• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

taxi1

pilot
So...question for you active shooters. I'm a gun dilettante.

How much damage would a .45 round from a handgun do to your arm if you had a negligent discharge and shot yourself there?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

How much damage would a .45 round from a handgun do to your arm if you had a negligent discharge and shot yourself there?
It would be catastrophic - almost certainly destroying bone and cartilage. Nerve damage, loss of function, not pretty.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Easily could be life threatening, if you hit an artery, even if you have a TQ on you and know how to apply it one-handed after being shot.

Why do you ask? The Navy doesn’t widely issue handguns chambered in .45…

taxi1

pilot
Why do you ask? The Navy doesn’t widely issue handguns chambered in .45…
It’s in the news, where someone claimed they accidentally shot themselves with a .45 on a police report that day, when they later said they lied about it and the injury was actually from years prior. Seems bizarre.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
giphy.gif

GroundPounder

I've seen people shot point blank with .45 in the chest and walk into the ER on their own power , and people who got hit in the leg with a .22 that died within feet of being shot. There are so may variables that make all the difference.

I've also seen 9mm rounds that have removed a great deal of tissue and basically de biceped a person.

Could not read the article to see his changing story. Was at Ft. Benning when a soldier was shot with a 1911. He was actually shot twice, by an armorer who was demonstrating the grip safety on a 1911. I think they had a misunderstanding of how it works. Apparently.

Last edited:

Random8145

I've seen people shot point blank with .45 in the chest and walk into the ER on their own power , and people who got hit in the leg with a .22 that died within feet of being shot. There are so may variables that make all the difference.

I've also seen 9mm rounds that have removed a great deal of tissue and basically de biceped a person.

Could not read the article to see his changing story. Was at Ft. Benning when a soldier was shot with a 1911. He was actually shot twice, by an armorer who was demonstrating the grip safety on a 1911. I think they had a misunderstanding of how it works. Apparently.
Did they actively point it at the person and pull the trigger to "demonstrate" the safety, or did it happen because they weren't watching where they had it pointed?

Random8145

Hmm...so...on paper, this guy seems stellar: Naval Academy graduate, Navy SEAL, Bronze Star and Purple Heart winner, founder of an aerial firefighting business and now worth anywhere from $70-$200 million, and all by the age of 38. However, his story about the .45 is screwy. But also, my understanding is guns generally don't just "go off," even if they fall, correct?

He also seems to have given various claims about how many times he was shot in combat and he somewhat fudged his business story on the campaign trail. On the trail, he repeatedly says he built the company from scratch and bootstrapped it and that he and his wife lived in a tent, but his memoir shows he spent $300,000 in savings, but then borrowed $100,000 from his father, then after a few years, borrowed an additional $500,000 from his father and brother. His brother is a successful financier on Wall Street who asked for access to the company's financials and an equity stake in exchange for a cash infusion, but his brother then got him an investment from the Blackstone Group. Then his friend and fellow Montanan, former SEAL Team 6 member Ryan Zinke who was Secretary of the Interior at the time (and later had to resign over ethical issues), got him his first big contract with the U.S. federal government. He also details how he and his wife have to live in a tent, but chose to do so.

None of this is to take away from his hard work to build the company, but getting hundreds of thousands from family, involvement by one of the premier investment houses (Blackstone) from family, and then a contract by way of a political connection, is a little more than "built from scratch" and bootstrapping claims on the campaign trail.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
None of this is to take away from his hard work to build the company, but getting hundreds of thousands from family, involvement by one of the premier investment houses (Blackstone) from family, and then a contract by way of a political connection, is a little more than "built from scratch" and bootstrapping claims on the campaign trail.
You must be new to politics! Every national politician has a back story full of lies, half-truths, truths hidden behind twists, turns, and dead ends and even some made up stuff.

As for the gun story…he is covering for someone who fucked up.

Last, minor, point on military decorations. Military people don’t “win” the Purple Heart. “Win” is a common term but the better word is “awarded” or “presented” since it isn’t typically a competition to get killed or injured.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here

I heard a similar story about a Staff Nco from Desert Storm, Was bragging about the grip safety to his buddys during down time and decided against advice to try it out. The safety failed.