• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Recruiting Ads Thread

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They might look a little different than you and the hairstyles have definitely changed among many other things (Hair below the collar now?! The horror!), but they are still great people on the whole and I am proud to serve alongside them.
One of these days the Master Chief Mafia may finally realize how damn stupid it is to ban neatly trimmed beards in non-CBRN environments outside of imminent combat. Somehow literally every other English-speaking Navy doesn’t have a problem with this, and I doubt anyone can knock the pound-for-pound effectiveness of the Brits, Canadians, or Aussies.

number9

Contributor
That works two ways. /r/Navy might as well be /r/DisgruntledJuniorSailors.
I lurk in r/army because the chatter there is much more interesting and much more entertaining.. the two subreddits (r/army and r/navy) could not be more different.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
One of these days the Master Chief Mafia may finally realize how damn stupid it is to ban neatly trimmed beards in non-CBRN environments outside of imminent combat. Somehow literally every other English-speaking Navy doesn’t have a problem with this, and I doubt anyone can knock the pound-for-pound effectiveness of the Brits, Canadians, or Aussies.
It's not the Master Chief Mafia, it's the GS-15 and SES overloards.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm old enough to remember when memes didn't try to pack 50 references into one damn image. Get off my lawn, etc. etc. ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They might look a little different than you and the hairstyles have definitely changed among many other things

Yeah, but what's up with the silly mustaches? I swear I see a higher percentage of JOs that have them than the regular population. Do they think they look good?

Why don't they do something more fashionable, like wear Jams or Bugle Boy jeans.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Every old salt I talked to about beards before they were done away with talked about the reason they were banned is that few followed the regs, with most decidedly not 'neatly trimmed'.

Yeah, but what's up with the silly mustaches? I swear I see a higher percentage of JOs that have them than the regular population. Do they think they look good?

We had a mustache competition in my last command, for some reason all us old dudes ended up with far better 'staches than the younger crowd. Mine was...glorious!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Why don't they do something more fashionable, like wear Jams or Bugle Boy jeans.

My cone boat stache was awful, probably the worst one you have ever seen. And it was doubly horrible because I lived in San Diego and had to roll around socal looking like that for a couple months. Never grew another one, though I know plenty of people who grew them on deployment or for whatever workup/CQ det. There are some that can pull it off, I am not one of them.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal old guy pet peeve is folks running around wearing button-down shirts with no tie, but still having it buttoned all the way up to their neck.

That at least used to scream “I have no social skills; give me an atomic wedgie.”

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My cone boat stache was awful, probably the worst one you have ever seen. And it was doubly horrible because I lived in San Diego and had to roll around socal looking like that for a couple months. Never grew another one, though I know plenty of people who grew them on deployment or for whatever workup/CQ det. There are some that can pull it off, I am not one of them.

Sure, deployment is one thing. But these are twenty-something JOs not on a boat, presumably looking for (or already have) companionship, and they look like a TED. How have the females of the species not quashed this?

Every old salt I talked to about beards before they were done away with talked about the reason they were banned is that few followed the regs, with most decidedly not 'neatly trimmed'.

If only we could rely on some contingent of personnel to enforce such a thing. I suppose they're too busy making sure no one has their hands in their pockets or talking on the flight line.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I think a good number of us can remember when there were no memes, no smart phones, and the world wide web took 2 mins to log into. Like in college. Did you apply to AARP yet old man? :)

I remember when there was no World Wide Web for the average American family, and the phone was corded to the wall.

Where do I sign up for my walker and a monthly ration of ensure?