• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Channels Top Ten Helicopters

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Oh man, this show brings back memories. Me and some of the guys were watching that Top Ten Military Machines Marathon, and every time they said something we disagreed with there were Padron shots to be had. Suffice it to say we were drunk before the first show was over. (But not I, as I was too young to participate in the festivities at the time) That was the best rainy day ever...

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
The CH-47 Chinook was the number 7, I screwed up and wrote the CH-46 Chinook by mistake, big typo on my part. Sorry about the confusion, and thank you for the responses, there is a lot of good insight on the program from people here, and I am sorry I don't know which were the number 9 and 10. I was very surprised from the results because in the Top Ten Fighting Vehicles they had named the M113 as number one, so I figured the Huey would win number one here for sure. They did not even get into all the modifications that the Marines have done to the UH-1. The categories were things like Innovation, Service Length, Fear Factor and survivability (there might be one more, but I think you get the idea). They said they ranked the AH-64 number one because of all the advanced avionics equipment in the cockpit it introduced back in 1984. I thought the Cobra has been continuosly upgraded over time so that it has many of the same systems as the Apache, if not better in the upcoming versions, and the Cobra can operate from carriers, while the Apache does not would have made the Cobra a more versatile helicopter. Anyways, sorry for the confusions over the Chinook and thanks for the input. :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think the criteria lean towards most influential or dominant during it's time in active service, vice purely "best." Look at the tanks show, which put the T-34 ahead of the M-1. However, that doesn't explain the Huey's low rank, or the presence of the Lynx on the list at all.

MasterBates

No rotor brake. Occasional landings are not an issue, but staying at amber deck waiting for a head to wind down is a PITA.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
The rotors can't fold, so it would be very difficult to store below deck. Apache's can takeoff and land on carriers the same as other helicopters, it is storage that is the issue.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Don't have the hard numbers...I suspect someone here does...But I would bet that the Army operates many more helicopters than the Navy...just a hunch. Would explain why the show was Army centric...

Just found a number for the Army in an internal Army Department helicopter study... "approximately 7200"!!!

Damn...Don't we only operate something like 4000 aircraft total in the Navy??

The Army has more helicopters than the Navy, the Marines and the Air Force have aircraft total. This information comes from an Army recruiter so...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is there any reason an Apache couldn't operate from a ship?

Besides corrosion control (or lack of knowledge on the Army's part), no. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've operated off a Gator before, operationally. They'll do quals off of ships at times as well, but bobbybrock can shed some light on that.

EDIT: Do Cobras have rotor brakes? Skid?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The Army has more helicopters than the Navy, the Marines and the Air Force have aircraft total. This information comes from an Army recruiter so...

So...take it with a grain of salt??? I gotta throw the BS flag on that one. (well I guess on the recruiter not you...:D ;) ) There is absolutely no way...Gotta prove it.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
So...take it with a grain of salt??? I gotta throw the BS flag on that one. (well I guess on the recruiter not you...:D ;) ) There is absolutely no way...Gotta prove it.

The Air Force itself, not to include ANG and AF Reserve, doesn't have all that many aircraft. I believe the majority in the AF are on the ANG and Reserve rosters. Its all relative really.

bobbybrock

None
I think the 64 guys do deck quals every now and then. They really lack the range to go long. They flew their latest Long Bow Block model with us in Iraq and would have to stop for fuel when we didn't. I'm trying to think of a mission that might dictate them flying off the boat. I'm sure the salt enviorment wouldn't bode well on the avionics.
I think the Apache is looked at differently from the guys on the ground. It brings a lot to the fight.
It does have it's draw backs. The avionics seem to shit the bed a lot.
Look at Afghanstan in the early days of the war and the Cobra did just as well if not better. It has its draws backs.
A good air craft, but not number one in my book.

bobbybrock

None
As far as the Army having more aircraft then the other forces combined. I call bs also. Sarge at the recruiting office is pulling that out of his arsh. The Army has 10 divisions. Each division has an MFAB with I believe 108 aircraft . Training command has a ton, the fix winged guys maybe 200. And then the guard and reserve guys. I'm sure it is published somewhere.

The Army has 10 divisions

And then the guard and reserve guys.

Not each division has the same requirement for helos right? Unless the new reoriginization with has changed things. If I can recall the ARNG has alot to bring to the table no? Another thread just stated they bought 345 or so "UH-72s."

What would the total helos compare to the Army and Navy? I could agree that a total number of Aircraft would goto the Navy and Air Force...but with Helos I am not so sure. What would the total number of Navy Helos be? as well as Air Force?

phrogpilot73

10. H-13 Sioux (Bell 47)
9. Focke-Achgelis FA 223 Drache (Dragon)

Happy to hear that Skidkid thought so much of the Phrog to say that it should be higher. Unfortunately, the Phrog didn't even make the list. At least our big brother did. I was surprised that they didn't include the Bell 206 (TH-57). After all, its the worlds safest aircraft based on mishap rates, and it has trained countless aviators (both Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Army).

Agree that the Huey should be number one. Purely from its versatility and the fact that it completely changed the military's view of helicopters during the Vietnam war, and enabled us to be where we are now. Even though the Apache and Cobra are tied, without getting into classified stuff, I would put the Apache only one notch higher than the Cobra. Sorry Skidkid, think PsEm diagrams, amount of ordnance, and T.O.S.

If it was me, this would be my top ten:

10. Sikorsky R-4. What started it all.
9. Piasecki HRP-1. First tandem rotor, proved that it would be viable for the military.
8. Mi-26 - ungodly amount of lift...
7. TH-57 - Trains everyone.
6. H-53 - Pure lifting power.
5. CH-47/CH-46 - Pure staying power and versatility...
4. Mi-24. Great combination of assault support and gunship, even if it isn't as good as the Cobra/Apache.
3. AH-1W Cobra.
2. AH-64 Apache.
1. UH-1 Huey. Any doubt in your mind?