• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Media's Coverage Has Distorted World's View of Iraqi Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

I remember taking meterology class in college. I could tell early on that the two professors were very strong envirnomentalist, but to my suprise they kept the class away from personal rhetoric and focussed on the material.......until the last two weeks of class when they started preaching. I mean most everyone I know is an environmentalist to some point (aka no one wants to trash the earth for our future generations), but I just had to say something for reactional purpouses. So on the week before the finial, one of the Profs was preaching, telling us to save energy when ever possible, and that everyone "NEEDS" to do their part. I blurt out (completly kidding) "Who Cares!!!".......that did not go over to well, and the preaching was directed at me for a while in front of the whole class......while I was laughing because it was totally a joke. "You should care about your envirnoment".....blah blah blah.... I personally do....I just dont need a Professor that students pay too much money to teach to tell me.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
I mean most everyone I know is an environmentalist to some point (aka no one wants to trash the earth for our future generations), but I just had to say something for reactional purpouses.

That's like saying everyone you know is a communist to some point because they share something of theirs.

Environmentalists drive me crazy. Societies would stop functioning if we did what a lot of their crazies want to do.

azfirebillboard.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CONSERVATIVE? LIBERAL? Listen to the Master ..... Sir Winston.

Winston Churchill said:

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

But before any "Libs" on this forum get all "loosey-goosey" on me, please note that the picture (below) was the form of Sir Winston's "Liberalism" in his day --- not what passes for "liberal activism" with so many spineless idealogues and academics of today.
winston-1896.jpg

Young Winston Churchill as a
Subaltern in the 4th Hussars,
February, 1895

For the record: I was a liberal in my youth --- and I "liberally" practiced all the destructive youthful indescretions that could have ended my flying career and/or my life --- had said "liberalism" continued into my present state of maturity and bliss ....... :)

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
I told you what I thought. If you have a better answer.. I'd love to hear it
Sorry, sorry, didn't exactly mean it that way (so hard to type and read accurate tone on internet forums :icon_wink )

So the consensus I'm drawing from everyone's posts is that because professors spend their lives in their "ivory towers" (yes, I've heard the term before) and never held jobs in the "real world," they're liberal. Ok, let's discuss this.

I find it very interesting that people who have devoted their entire lives to teaching and the pursuit of knowledge through science vote (predominately) for Democrats. I also find it very telling that (some) Republicans seem to go completely out of their way to distance themselves as much as possible from the more highly-educated people in our society (the professors and scientists). I remember seeing graphs as part of a study from a few years ago. Long story short, one of the graphs plotted gun ownership versus education level. The lower one's education level, the more likely that person was to own guns. A separate graph plotted gun ownership and people who vote Republican. The more guns one owned, the more likely they were to have voted Republican. Now, combining the two graphs, and well -- you see what I mean.

To be fair, we should also tackle the opposite question: Why do people vote Republican? (Hey, I've actually got a thoughtful answer here!). I think a large part of it has to do with how the Republicans have been able to use political language in order to frame issues in such black and white terms that they take what were once complicated, nuanced debates, and make them into two starkly polarizing options. The Estate tax becomes the "Death tax." Anti-abortion becomes "Pro-Life." Pro-death [penalty] becomes "Tough on crime." See what I'm getting at here? By using political language (someone dig up a link to Orwell's famous essay) in this way they've reshaped the debate so Democrats can't possibly compete. TV "debate" shows like Crossfire and Hardball simply play into the Republicans hand because those shows attempt to determine who is winning , not who is is being truthful. What weve got is a stacked system where the very words, the very language used to convey ideas is manipulated so conservatism subconsiously takes root in the public consciousness. It's utterly brilliant, and then you add in the majority of elected Democrats who are spineless bastards who won't won't/can't counter the Republicans with any counter-strategy of their own.

Well, that was a long post, but what do you think?

