• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memorable IFS moments & quotes

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You have to be pretty much retarded to fail IFS. The course is designed purely to see if you can handle basic aviation as cheaply as possible (180/hr vice 1800/hr)

Most peoples grandparents could get through the program by listening, studying, doing a little chairflying, and not being a total goober. The very few people I actually saw fail IFS had attitude problems and weren't going to make it anywhere in the Navy, brown or black shoe.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Just finished my cross country solo, kind of bittersweet, I'm glad to have the check in the box but I really enjoyed Destin. It's too bad the Navy isn't sending more studs there it was a great atmosphere and great people to work with.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just finished my cross country solo, kind of bittersweet, I'm glad to have the check in the box but I really enjoyed Destin. It's too bad the Navy isn't sending more studs there it was a great atmosphere and great people to work with.

Don't worry....you will fly a T-34/T-6 soon and never look back :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

No more destin? those guys are awesome. well, some were...

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
No more destin? those guys are awesome. well, some were...

Yep, no more Destin, Big Navy kind of screwed them over but those decisions are made way above my pay grade. The school was about 85% dependent on Navy IFS so when the decision came down they had to let go of half their staff, good people to. But I guess that's going on everywhere these days.

ZahirM

On my first cross country, I totally fucked up my wind corrections by using an outdated forecast. We got lost almost immediately on our way from Bay Minette up to Waynesboro. Oddly, we approached an airport that looked like Waynesboro based on how it looked on the sectional from about 15 miles away. I knew that Waynesboro is a small, one runway airport. As we got closer to "Waynesboro," I looked down and saw not only three runways, but a whole squadron of KC-135 tankers. I look at my instructor and say: "I........don't think this is Waynesboro." The instructor was like: "No.....Fucking.......Shit. Now turn us the hell around and lets get out of here." I found out later that we had missed Waynesboro by God knows how many miles and flown to the Hesler-Noble airport in Laurel, MS.

Our OBS had been acting squirrelly up the whole flight, and we were so far from Mobile that couldn't get any clear communications from Approach. We flew all over God knows where, the instructor cursing my guts out, and it wasn't until we somehow flew over Jackson and the Alabama river that I knew where we were.

That flight was extraordinarily embarassing and I hated that instructor for letting me get lost, but looking back I learned so much from him and respect the hell out of him. When I flew the same route again for my solo, I hit every checkpoint on time, did touch and goes at Waynesboro and Wilcox (Chatom, AL) on time, and made it back to Bay Minette right on time. I never would have done so well on the solo had I not fucked it up so majorly the first time.

Are you SERIOUS?? If you hit that base you were in Restricted Airspace buddy :D... Who was this instructor? Nathan?

FlyinRock

Zahir
Have they made you Chief Instructor yet? <ggg> Ummmm do you recall the name of that new instructor who got lost in the north practice area on his first dual flight...?
I got extended here and won't be home till end of month now.
Rocky

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I had Rocky for my solo checkride...the man taught me more in 40 minutes than I had ever thought possible. I had heard about what a heartless Marine he was and in my nervousness stomped HARD on the brakes doing the pre-taxi checklist. He said something like "Jesus, you trying to spill the Admiral's coffee everywhere?"

Great guy, I'll never forget that flight. We also did some weird crosswind approaches on 18 at KBFM, great confidence builder. Make it home safe, Rocky!

ZahirM

Zahir
Have they made you Chief Instructor yet? <ggg> Ummmm do you recall the name of that new instructor who got lost in the north practice area on his first dual flight...?
I got extended here and won't be home till end of month now.
Rocky

haha! Rockyy! I was hopin to catch you here! I heard you're down in Africa training guys. We miss ya man! We had good times and you were the best we had..(and definitely the best pilot I've flown with) Too bad our flight had to be cut short. Its still pending..haha!