• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

gatechfan28

Naval Aviator
Completely agree. I’ve had the same experience in my current squadron. We haven’t had issues getting aircrew (and sailors) back in the fight if they haven’t been prescribed medication and aren’t a danger to themselves. A few weeks down has been a non-issue.
What kind of diagnosis did they have, and what types of medications?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of diagnosis did they have, and what types of medications?
No medications prescribed for any of them as far as I’m aware of. Anyone that was prescribed anything was left home from deployment. For diagnosis, mostly depression/stress related.

I can’t speak to your community, but I found my chain of command and the VAQ community to be incredibly supportive of people with mental health issues. I pulled myself from the flight schedule for several weeks during workups as I struggled with intense grieving at the one year anniversary of losing my infant daughter.

Not only did they set me up with the onboard psychologist, they also respected his recommendation to send me home a week early to be with my family on the actual anniversary. They also set me up with free counseling through Docs on Demand (mental health telehealth) and our wing psychologist. Once I worked through everything, I went back to him for a return-to-flight evaluation.

While I’m sure a longer-term issue would have caused some more administrative headaches, I feel like the process for a temporary mental health downing was handled very well.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Off the record, for a friend, of course. I’m trying to get some information regarding processes for being DQ’d while on flight status (Tactical Jets).

Long story short, there’s a high probability that “my friend” has been diagnosed with “Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe” as well as anxiety and PTSD and has been suggested to get placed on medication from this outside doc.

Unfortunately, this is obviously a hard downer, and as far as I can tell, and waivers aren’t recommended after treatment for multiple episodes.

My questions for “my friend” are:

1. What is the process once DQ’d after winging with about half your commitment left? Are you sent through a FNAEB? Do they take your wings or just ground you?

2. If grounded, what does the Navy do with you? Are you punished and sent to a ship for 4 years or do they send you to Diego Garcia to continue your depression but on an island? Or do they medically discharge?

3. If medical discharge, what’s the process there?

Thanks, for the “academic” help, “for my friend.” I’m sure this question has been asked, but I can’t seem to find much for current aviators in a situation where the NAMI waiver guide says it’s not allowable.

First, as someone who's struggled with stuff, that's not a diagnosis I feel is handed out lightly. So please make sure you friend gets the help they need. It may be time to temporarily prioritize themselves over work/coworkers/mission. I won't presume to know what the Navy doc will say, they may disagree with the civilian doc.

A full DQ just reverts you to 1300 designator, you keep your wings. I've had two friends go through this for mental health (although not as severe), one didn't redeisgnate and got out after 2xFOS and the other was an O4(SEL) and redesignated to AEDO. At "half way" through winging commitment, that's shore tour, so if it's flying they may move to another local command (wing?) to run it out and then go to a sea tour to finish their commitment, or redesignate to another designator and be at the mercy of that detailer. Pros and Cons either way.

A medical discharge could be in order, but that's the doc's decision. I would caution against purposefully playing for this as a quick exit if they want to fly again in a civilian capacity. If it starts to go down the Medical discharge route, I would consider getting legal counsel.

BT BT

To this larger discussion about mental health, unfortunately we in the military in general and aviation specifically treat it too often as a personal failing for not being resilient enough or some other bullshit. So we stigmatize it, and then put folks on narrow timelines in your career to stand out and not be "different". So it's not shocking people suffer in silence until they break, self medicate with booze, or seek help outside official channels. In addition to militaryonesource, consider www.giveanhour.org . I've heard plenty of good reports from them, and it's completely outside the military system.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I watched this special on Netflix and was very impressed. The Netflix special was awesome in and of itself, but the books, and tools are pretty awesome as well. Resources like this are what needs to be part of the conversation going forward . . .

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What if someone needs short term meds? For instance, postpartum depression?
Not sure to be honest. In my opinion that should be a non-issue as well, but I’m sure it could cause issues with being in a flight status or if a squadron was gearing up for deployment.

navypilot555

Navy pilot
I can imagine something like this would fall into the category of "it depends", since none of us here are doctors and (2) we don't know your medical record more than you haha.

Get seen, get treated and hope for the best.
Thanks for the response. Mainly just looking to hear if anyone has seen or knows the details of medical downing / disqualification after winging and in the squadron..

That is why I said it would be good to ask the doc on the status so that could be part of the conversation with those figuring out what designators would be in play.
Please help me out here.
Im applying for TSA and so I had to provide my last visit to a clinic or emergency room.
I went on my medical record and found out that there was an anxiety diagnosis from 2018(I had a crisis from failing all my classes and having to transfer colleges).
However in 2020, the issue (anxiety) was put under the “resolved” list.
Since then I have graduated college and not had any anxiety.
I have also not taken any medication for anxiety, it was just a result of bad circumstances.

Would a note from my primary doctor be of any help?
No doubt MEPs will see it.
Do you think this is a dream killer?
I know you are going to say talk to your recruiter but you must have dealt with a situation similar to this.
Will this stop me from commissioning?
Please let me know.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Please help me out here.
Im applying for TSA and so I had to provide my last visit to a clinic or emergency room.
I went on my medical record and found out that there was an anxiety diagnosis from 2018(I had a crisis from failing all my classes and having to transfer colleges).
I have also not taken any medication for anxiety, it was just a result of bad circumstances.

I know you are going to say talk to your recruiter but you must have dealt with a situation similar to this.
Please let me know.

I would definitely get a present doctor’s note, saying you’ve been fine and off the meds for some time now.

I didn’t have any issues mental health related other than a concussion. I also had a laundry list of things found by MEPS.

You will most likely get DQ’d at MEPS. Don’t worry about that. You’ll submit that current doctor eval to N3M which approves/disapproves your status. I got DQ’d for 6 different things at MEPS. All of which got waived, and I just got picked up for SNA.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I would definitely get a present doctor’s note, saying you’ve been fine and off the meds for some time now.

I didn’t have any issues mental health related other than a concussion. I also had a laundry list of things found by MEPS.

You will most likely get DQ’d at MEPS. Don’t worry about that. You’ll submit that current doctor eval to N3M which approves/disapproves your status. I got DQ’d for 6 different things at MEPS. All of which got waived, and I just got picked up for SNA.

Mental health though is important to say the least… and is a different ball game in relation to getting waivers approved. Be honest and up front about it, and that will give you the best chance to get everything approved.

I hear you.
I never took any meds tho. I just have the diagnosis for anxiety on my medical record.
However on my medical record, anxiety is under a section that says “Noted - Resolved” so I don’t know it that means my anxiety diagnosis was updated or thrown out.

Congrats on the SNA select.

exNavyOffRec

Please help me out here.

Please let me know.
You will need to talk to your recruiter and he will need to provide all of your documents for review.

The fact you didn't require medication is one thing that could help.

You will need to talk to your recruiter and he will need to provide all of your documents for review.

The fact you didn't require medication is one thing that could help.
Okay thanks for replying.
I still need to retake the ASTB.
So I’m not at the stage where he needs to submit documents.
But I will text him tomorrow and see what he says.

exNavyOffRec

Okay thanks for replying.
I still need to retake the ASTB.
So I’m not at the stage where he needs to submit documents.
But I will text him tomorrow and see what he says.
He can submit documents at any time, the process could be involved and take a bit of time for you.