• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

McCain's Surprise VP Pick; governor, pilot, and can wield an M4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't understand why they'd pick someone who is under investigation. It hardly matters what the outcome is, though of course if they find anything, McCain is royally screwed. But even if they don't, her name and the phrases, "under investigation" and "independent investigator" will be all over the news next for weeks or even months.

I'm sure they've thought this out, but I can't help but wonder why this seemed like a non-issue, especially when they know the Dems are coming after them using the "questionable judgement" angle.

Apparently the issue was that she fired the state public-safety director (or asked him to resign, same-same) when he refused to fire her ex-brother-in-law, Mike Wooton, who's an AK Statie.

In 2006, before she became governor, Mr Wooton was briefly suspended from his job for threatening to kill Mrs Palin’s father, and for Tasering his 11-year-old stepson
All I can say is...you get briefly suspended from the State Troopers for that?!

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Tyler,

Wow! A Presidential candidate might pick a running mate in an “effort to sway voters?” How nefarious.

Is “swaying voters” always hypocritical? Or is it only objectionable when it’s the candidate’s gender that’s behind the swaying? Do you feel this is a bad thing for all politicians, or just members of one party? Were you upset that Obama might have chosen Biden in an attempt to “sway voters” too? Or—using your own formulation—is that OK because Biden lacks (as far as I know) a vagina?

Not saying you are a liberal... but it’s certainly part of liberal dogma to suggest that Republicans are being cynical when they pick “token” women (or African-Americans, for that matter) for important government positions. Presumably, when liberals pick women for these positions, their motives are more pure.

Frankly, I don’t think your post does much to disprove the assertion that “people aren’t stupid.” On the other hand, I guess I can’t claim the “intellectual high ground” either after my earlier post above! J

Cheers,
John
A proudly stupid American, who is at least partially swayed by McCain’s choice... especially after watching a few of her YouTube videos.

PS. After watching her speak in those videos, I'd say that although her resume isn't long chronologically, it appears pretty respectable if McCain's looking to boost his ticket's image as "anti-corruption," stir-up-some-change-in-DC," "pro-drilling-while-respecting-the-environment," "in-touch-with-the-every-day-American." At least at first blush, that's the way she comes across to me.

Delta,

Don't you have a book you should be selling? :D

Not saying I'm a liberal either. And I agree with you and Brett and A4's and scoober that I have given "people" too much credit. I should have said "delegates" are generally smart people. After all, that's mostly what they're after in making this decision -- the on-the-fence Hillary votes. And I understand, politics and marketing are one in the same. I was simply saying it bugged me that this decision seemed to be based on parameters other than experience.

Sure, Obama is playing to the crowd also. I don't like either case of it, but that's how it's always been, right?

And, with all due respect scoober, to suggest that she was chosen solely because of her political record and experience is just silly. We both know better than that. That doesn't make me a sexist (although I could have chosen my words a little more wisely). There are countless more "qualified" people in this country, if that's what you're using to justify his choice. Get real.

Anyway, I should've never gotten involved in a freakin' political argument on the internet.

I'm off to enjoy the hurricane. Good day, gentlemen.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Couldn't have said it myself. This woman is more of the same Good Ole Boys club, the ONLY difference between her and them is that she wears heels and lipstick when she does her thing.

Uhhh she ousted the the previous governer who was ALSO a republican. Hardly a "good ole boy" move.

Go back to your hole.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody else see all the headlines saying "McCain Taps Palin"...?

All I could say is, HELL YEAH, JOHN!

Oh, wait...I get it...nevermind...

Delta7

Anyway, I should've never gotten involved in a freakin' political argument on the internet.

I'm off to enjoy the hurricane. Good day, gentlemen.

Amen brother, me too.

But "political argument on the internet" sure is fun when you're madly tapping away at the keyboard makin' your next brilliant point.

Stay safe if you'll be "enjoying" that hurricane up close and personal.

