• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memorable IFS moments & quotes

SixBeersIn

pilot
I flew IFS with a partner: one up front with the instructor, one in the backseat “learning”. It was a great setup; both my partner and I did well and passed the Navy’s introductory program with no serious problems. Just like any students, however, we hit plenty of memorable bumps along the way. Through the process, we developed a healthy relationship of teasing and trash-talking with our instructor. Here are a few of the more memorable lines exchanged between instructor and student.

During the first ten or so hours:

“Okay. Try and maintain an altitude of 3000 feet. Okay, 3300 feet….3700 feet. How about we pick an altitude and try and maintain it.”

“Let’s get on a heading of north…heading of north…heading of north. Maybe you should look at your compass….get on a heading of north.”

“I’m gonna staple that checklist to your leg.”

“You guys don’t seem to think much of a stall at 3000 feet. That’s okay. One day you’re going to have one at 200 feet. Call me and let me know what you think then.”

At the time of our first solo flight (Crestview Bob Sikes Airport):

“I can’t let you solo until I see two good landings...okay, can you get me just one good landing?...okay, close enough. I’m getting out now. Just remember, you’ve got 4 hours of fuel; you can fly this pattern all day. If it doesn’t feel right, for God’s sake go around.”

“That landing was sh*t-hot. Now, if only you could do it in the middle of the runway.”

(Instructor and partner get back in plane after successful solo outings)

“You know sir, the plane sure climbs a lot faster without my partner and your fat ass in it.”

While simulating an emergency landing onto Crestview Airport’s runway:

(Instructor pulls throttle all the way off)

Instructor: “Allright, you’ve lost your engine. Where are you going to land?”
Student: “I’m taking runway 35, sir.”
(Student glides plane onto final approach)
Student: “Sir…I’m coming in a little low. Can I have some power, please?”
Instructor: “No you can’t have any power; you’ve lost your engine. Maybe if you’d get your airspeed right you wouldn’t be in this mess.”

(Students switch places and take off again)
(Instructor pulls throttle all the way off)

Instructor: “Allright, you’ve lost your engine. Where are you going to land?”
Student: “I’m landing right there on 17.”
(Student glides plane onto final approach; plane is now over runway)
Instructor: “This doesn’t look quite right...you may want to go around…power… POWER!”
(Stall warning horn goes off. Plane hits runway HARD).
Instructor: “Why didn’t you put the power on and arrest your descent?”
Student: “Sir, you said I had no engine and couldn’t have any power.”

(After the flight, instructor finds a cosmetic crack on the strut by the landing gear. There is no actual structural damage)

Instructor: “The strut didn’t have that crack when we took off. Yep. You broke my airplane with your awesome landings.”

After we pretended to taxi off without our instructor:

“Guess I’d better call the cops. It’s been a while since I’ve seen an Ensign eat concrete.”

At the final flight, the solo cross country:

“I never watch your landings any more. If you can’t land the plane by now, there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it.”

“If you get lost, you don’t need to worry about what the Navy’s going to think. I’m going to shoot you myself when you finally find your way back.”

After successful solo flights from Crestview to Marianna and back:

“I especially liked how you were calling ‘west of the airport’ when you were coming from the east. Just so you know, everyone at Crestview and Eglin could hear that…and they all knew where you were.”

“I think I’ll type my comments on your final grade sheet instead of handwriting them; that way I can fit more in there. You’ll probably get lucky, though, and the Navy will smile on comments like ‘cocky’ and ‘smart-ass’”.

“You guys sure are slow learners. You like to run your clock up all the way to the limit. You must take after your flight instructor.”

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My "finest" moment was starting the engine on the Traumahawk, having neither the parking brake set nor my feet even close to the brakes, doing 135 degrees of pirouette as I jammed on the brakes, and taxiing QUICKLY away from the windows before anyone else saw me...awesome solo!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Was that Mr. Miles?

I had him and that sounds like stuff he said to me.

I was just going to ask that. He's a great instructor. I flew with him for my PPL as well---much more laid back than in IFS.

Although if that were him, there would be a lot more 'bad juju', 'makes sense to me', and 'i like my [insert maneuver here] better.'

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Oh that had to have been Mr. Miles. The phrase "Throw me in that brier patch" will haunt me for life. Or "Lets kicks this can down the road."

My favorite moment was right before our stage one check my partner was flying(of course at 4am) and doing a power off stall. Unfortunately for me I was doing a little napping/reading in the back while having the volume in my headset turned down all the way when he attempts to recover but instead of leveling off he pushes the nose into quite a dive. In this recovery Mr. Miles helmet bag along with everything else the the back seat hits me in the face. Once I turn back on my volume all I hear is "Terrible, just absolutely terrible."

torpedo0126

my most memorable moment was absolutely fucking up the traffic pattern at my XC solo airport, and then trying to land without a clearance...landing was good though.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
not really that funny, but i laughed at the time.

IP "you owe me a beer for every landing you bounce"

a few passes later, on an exceptionally sporty landing: "fuck it. that last one was a six pack. I'll never make it to work if you keep this shit up."

FlyinRock

Wowwww...you mean I'm not the only IFS instructor that uses curse words?
makes me feel sooooooooo much better
Rocky
lemme see, according to 100's of critiques over the past 5 years or so, I can recall 2 students complaining about profanity. The rest seem to do OK. I wonder where those two went thru OCS ?? I wonder if they are still in the military?

WALI_1980

I don't think I really ever fu**ed up anything that badly to get yelled at. However, doing touch n' gos at De Funiak springs I just couldn't pronounce the name of the damn airport. There was no tower around but the other cessna (IFS) and any other traffic hearing me had a blast.

Me: "De Funkiad, no De Funkiak, I mean De Funiak traffic, this is N65525 (Actual number of the aircraft I flew at IFS; Eglin) turning final runway ....

ENS Bush (Also in the pattern): "Grammar School not flight School for you."

Unknown aircraft: "When is the next time you're flying here, I'm gonna bring my wife"

After that, I always tried to avoid going anywhere near that airport. I rather stick with the gay pattern they had at Eglin.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I'm taking off on my 2nd flight ever in IFS, instructor states, "Your flying sucks!" Thank you Captain Obvious.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, Mr. Miles and IFS. First time ever at the controls of an airplane, damn near ran off the taxiway, and no-kidding departed the airplane on my first power-off stall.

Other Milesism that came to mind. Explaining some concept related to flying, "Now some guy from [fill in your alma mater] might tell me it was X. And a guy who went to [fill in partner's alma mater] might tell me Y. But really it's Z . . .

Are there any instructors now teaching IFS who will get you through in two weeks? Mr. Miles was the best preparation for Primary you could have gotten back then. But Eglin did some shady stuff; they wouldn't let you solo inside the Eglin airspace, so the instructor hopped out at Crestview while you flew to Andalusia, which was not technically a XC by the FAA. Found that out when I had to pay for my own XC solo when I got my PPL . . .