firewall so those little whiners can appreciate their tax dollars at work but I don't get to make those decisions. Semper Fly, Frumby

P.S. Did you know that there are more retired Naval Flag Officers living on Coronado then anyplace else in the U.S.? Guess who provides the majority of the complaints for North Island.....This directly from the station ops officer NAS NI.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ditto on that NI comment. Every JTFX that I have gone on there, part of the inchop was noise abatement. Crazy stuff.

Same story from Oceana, out in the middle of nowhere, people started retiring around it, then suddenly, damn those aircraft are loud, and the complaints start flowing.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought this was a good addition to this post. See the navytimes website for the full article.

From NavyTimes.com -

SAN DIEGO — Two Super Hornets fighter pilots are in hot water for flying fast and low in circles over a Northern California city earlier this month.
Officials at Lemoore Naval Air Station, where the F/A-18E pilots are stationed, received telephone and e-mail complaints from residents, most of them from the Sonoma County town of Petaluma, on the evening of Feb. 5.

... pilots were flying their single-seat jets on a routine training mission at the time. Complaints were “divided” between residents who complained about the jet noise and supporters who were glad to see the jets up close, he said. “They were supportive, but there were definitely people who complained.”

Status
Not open for further replies.