Patmack: Hey, you're the one who has a cat in the first place! :icon_tong

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
akamifeldman said:
I remember seeing graphs as part of a study from a few years ago. Long story short, one of the graphs plotted gun ownership versus education level. The lower one's education level, the more likely that person was to own guns. A separate graph plotted gun ownership and people who vote Republican. The more guns one owned, the more likely they were to have voted Republican. Now, combining the two graphs, and well -- you see what I mean.

Trying to piss me off?

I'd like to know where this study came from. If it involves Brady, Feinstein, VPC, or any of those other groups, you can just throw it out. They're absolutely famous for lies and junk science.

I guess you also forgot how many people own guns. Oh, must have also forgotten that guns have been a solid part of our culture for our entire history, and it's only recently through urban decay and ignorance, combined with the erosion of basic survival skills, that guns are a huge mystery to some people.

I'd love for you to say that on some of the popular gun forums on the internet, where the education level on them consists of many Ph.Ds, Masters, Bachelors, and very lucrative career tracks. It would put this board to shame. But I guess you wouldn't believe that. Only a dumb Republican would think to hold an implement of death, right?

Come on Akami, you're much smarter than that.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
akamifeldman said:
Now, read the next paragraph of my post!

Are you kidding, the Dems have an awesome strategy. WHen they're losing, they call Repubs homophobics, racists, and what not. :)

My kitty won't let me type.

Editted now that she's off the keyboard: That's what a lot of politics is all about, language and manipulation. Not to forget force.

akamifeldman

WHen they're losing, they call Repubs homophobics, racists, and what not
Whenever you say that other people don't have the same rights as you because of the color of their skin or their sexual preference, you are racist and homophobic.

Now please, give others a chance to reply, would you?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
akamifeldman said:
Whenever you say that other people don't have the same rights as you because of the color of their skin or their sexual preference, you are racist and homophobic.

Now please, give others a chance to reply, would you?

When you say that someone shouldn't get a job merely because they are a minority, when they are unqualified either way, and you are called a racist and a bigot, does that make sense to you?

Making blanket statements that Republicans are racists and homophobes makes you a moron.

Want to talk about the Democratic party in the 60s? Oooooh boy, talk about racists!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You Must Mean Lower Education Levels Like These ... ???

akamifeldman said:
.... Long story short ... The lower one's education level, the more likely that person was to own guns ...
[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. --- James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." --- George Mason

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence --- George Washington

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind .... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. --- Thomas Jefferson ltr to Peter Carr, 1785

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796

"... the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …" --- Samuel Adams (and I don't mean the beer-maker)

"The great object is that every man be armed." and "Everyone who is able may have a gun." ---- Patrick Henry

You're right --- someone on this thread needs to get a better "education" ..... know anyone??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
akamifeldman said:
OH, BY THE WAY .....

"akamai" in Hawaiian is most commonly used as a modifier meaning: "smart, clever or witty " ...

Too bad you mispelled it .."akami" ... ... :icon_smil ALOHA
aloha.jpg

akamifeldman

<Waiting for everyone to get their kicks in...>

Done yet? Come on, I don't have all day!

(Translate as: NA-NA-NA-NA-BOOO-BOOO)

akamifeldman said:
I find it very interesting that people who have devoted their entire lives to teaching and the pursuit of knowledge through science vote (predominately) for Democrats. I also find it very telling that (some) Republicans seem to go completely out of their way to distance themselves as much as possible from the more highly-educated people in our society (the professors and scientists). I remember seeing graphs as part of a study from a few years ago. Long story short, one of the graphs plotted gun ownership versus education level. The lower one's education level, the more likely that person was to own guns. A separate graph plotted gun ownership and people who vote Republican. The more guns one owned, the more likely they were to have voted Republican. Now, combining the two graphs, and well -- you see what I mean.

I'd bet a graph plotting frequency/severity of marijuana use as a relation to how you vote would show that it makes you more likely to vote Democrat. Should that be used in political debates?

You need to gather relevant information. You're insinuating that responsible gun ownership(clearly REGISTERED btw) is a negative. That's ridiculous.

Sure for many people guns are for "fun" but it's responsible fun. You may as well stop private pilots...they could go spread toxic chemicals over a city...

Status
Not open for further replies.