• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

marines dress blues

jonathan.edlund

The Army story is true. The cavalrymen used to put their jackets in their packs after long rides, and the sun would bleach the pants after time giving the uniform two different shades of blue.

The yellow stripe down the side is for NCOs, Warrant Officers, and Officers.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
If you're enlisted and promoted to NCO you perform a ritual called "earning your blood stripe." Basically, you walk a gauntlet of NCOs. You shake an NCO's hand and then he gives you a good kick or knee to the side of the leg where your blood stripe will be. Then, you turn to the next NCO in the gauntlet line and rinse and repeat. I had sore legs for quite a few days but it's one of my most fond and cherished memories and I'm thankful that my unit upholds the tradition when many do not.

gotta_fly

pilot
If you're enlisted and promoted to NCO you perform a ritual called "earning your blood stripe." Basically, you walk a gauntlet of NCOs. You shake an NCO's hand and then he gives you a good kick or knee to the side of the leg where your blood stripe will be. Then, you turn to the next NCO in the gauntlet line and rinse and repeat. I had sore legs for quite a few days but it's one of my most fond and cherished memories and I'm thankful that my unit upholds the tradition when many do not.

That sounds like a foolish tradition, much like tacking on crows in the Navy. Why would kicking you in the leg make you more of an NCO? I don't mean any disrespect to you or your unit, I just don't understand hazing rituals masquerading as tradition.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Why don't you stick to commenting on the "traditions" of your own service.

(traditions in quotes because I'm not sure blood striping qualifies as a tradition - not because I am attempting to denigrate any other traditions out there)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Aaaannd Huey with an elbow from the top rope. You should have seen some of our traditions BEFORE the witch hunts!

gotta_fly

pilot
Right, this is why I specifically said I didn't understand it, and posed the question of how this makes a better NCO. I guess I was looking for a little discussion on the matter. I also did comment on something from my own service. Either way, if we can't comment on here about things outside of our own corner of Naval Aviation that's news to me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Compared to what was the norm just a few years ago the Corps has definitely cut down significantly on "hazing" for better or worse.

Earning your blood stripe is a historic tradition in my unit. It symbolizes that you've joined the ranks of the NCO Corps. It's not just a knee in the side, it's a handshake and a pat on the shoulder along with a congratulation and a welcome to a position of responsibility. My definition of hazing and yours is obviously different. I'm not a fan of hazing and I know what hazing looks like. My unit looks a lot different today than it did, say, five years ago when hazing was prevalent. Earning your blood stripe is completely voluntary.

Does this make me a better NCO? No, of course not. However, I do believe that it reinforces the idealism of the NCO Corps; that someone has now joined a unified team responsible for the supervision of and implementation of the orders given by the commanding officer. I also think it's another piece of Marine culture that should be zealously guarded and preserved. It's a small piece of history in a Corps that is becoming more and more PC everyday.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Earning your blood stripe is completely voluntary.
Is it really voluntary? How do you treat someone who says, "Fuck that, I think it's stupid and I don't want to be beaten to the point of being bruised."

It's an antiquated practice based on a "macho" thought process that has no place in our Corps today. It isn't a tradition. Saluting is a tradition. Honoring the Colors is a tradition. Mess nights are a tradition. Funeral ceremonies are steeped in tradition.

Blood striping and blood winging is not tradition, it's hazing. "Hey that guy got promoted- let's beat the shit out of him." Hopefully you understand this as an officer.

KBayDog

Compared to what was the norm just a few years ago the Corps has definitely cut down significantly on "hazing" for better or worse...words....It's a small piece of history in a Corps that is becoming more and more PC everyday.

Horse shit.

While I'm not the saltiest mofo on the planet, I've been around this Rod and Gun Club for more than a handful of years. When I joined the NCO ranks (back in the Dark Ages (the 90s)), getting your "blood stripes" (intentionally not capitalized) was hazing. Yes, hazing. The type of hazing that gets COs fired. The type of hazing that does nothing to foster "Good Order and Discipline." The type of hazing that has absolutely no place in our military.

No, I did not get my "blood stripes." Why? It was not tolerated, even back then.

Sorry, sodajones, but the Corps hasn't suddenly "gone soft" since you joined.

MasterBates

Everyone thinks every service has gone soft.

I have a cousin, who JUST made CPL. He's now bitching about how soft boots are fresh out of MCRD.

He's been in maybe two years.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I joined the NCO ranks (back in the Dark Ages (the 90s)), getting your "blood stripes" (intentionally not capitalized) was hazing. Yes, hazing. The type of hazing that gets COs fired. The type of hazing that does nothing to foster "Good Order and Discipline." The type of hazing that has absolutely no place in our military.

Sounds a lot like the Navy's "Sea Legs" ritual.

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think it's safe to say that if the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps doesn't recognize something as a tradition, it's not a tradition. He's the head of the tradition mafia.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Everyone thinks every service has gone soft.

I have a cousin, who JUST made CPL. He's now bitching about how soft boots are fresh out of MCRD.

He's been in maybe two years.

phrogdriver (circa 2009) said:
Samuel Nicholas was recruiting the very first Marine in Tun Tavern. He stood up and said "I'll buy a free pint for the first man to sign up for the Continental Marines!"

Sure enough, a patron signed a contract, got his pint, and became the very first Marine recruit.

Captain Nicholas then said,"I'll buy TWO pints for the next man to sign up!"

Another patron signed up, got his tow pints and sat next to the other new recruit, who told him,"In the OLD Corps we only got one pint!"

(I started to write the joke, then I remembered I had read it awhile back)