• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Channels Top Ten Helicopters

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
10. Sikorsky R-4. What started it all.
9. Piasecki HRP-1. First tandem rotor, proved that it would be viable for the military.
8. MI-26 - ungodly amount of lift...
7. TH-57 - Trains everyone.
6. H-53 - Pure lifting power.
5. CH-47/CH-46 - Pure staying power and versatility...
4. Mi-64. Great combination of assault support and gunship, even if it isn't as good as the Cobra/Apache.
3. AH-1W Cobra.
2. AH-64 Apache.
1. UH-1 Huey. Any doubt in your mind?

Did You mean MI-24?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This goes back to the what is the criteria, if it is historical impact then I agree with most of your list but the Cobra has been through so many iterations, it has operated from every environment on earth and yet again was the first helicopter to destroy a tank making it the daddy of all attack helicopters.

If you want to go pure what have you done for me lately snapshot sure the Apache has a PSEM advantage but they dont do any air to air. Sure it can carry more but our sortie rates are hihger so how much is showing up on station?

Gainesy

The Lynx is probably listed because it holds the Helicopter World Speed Record:
On 11 August 1986, the current world speed record for a helicopter was set by a British GKN Westland Lynx (G-LYNX, piloted by Trevor Egginton), when a test flight with experimental rotor blades topped 400 kph (249 mph) over a 15-kilometre course.

Personally, I think these comparison shows just demonstrate how dumb the producers are. Its like comparing apples and eggs.

phrogpilot73

This goes back to the what is the criteria, if it is historical impact then I agree with most of your list but the Cobra has been through so many iterations, it has operated from every environment on earth and yet again was the first helicopter to destroy a tank making it the daddy of all attack helicopters.

If you want to go pure what have you done for me lately snapshot sure the Apache has a PSEM advantage but they dont do any air to air. Sure it can carry more but our sortie rates are hihger so how much is showing up on station?
Good points, really I think I'd rate them as equal. The Apaches pluses are PSEM, 16 Hellfires and 3 hours of gas. Its downfall are its tactics (don't play well with anyone other than the Army, although that's changing - got a chance to work with them in Kuwait. A couple of the pilots had gone through MAWTS-1's FAC(A) syllabus and were beating the CAS drum...), maintenance, and sortie rate.

Cobra's pluses are that its proven, tactics are better (and more flexible), higher sortie availability, better maintenance rates, better pilots, simpler... Its downfall is gas, and amount of ordnance it can carry. Once the Zulu is introduced, the Cobra will smoke check any helicopter out there.

If you could take an Apache, rip out all the Gucci gear that is complex and maintenance intensive, put Marine Cobra pilots in it then you would have the worlds best helicopter...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The pilot of that Cobra was on the admin staff at the Citadel when I was there, he had retired by that time as Lt Col Larry McKay. He got a Silver Star for his actions that day, there is even a painting that was made of his AH-1 rolling in for the kill. You would have never guessed he was a steely eyed killer, he was very happy and genial guy who was a bit on the short side with a shock of white hair. Here is the painting and an account of the day and a bio of him:

http://www.ozarkairfieldartworks.com/thedefenseofanloc.html

http://pao.citadel.edu/biz_alumofyear

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Thank you Phrogpilot73, for completing the list. I was curious what the other two were, and I am amazed that the CH-53 did not make the list.

Lawman

None
Thank you Phrogpilot73, for completing the list. I was curious what the other two were, and I am amazed that the CH-53 did not make the list.

Ill put money on the fact that it would be the only non Army helo on the list flown by a US force.

bobbybrock

None
If it was me, this would be my top ten:

10. Sikorsky R-4. What started it all.
9. Piasecki HRP-1. First tandem rotor, proved that it would be viable for the military.
8. Mi-26 - ungodly amount of lift...
7. TH-57 - Trains everyone.
6. H-53 - Pure lifting power.
5. CH-47/CH-46 - Pure staying power and versatility...
4. Mi-24. Great combination of assault support and gunship, even if it isn't as good as the Cobra/Apache.
3. AH-1W Cobra.
2. AH-64 Apache.
1. UH-1 Huey. Any doubt in your mind?

If yopu are going to go woth versatility how can you leave off the H-60 series. It has proven itself in combat over the last few years. It is the only helicopter flown by All the services. The Air Farce does its initial helo training in the H-1. It is also flown by over 30 countries to include the IAF. As stated earlier it is the DAP platform for a reason. Versatility.
The MI 26 and TH-57/67 might belong on a civilian top ten list but not the military.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
At the Battle of An Loc, Larry McKay and his co-pilot, Barry McIntyre...

Wow, Larry and Barry, huh? Thats cool :D

P.S. As a layman, I think the UH-1 might be the best helo ever due to it's versatility and length of service. The AH-1 is a thin Huey, so I would consider them brothers...thus the airframe is the most versatile ever.

It seems the -60 and -64 are on there because they are newer.

phrogpilot73

If yopu are going to go woth versatility how can you leave off the H-60 series. It has proven itself in combat over the last few years. It is the only helicopter flown by All the services. The Air Farce does its initial helo training in the H-1. It is also flown by over 30 countries to include the IAF. As stated earlier it is the DAP platform for a reason. Versatility.
The MI 26 and TH-57/67 might belong on a civilian top ten list but not the military.

It's not flown by all the services, USMC doesn't fly it... It is a great helicopter, and incredibly versatile. I thought I had included it, but I guess I forgot it. If it had to replace one, it would be the TH-57/67.

I included the Mi-26 because its flown by NATO and the Russian military. I will agree that most of their customers are civilians. With that thinking in mind, shouldn't include the Chinook, because Columbia helicopters flys the hell out of them. I specifically had the TH-57/67 on the list, because of the sheer number they train. I don't think it necessarily doesn't belong on the list, because again - the H-60 is flown in civilian configurations as well... That's the reason I used the military designation.

bobbybrock

None
HMX-1 has I believe has 8 VH-60's. It might not be a lot but it is still a Marine owned air frame. At the present time the Firehawk Company out Forida is the only US civilian operator of the S-70. of

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HMX-1 has I believe has 8 VH-60's. It might not be a lot but it is still a Marine owned air frame. At the present time the Firehawk Company out Forida is the only US civilian operator of the S-70. of

Give the man a cookie.......or something :D . I see HMX-1 birds all of the time at work, including the VH-60's. The HMX-1 birds look very nice, the paint jobs are quite a bit nicer than the standard Navy/Marine gray paint job. I believe they use the VH-60 because it is easier to transport. Oh yeah, I believe the H-60 is the only aircraft used by all 5 services.

vh60.jpg