• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MasterBates does Norfolk (So where to park the Puma and some other stuff)

MasterBates

AirWarriors,

The time has finally come for me to get the hell out of North Mexico and venture back to the USA. VAW-120 to be exact. Barring anything bad happening at the boat, I will be wheels up out of Krock sometime around 17-20 December, in the Norfolk area 2-3 days later, ditching my crap and driving or flying to my parents house in NH from there.

Only real plan on the way up is to stop at the CMP store and go shopping.

I'm looking at a couple options:

1-Live in the PUMA in a RV park. Preferably one that allows full time stays, so I don't have to move every three weeks. NAS Oceana's is looking like the best option, but I am open to suggestions. Full hookups (30A) are a must. Having to move every 4-5 days to dump tanks sucks.

2-Rent house/condo/apt with a couple other guys if the price is right. It only costs me $250 a month to pay for the PUMA, so if I can get my rent/utilities in the range of what RV lot rent is, it's a do-able sitution.

If I go with option 1, I also need self-storage, 5x10 close by and cheap. Need a place to keep dirtbike and tools.

If the house/condo/apt has a garage, I can get around that need.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a Post Office on base near the VAW/VRC hangars to get mail at? I prefer the ex does not have my actual street address so I need a box to send her money from.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
There is a post office in C-9 with P.O. boxes that is close enough to 120 to be usable on a daily basis. As for RV parks in the city, uh... there is a trailer park near Town Center in Va. Beach that could work, although I don't know if they accommodate RVs or not.

If you live at Oceana your commute is going to suck, no two ways about it. For storage with option 1, have you considered that some houses for rent (and there's a lot about now) have garages?

phrogpilot73

So how long are you supposed to be at VAW-120? Hopefully, PSW and I will be arriving (not pulling our house behind us) around March-May-ish. I'll be down a couple of times in Feb likely as well...

MasterBates

I have a 19 JAN RAG start date, not sure how long the RAG is. (I know what it is on paper, but I have heard its going a bit slow)

phrogpilot73

I have a 19 JAN RAG start date, not sure how long the RAG is. (I know what it is on paper, but I have heard its going a bit slow)
VAW-120 is at NAS Norfolk vice Oceana, isn't it? Or are those the fleet squadrons? What I'm getting at is when I'm in town for Reserve crap, will there be a Nah-Falk Cat rockin' the O'Club?

MasterBates

The E2C2 squadrons are at NS Norfolk.

Why do I have a strange feeling there will be a CodCat or HawkTrap under construction??

k_smittay

MB-

There is a beautiful RV park on base at NAB Little Creek. I am not 100% sure if they offer year around or not, but it seems like it is full of 5th wheels that don't move very often. It is definitely worth a shot. It is located in a wooded area and it is like camping on the base. Plus it is only about a 10-15 min commute to Norfolk from Little Creek. The park has water, sewer and cable hookups. Give em a call - (757) 462-7282.

Good luck.

bb1125

None
The commute from Oceana isn't really that bad. I live about 10 minutes past the RV park you're talking about and it takes me about 35 minutes from my driveway to the 120 parking lot in the mornings. So you would be a few minutes less from the RV park. I love the area, plenty of restaurants, shopping, low crime, etc. I've only been here about a month, but so far, I'm happy with it.

phrogpilot73

The E2C2 squadrons are at NS Norfolk.

Why do I have a strange feeling there will be a CodCat or HawkTrap under construction??
Once you write the article for The Hook, it'll be over! :D Seriously, you should design a RAST set up vice a Hook setup for the Norfolk O'Club. After all, there's more of us rotor trash there... Word on the street is that once 774 transitions to Ospreys, we'll be looking for a new home (AKA they won't want us at the heliport). I don't think I'll have to worry about it - I'll be at 18 so it'll probably be time to shop for a sunset reserve gig (I'm thinking C-12's somewhere)...

Cordespc

None
Contributor
MB-

There is a beautiful RV park on base at NAB Little Creek. I am not 100% sure if they offer year around or not, but it seems like it is full of 5th wheels that don't move very often. It is definitely worth a shot. It is located in a wooded area and it is like camping on the base. Plus it is only about a 10-15 min commute to Norfolk from Little Creek. The park has water, sewer and cable hookups. Give em a call - (757) 462-7282.

Good luck.

Second what he said. The NAB RV park is very nice and quiet, and within walking distance of the gym, which I think is the best in the area. Drive to NRFK is very easy, and the area is convenient to everything you need.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a spiffy oceanfront campground at Dam Neck, but I don't know any more particulars re: RV's. Worth checking though.

I lived around the VB Oceanfront area during the RAG, and I'd honestly advise against it. The commute isn't all that long, but running the daily gauntlet of 264/64 will raise your blood pressure a few points, gar-on-teed. There's some sort of serious wreck every single friggin' day, usually at least one per rush hour, and watching Norfolk/VB drivers in action is liking watching auditions for the Darwin Awards.

Plus, making that long-ass commute for the midnight-0400 bounce period at Fentress is a special kind of pain.

If you can avoid the Max Rockatansky Memorial Freeway, it's worth the other hassles. I lived in Ocean View, which is interesting in its own way, but it took me 15 mins to get from my front door to the E-2/C-2 flightline.

Check out Chix Beach, just east of Little Creek. Don't know about RV parks, but it's a nice area, on the water, close enough to the base to make a short commute, and you can just shoot up Shore Drive to get there.