• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60S with a M197 20mm cannon!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The range at Clemente (where I've dropped at least 20 torps) is so scripted for Torp-Ex quals that it is the rare exception for a crew not to get a qual. (PCO Ops is a completely different story!!)
My argument is simply that a crew shooting one a year does not really train us to do our job effect. My Department Heads who all were brought up on Russian subs would drop multiple weapons a year, to include runners against real subs.
Today, we go up against a 6 knot sled to get a weapon off the rail....

I've never flown at San Clemente, so I can't speak that particular range, but at AUTEC and PMRF, this was not my experience. In fact, PMRF in the winter is pretty varsity because the MDRs are pretty low and the PRDs are almost useless (whales humping apparently make a lot of noise). The targets weren't quite as cooperative as you describe, either, but from what I've seen, that's more a matter of how the evaluator decides make the scenario.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
San Clemente is designed to give a crew the qual, nothing hard about ops out there. AUTEC depends on what is going on; Real subs are cake, and the sleds are only hard if the evaluator throws in a good profile.