• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines vs. Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSH

Trying to decide whether I want to go pilot in the USMC or the Navy. Anybody have any thoughts?

Is it easier to get jets in the Marines?

Thanks.

farkle84

you shouldnt want to go Marines just to fly. you should want to lead Marines. Marines have to go to TBS a six month school before flight school just to learn the leadership skills they need to lead Marines into battle.

Adrenaline Rush

Farkle hit the nail on the head..You should be asking yourself if you have what it takes to be a Marine before you go to OCS..cause your expected to be a Marine first (to lead Marines like farkle said) and you just happen to be a Marine that flys

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

It Is Our Duty To Protect The Best Nation In The World

NuSnake

what branch is your commission in?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

Adrenaline Rush

my mistake rush..but i am surprised your concerned about which bird they give you

farkle84

trust me, go navy if you care about the plane you fly. they will hook you up. for me, i want to be a leader so i will go Marines.

BeanFighter

pilot
Okay, let's be honest. Any red blooded American boy wants it all... to be captain of the team, hot women, and Hornets. I'm proud to be a former Marine, but I got in the Corps to fly jets. I loved working with my enlisted Marines, as much as flying my Hornet. But flying was my motivation. Now I'm just a fat married squid (not that its bad) flying Goshawks, but I envy those boys that are what I use to be, the ones that want it all. So set your own goals high, whether it be leading Marines, flying frogs, bagging the prom queen or all of the above. As long as your motivation kicks your ass into working hard for it.

Adrenaline Rush

Now Thats some Damn Motivation baby!!!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
BeanFighter nailed it. Wish I could go back and do it all over again - its was a blast being part of the big green team. From a helo perspective - the adrenaline rush is incredible from being in a flight of 6 Phrogs at 2 rotors apart on NVG's (cue Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries) - your bud from TBS in the back as the company commander - and some of your other TBS buds up in the Hornets and Cobras covering your @ss so some MIG or AAA doesn't blow you apart. If you want Hornets, great, go for it - (I'm envious I never got a ride in one myself), but honestly, whatever aircraft you get you are going to love - so concentrate all of your time and effort on bagging the prom queen!

RUSH

I have my commission in the Navy. I am considering switching to the Marines because the gouge I hear is that you will have a better chance at getting jets, see more combat, and if you get helo's you can fly cobras. But that is just what I hear; I really don't know ****. Anybody got any opinions?

NuSnake

Where are you stationed now?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

bpikula

Here is the answer to your question: If you are a Marine and you get jet grades (50 nss) you will get jets. Recently some Marines that wanted helos and had jet grades were forced to take jets. If you are in the Navy it will take at least a 55, more than likely a 60. Today in VT-2 out of 5 marines that selected 3 got jets. The other two had helo grades and that is what they got. Right now it is much easier to get jets if you are a Marine, but that may change very soon. The more guys they send to Meridian/Kingsville the more backed up the pipeline will get. However, both services are giving out a lot more jet slots than they were 2-3 months ago. We only had one Navy student get jets, but he was the only one with jet grades that wanted them. As for other piplines: P-3's, which is what I selected, was awarded to 3 SNA's in VT-2 and we had one Helo. No E2/C2 or E-6 slots were awarded to anyone in my squadron.

Status
Not open for further replies.