• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60S with a M197 20mm cannon!

Flying Toaster

None
I never thought I'd see Navy and Marine chopper dudes getting into Richard-measuring contests.

Add the AF to the mix... The punch of a 20MM for messing up small craft would be nice, but they could always just get the 60G external mounts. They can be both set to fixed forward and released in seconds. One can make a pass with both GAU-2's or Gau-18's, while the FE and gunner can still break them loose and cover rolling off. Also makes training a hell of a lot easier when they can fix them forward at anytime without any involvement from MX.

FF to 1:05 and then 4:24 for some fixed forward fire-

I hate to ask, but how hard would it be to make an aiming system? I understand the difficulty during the day, but at night you all you'd need is one of those AN/PEQ-2 infrared illuminators and some duct tape. Just don't get LM involved or it'll cost 5 mil a piece.

teabag53

pilot
KBay, no doubt. I can' figure out whether to laugh at the absurdity or cry out of embarrassment...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I never thought I'd see Navy and Marine chopper dudes getting into Richard-measuring contests.

This thread needs to be a sticky.

This is embarrassing.

Navy guys, you do know that the Marines will go out and lob a hand-full of Hellfire just because it's the end of the FY. How many has the typical Navy HAC shot?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The one in my picture is the only one I have ever shot (or will for that matter). I think maybe only one pilot in the squadron at the time had more than 1 shot and he did the OT on them at VX.

teabag53

pilot
^^^I think your part of the brain that detects embarrassment (i.e. retarded argument in the first place) may be malfunctioning. This whole exchange is about as dumb as me trying to convince a Phrog guy how 53's are SOOOO bad-ass. In the end, it's a Special Olympic race at best...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Impressive. Most Navy HACs have shot at least 10-15.

I would have guessed about 13-14 less than that. Maybe I should have considered only combat shots.

I realize that keeping the hoards of submarines at bay while simultaneously fast-roping SEALS onto rooftops of secret Al Qaeda safe houses and snatching up downed pilots behind enemy lines under heavy fire is making your vertrep and starboard D skillz atrophy, so maybe your community should invest its money on equipment that more directly impacts your actual primary mission. I'm not sure that mounting a forward firing cannon onto a cargo chopper meets that requirement, but then again, you're the expert here. Not me.

I'm going to go off and practice HALO inserts in my C-12 now.

I know.....I know........I just made the "no pickup list".

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
be nice to know if the v-22 guys think they need something like that.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
^^^ ... LOL I wouldn't touch that game with a ten-foot pole.

As bad as it looks, it would impress me if the military could come up with a "training sim" that looks as "good" as that game...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How many Torps has the typical USMC HAC shot? ;)

That's the point. I know Navy helo pilots aren't supermen. I mean really, you've got Otto.

GOOD assault support is a full time profession. That's what "NSW support" really is. Don't tell me different--I've carried Recon, MARSOC, SEALs, Rangers, etc.

GOOD CAS and fires is a full-time gig, too.

While I think VERTREP is completely over-advertised as somehow being cool, the Navy guys claim it takes skill and training, so I'll take their word for it.

SAR, when actually performed, vice turning circles in the D, can be pretty challenging, too.

Either you all are rockstars (and having been an HT IP, I know you're not), you get unlimited flight hours, OR you are going to accept some degree of sucking at all or some of these tasks.