• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Married and have questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW

Hey there everyone. I'm 25 and married and in the process of applying to OCS for a pilot slot. My concern is the effect that life as an aviator will have on my marriage. Have you guys gone through this or know anyone who has? Any thoughts/comments/insights? Thanks a lot!

Brooklyn

Boy JW, sounds like I wrote this post myself! I'm also 25, married, and my wife and I are wondering the same things. I'm sure this is old hat to a lot of posters here, but new to many others who I'm sure are wondering the same thing.

A buddy of mine who's been in for ten years (and his wife) have given us some great advise and encouragement. I have some medical conditions that we also need to consider. Anyways, he has a great family and doesn't regret ever joining. We asked them both if they would do it differently, and they both said no. My wife and I like stability, something you won't get in the aviation community. And to be straight up–we want what God wants for us. If we join out of His will, that's a scary place to be, especially if I don't get to fly for whatever reason.

Feel free to post some more questions and I'll tell you what I've been hearing from friends. It's great to hear of your concern as someone who is in the same boat.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
First off, what I have to say really has nothing to do with this subject, as I'm only 18 and need to worry about other things like high school and college. lol BUT.... I would like to say that I liked what Brooklyn said about how you and your wife "want what God wants for us...." I've been reading these posts for a while now, and you're the first person on here I've seen mention God like that and I think it's great! And I've got a few years, but I'm still wondering what "His will" is for me regarding flying.

Anyway, enough of my blabing...
God bless

el_riddle

60 bubba
i concur,
i definately want a family at sometime and thus the decision to join the navy was a tough one. the conclusion i came up with is that if i simply seek Him and His guidance and pass through the doors He has opened then He will take care of the rest. i don't think He will truly open a door that would be harmful to you or your family. if that were the case, then i would say it was a door that you had forced open yourself.
okay...i don't think i said that clear at all.
all i'm saying that if it is His will then He will work everything out for you...good luck!
luke

psu_midn

It really gives me much comfort to know that there are many fututre Naval officers that have God as first and formost in their lives! Knowing that anything (even flyting a multi-million dollar jet) can be done in Him!

Fly Navy and <><

Brooklyn

el_riddle, do you mind if I e-mail you something?

JW, how is the application process going for you? I just remembered something else my friend told me that you might find helpful: make sure your wife is on board for the ride and fully supports you. You've got extreme pressures coming up and you both will have to support each other to the fullest.

Paul Burke

I know that if it weren't for God and His will I wouldn't be going back in. It's by God's grace and mercy that I'm here today to begin with. It really makes me wonder what the grand scheme of things truly is and how I get to be one of the lucky few to even get to go down this road.

Brooklyn

How was it made clear to stay in Paul? Was it a tough decision signing up to begin with or did the Lord make that clear then as well? Were you married then?

Paul Burke

There's no short answer to that. When I originally got out I couldn't get home fast enough. I never wanted to see anything even remotely related to the Navy ever again. The O's in my squadron all told me that if I wanted a NROTC scholarship that it was pretty much in the bag but with no guarantee of getting a pilot slot. I was not about to spend any more years of my life doing something that someone else wanted me to be doing. I was sick of that. I originally enlisted under the impression that I could get a degree while I served and become a pilot that way. Well, that doesn't happen. Without getting too personal here I began to weigh my options last summer. I knew that no matter what, I would be leaving the state. Then I started taking a real close look at the people that were around me, in and outside of school, everywhere. I realized that the majority of people out here totally lack the traits that the majority of people in the military possess. Things like open honesty and moral courage. Open communication and a "can do" attitude. I also put together all the tidbits that my professors have thrown out there over the last 4 years. They openly teach not to ever be loyal to a company. So much emphasis is spent on figuring out ways in which one can avoid liability it's really pathetic. That's when I decided to go ahead and apply. I put together the best possible application I possibly could and sent it up. The thing about it is that I had enough against me for them to have easily said no. I'll just say that I wasn't a model sailor. But it came back approved for a pilot slot. There's a lot more to it than that but you'll have to buy me a few rounds to get that out of me but with all the other things weighed in I just knew beyond a shadow of a doubt.

As far as when I initially signed up, I had my doubts but all my prayers wound up getting answered. I have never been married and don't plan on it anytime soon, which has been yet another blessing.

JW

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! Brooklyn, to answer your question, I've taken the ASTB, just took my physical this morning, and will be taking my fitness test next week (as long as the physical went OK). After that, I'll submit the application and hope for the best! My wife is very supportive of my desire to be an aviator and I love her for that. There is a further complication to the matter though...she's going to be starting medical school (with any luck) in the Fall of '03, I suppose a little before I'd be getting my wings. Hence, location is a huge issue...one which I'm not sure how much you can control being at the mercy of the Navy. You all are right about God...seems like as good a time as ever to strengthen my faith! Any other input is appreciated!

By the way, Paul, your professors are pretty much right about corporations. There's a real lack of integrity and character out there. That alone can bring you down pretty badly.

Edited by - JW on 03/05/2002 17:02:55

Brooklyn

Whew JW, looks like your post has generated a lot of interest based on the numbers of views. I'm sure there are countless married people interested in joining up and are just as aware of the sacrifice their family will be making, as they are about the sacrifices of serving. It is an honor that a select few are called to. And if you are one who realizes that there is a higher Authority, then the decision (and the results of it) are in His hands. No worries. He's in control. We just need to trust Him. That is what my wife and I are doing. In the meantime, I'm getting physically in shape just in case He calls "US" to serve. (My body could use a wake up call anyway!)

Keep us informed on your acceptance dude. I hope everything works out for you.

JW

I went to Church for the first time in a while this past weekend and oddly enough, the sermon's message was to "walk by faith, not by sight". Quite fitting!

Brooklyn

That's right man. If you are certain this is what God has, He'll equipe your wife (and kids if that's the case) for the adjustment. It may not be easy, but you guys will pull through.

I believe that God is going to use this decision to help my wife and I grow in faith because what if it comes down to having to make a decision (I've only got 16 months to my 27th B-day) and not knowing for sure? Whew, walking by faith and not by sight will take on a whole new personal meaning to me.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think Matt hit the best points on the marriage comments. Its very, very tough! Don't kid yourself. Your wife has to be strong and you, extremely understanding. Divorce, sadly, is not only apart of the American culture but overwhelmingly prevelant in the Military. I always recommend and still do to young couples, go to marriage counseling before AND after deployments. The goverment picks up the tab, USE THE BENEFIT!
In regards to all the talk about religon, let me quote an ol saying amongst aviators in general:

There are no atheists in the cockpit!

Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.