• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mast, NJP, and The Trouble Troops Can Get In...

Derf

I would have thought you would have remembered when this happened... it was a big joke in the squadron.:) Butch Edwards was involved, can't remember the rest of the guys that went, but none of them were put on report, only me. C'mon ... our Yuma dets were a different world.:D I was 'short' when this happened too, only about a month left.

Remember when I was TAD on CFAD security patrol with Hank Wondowski? The two of us did a little ‘creative’ scheduling of our work time. As you’ll remember the CFAD teams basically spent their watch patrolling the line areas, all of the base hangars and the out buildings. We worked alone and just radioed in every hour on the hour to our duty office. The duty office never saw us the entire watch. Anyway Hank said one evening “Hey, why do they need two of us in this truck?”:D Walt (“Corkyboy” here at AW) remembers, he and I had a good chuckle a few months back. Nothing ever came of this either. Just a stern lecture that turned into a laugh fest because neither of us could keep a straight face.

BTW...You a 4.0 Sailor?;)

Steve
Er uh, geez maybe a 3.99 Sailor?...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good stories, but what made it for me were the tag quotes:

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." - Mark Twain

Wise old man - "That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad - "She's out of my league."
Wise old man - "Look...let women figure out why they won't sleep with you...don't do it for them."

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It's also basically the worst thing the CO is permitted to do to a sailor with NJP.

Nope. Read the regs and you will find that the punishment a CO can give is dependent upon the CO's rank, and it is pretty easy to argue that reduction in rank is the severest punishment.

BigRed389

None
Nope. Read the regs and you will find that the punishment a CO can give is dependent upon the CO's rank, and it is pretty easy to argue that reduction in rank is the severest punishment.

I was referring to my example where the CO threw the book at him: RIR, 45/45, and half pay for 2 months. Which combined IS the worst you can get.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
By the way, I think the worst punishment would be bread and water.
Honestly, if I was PO1 who had a wife, kids, etc, I would gladly take bread and water for however many days over a permanent reduction in paygrade that means less food on the table and whatnot.

Just saying.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Can't you get ADSEPed at mast?

Never heard of it as being "promoted to civilian"? Obviously not for all, but for many, getting the boot without a big chicken dinner is better than a RIR and x/x. Especially when it comes to otherwise career ending incidents.

For a disgruntled junior sailor, there's definitely a bright light at the end of that tunnel, especially if they retain their GI bill. Getting RIR 45/45 .5x2 is the old man taking a big shit on you, and then telling you that you have to stick around and smell it for the remainder of your enlistment.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Never heard of it as being "promoted to civilian"? Obviously not for all, but for many, getting the boot without a big chicken dinner is better than a RIR and x/x. Especially when it comes to otherwise career ending incidents.

For a disgruntled junior sailor, there's definitely a bright light at the end of that tunnel, especially if they retain their GI bill. Getting RIR 45/45 .5x2 is the old man taking a big shit on you, and then telling you that you have to stick around and smell it for the remainder of your enlistment.

Not so much.

First, as noted already, you cannot get separated at NJP. If you do end up getting adsep'd, you are extremely likely to get either a general or an OTH. An OTH holds just about the same penalties as a BCD. Even worse is that you won't rate appellate leave either.

Basically, if you get an OTH or worse, they drop you off at the front gate with a nice tall glass of get the hell out.

No GI bill. No VA benefits. Not even a ride/move to your home of record. If you are not an American citizen, they will however give you a ride to your deportation.

Getting adsep'd is a far cry from "getting promoted" to anything.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
We had a guy get put on bread and water. Definitely opened the eyes of some of the younger troublemakers.