• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I’ll bet the USN’s response wasn’t to ensure the individuals/units in these incidents were properly trained. It was probably to add more rules and restrictions, and effectively disarm more members of the military. Example: when I flew into combat, I wasn’t allowed to load my pistol. Pure bureaucratic stupidity.
You're absolutely correct. The command's response to:
-1st deployment to Iraq: E-4 shoots a hole through meaty part of his palm, while trying to teach E-3 how to strip down the M-9 pistol. Evac'ed to Germany.
was to vacuum up all the rounds from the squadron. Everyone was like WTF? We're in the fucking desert in Iraq with no bullets? A basic knee-jerk reaction.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I’ll bet the USN’s response wasn’t to ensure the individuals/units in these incidents were properly trained. It was probably to add more rules and restrictions, and effectively disarm more members of the military. Example: when I flew into combat, I wasn’t allowed to load my pistol. Pure bureaucratic stupidity.
Rules about loading sidearms are now baked into the HSM aircraft SOP. Don’t worry about the fact that it incorrectly defines weapons conditions.

number9

Contributor
There used to be a semi-public, USMC-run range at Norfolk (Camp Ellmore? the name got changed at least once) where you could pay $50 for a Navy pistol qual and $60 for Navy rifle qual. This covered range time and ammo but not much in the way of instruction. Seems like a great option for reservists as it’s not impacting the range time or ammo of active units needing quals, yet they know how to administer the Navy qualification standard and generate the qual paperwork. I qual’d there but it was very much ad hoc. YMMV
I have been told by several people that the range you're talking about was shut down due to MWR budget cuts. Unfortunately...

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I have been told by several people that the range you're talking about was shut down due to MWR budget cuts. Unfortunately...
Ridiculous. Why the F is MWR the financial backer for a small arms range?

This is a readiness issue, whether the USN will admit it, or not.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This one really speaks to our studied ignorance on firearms in general, which is a larger cultural issue. I’m teaching my kids basic firearm safety and marksmanship not because I expect them to like firearms, but because- in part- it’s a fundamental life skill that might help them recognize ignorance like this.

Ok, I’m really done now. Sorry, this one just grinds my “old man yells at cloud” gears. ;)

I think firearms safety and handling should be taught in our schools seeing as the right to bears arms is granted by the constitution. They should adapt and evolve as kids get older.

We teach drivers education in schools and safety around streets and roads, but driving isn't a right.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think firearms safety and handling should be taught in our schools seeing as the right to bears arms is granted by the constitution. They should adapt and evolve as kids get older.

We teach drivers education in schools and safety around streets and roads, but driving isn't a right.
My kids thankfully have fond memories of the fun we had at lazy afternoon range sessions - they would call out the smallest of my own safety infractions of course!

2008-range-fun.jpg

sevenhelmet

pilot

Wholeheartedly agree! The older I get, the more I think government and big corporate interests want to eliminate as much personal agency and critical thinking as they can, to consolidate their hold on power and money.

Be part of the solution. Teach a kid to fish/shoot/change the oil in the car.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Get out, find a quality range and instructor, and train on your own time. Sounds a hell of a lot better for QoL.
A) Good advice, but he doesn’t have to be in the Navy to do that.

B) You’re not wrong on QoL, but I have no qualms about telling a non prior enlisted DIRCOM officer to go take his or her first ever Mob. It’s different than asking a reservist who has active duty time, either underway or forward deployed, to deploy again.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Wholeheartedly agree! The older I get, the more I think government and big corporate interests want to eliminate as much personal agency and critical thinking as they can, to consolidate their hold on power and money.

Be part of the solution. Teach a kid to fish/shoot/change the oil in the car.
They used to do that. Starting with the 5th grade boys had “rifle safety” every year (a one week, one hour a day thing) and “shop” included lessons in tire and oil changes.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
They used to do that. Starting with the 5th grade boys had “rifle safety” every year (a one week, one hour a day thing) and “shop” included lessons in tire and oil changes.
As a 7th grader in the 80's, I remember shop class (Don't remember car maint included in our syllabus), but it got balanced out with a few weeks of "home economics"...I'm sure great info, but not for a 13 yr old boy. ☺️

sevenhelmet

pilot
As a 7th grader in the 80's, I remember shop class (Don't remember car maint included in our syllabus), but it got balanced out with a few weeks of "home economics"...I'm sure great info, but not for a 13 yr old boy. ☺️
I had both growing up too. My kids’ school does something called FACS, which covers a lot of the same stuff. Among other solid practical options, the local High school offers shop, welding, and automotive maintenance as electives. This school district is a big part of the reason we moved here.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I had both growing up too. My kids’ school does something called FACS, which covers a lot of the same stuff. Among other solid practical options, the local High school offers shop, welding, and automotive maintenance as electives. This school district is a big part of the reason we moved here.
That's good to hear. I'm far removed from secondary education policy,..so definitely no expert...but, I've always thought that there should be more avenues for kids to pursue in HS beyond just prep for going to college (and getting a BS degree and mountains of debt).