Cheers,
John

roogs25

pilot
As possibly the only person on this site who actually voted for Palin in the 2006 AK gubernatorial election (albeit via absentee ballot) I must say that I have been more than impressed by her. She is down to earth and if people actually knew anything about AK politics, experience would be the last issue the dems would want to bring up. As governor of AK you MUST posses an intimate knowledge of geopolitical energy issues (i.e. oil and how it effects global relations) and the gov. of AK is probably the only elected state official in the Union that has to deal directly with Russia (granted it is not in a military commander role, but when Russian boats are trolling off of your coast essentially strip mining the ocean of fish, it has been my experience in the past (as a commercial fisherman) that the state government is much more involved than the feds.)

She has stuck it to more corrupt politicians who were entrenched in power than any other person I have ever seen in politics (including the powers that be in her own party) and as such has pissed off enough people that it is no surprise that the words "scandal" and "investigation" are being thrown around right now... I have no doubt it will amount to nothing other than someone with an ax to grind.

I hope McCain/Palin wins because in 8 years I want to vote for her for president. Everyone has always said they will bring a new, fresh, outside voice to Washington, and folks, this is finally it (and imagine that, the same people that said they wanted a new, fresh, outside voice are now saying that she is too new, fresh, and outside.... what is the phrase I read on here all the time? Some Things Never Change?)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I see this as a stunt to get people excited. Oh wow, another woman. Let's get past the gender BS, just as everyone says lets get past the minority BS. Granted, it is a milestone for Barack to be the first minority presidential candidate. She has little experience and basically no foreign policy experience. Her inexperience will soon be revealed and will be regarded as the Dan Quayle of the 21st century.

Firstly, when it boils down to it, it really doesn't matter how much "experience" a candidate has. When they get to office, whoever it may be, he is going to hire a dozen people with graduate degrees to "advise" him on what to do in most matters.

Secondly, the vice presidency is relatively meaningless unless the President becomes incapacitated somehow for a long period of time.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Everyone has always said they will bring a new, fresh, outside voice to Washington, and folks, this is finally it (and imagine that, the same people that said they wanted a new, fresh, outside voice are now saying that she is too new, fresh, and outside.... what is the phrase I read on here all the time? Some Things Never Change?)

Well said.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Dems simply can't raise their objections to Palin being VP without making their own best argument for why Obama is a bad choice. Are they even listening to their own "talking points"? Too young, too inexperienced, no foreign policy expertise, doesn't know how Washington works, resume too thin... They say she's not ready to be President if something happens to McCain...and they want Obama to actually be the actual President?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Secondly, the vice presidency is relatively meaningless unless the President becomes incapacitated somehow for a long period of time.
Tell that to this guy.
President-Theodore-Roosevelt.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
wikipedia said:
Roosevelt's six months as Vice President (March to September 1901) were uneventful
I wasn't talking about whether or not a VP can sway public opinion. Shit, a candidate can sway public opinion by getting a penis enlargement, even though it has nothing to do with whether or not they'd make a good President. I was saying that in reality, the job is just a figurehead unless the President croaks or becomes debilitated, or in the rare case that the senate votes on an exact tie.

Delta7

As possibly the only person on this site who actually voted for Palin in the 2006 AK gubernatorial election (albeit via absentee ballot) I must say that I have been more than impressed by her. She is down to earth and if people actually knew anything about AK politics, experience would be the last issue the dems would want to bring up. As governor of AK you MUST posses an intimate knowledge of geopolitical energy issues (i.e. oil and how it effects global relations) and the gov. of AK is probably the only elected state official in the Union that has to deal directly with Russia (granted it is not in a military commander role, but when Russian boats are trolling off of your coast essentially strip mining the ocean of fish, it has been my experience in the past (as a commercial fisherman) that the state government is much more involved than the feds.)

She has stuck it to more corrupt politicians who were entrenched in power than any other person I have ever seen in politics (including the powers that be in her own party) and as such has pissed off enough people that it is no surprise that the words "scandal" and "investigation" are being thrown around right now... I have no doubt it will amount to nothing other than someone with an ax to grind.

I hope McCain/Palin wins because in 8 years I want to vote for her for president. Everyone has always said they will bring a new, fresh, outside voice to Washington, and folks, this is finally it (and imagine that, the same people that said they wanted a new, fresh, outside voice are now saying that she is too new, fresh, and outside.... what is the phrase I read on here all the time? Some Things Never Change?)

Nice post!

But my computer says you've been a member since 2002 and have 0 posts! Wazzup?

Status
Not open for further replies.