• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Polygraph, true or false?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcecho4

pilot
A.Kuettel said:
I am next to positive that any drug use besides pot disqualifies air canidates

Even if this is true (and I don't believe this). You could still go ground and get an air contract at TBS. All would not be lost.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did a polygraph durring a clearance PR and I only had a Secret at the time. It's not done for everyone and it's kind of a random screening. All you worry-worts can settle the F down because they don't care about what drugs you've consumed, or if you had sex with a goat (or a blood relative) in your youth. They even tell you that up front so you're not all freaked out. All they ask about is security realated stuff like, "Are you a spy? Have you ever given information to the Russians?" Stuff like that, so don't sweat it - it was actually kind of interesting.

Brett

MotivatorJames

Come on guys, I was really getting some good advice from this thread. I really appreciate those of you giving me your advice because I've really got my heart set on going to OCS eventually.

Carno

Insane
I just went through OCS last summer, and I have never until this point heard of anyone having to take a polygraph test.

Right now is the time to start telling the complete truth on everything you do, because if you get caught in a lie at OCS, you will be gone in a heart beat. And I assume it is the same way beyond OCS.

KBayDog

Carno said:
...if you get caught in a lie at OCS, you will be gone in a heart beat. And I assume it is the same way beyond OCS.

'Tis true, except that beyond OCS, you will be sent packing with much more than just a bald head and a bus ticket.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
All they ask about is security realated stuff like, "Are you a spy? Have you ever given information to the Russians?" Stuff like that, so don't sweat it - it was actually kind of interesting.
Brett

Polygraphing people isnt exactly a science and takes some interpretation by the person giving the test to determine wheter or not a person is not being honest. I have a friend that was somewhat stressed out about the whole idea of getting a polygraph, and the examiner was a somewhat of a dick during the intro process so that didnt help her stress level too much - she "failed" the "Have you ever given classified information to a foreign intelligence service?" It was pretty comical because in the only job she worked after gradschool she had zero access to classified info, nor a security clearance (she worked writing organization newsletters and such.). They retested her again a couple of days later with a different examiner, she was a lot more relaxed and didnt have any problems the second time.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
MotivatorJames said:
I see beside your screen name you have TBS '06 so I'm guessing you have already been to OCS?? If so did you receive a polygraph while there?

If it's not clear yet: NO, there will be no polgraph test at OCS. In-Processing is enough of a goat rodeo without administering polygraph tests to drug waivers. Once you go through it you'll see that it'd be ridiculous.

If the staff even suspects that you're lying, they'll do a little investigation, then send your ass home. They don't need to trouble themselves with a polygraph test to send you home.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For Gawd's sake, just tell the truth the first time, every time, and you won't have to worry about any polygraph. If you did things that end up disqualifying you from the service...well, first go next door to the Army. I hear they're taking dope fiends (j/k, sorta).

At least if you're honest, you'll know you played your cards straight up and can look at yourself in the mirror. If it doesn't work out, look for another way to serve, whether that be AmeriCorps, firefighting, whatever. Go into everything thinking that they will find out everything eventually. Stay in long enough and you will eventually be up for a TS clearance and they may very well interview the fraternity bros you went to the Dead concert with. Then, "Luuu-cyy, you have a lot of 'splaining to do..."

MotivatorJames

I have decided from the feedback you all have given me is that I am better off telling my OSO about this because it will eventually come back to me and bite me in the ass, but is anyone positive about whether or not a ONE-INSTANCE use of mushrooms(I dont know the scientific name for it) disqualifies you from PLC or Marine Corps Enlistment in general?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
MotivatorJames said:
I have decided from the feedback you all have given me is that I am better off telling my OSO about this because it will eventually come back to me and bite me in the ass, but is anyone positive about whether or not a ONE-INSTANCE use of mushrooms(I dont know the scientific name for it) disqualifies you from PLC or Marine Corps Enlistment in general?

Everything is in the specifics, just tell the truth and take it from there...

SpeedyJ

SNA, Meridian
MotivatorJames said:
I have decided from the feedback you all have given me is that I am better off telling my OSO about this because it will eventually come back to me and bite me in the ass

Did you say earlier that he asked you if you had used any other drugs and you said no? Technically you already lied and he is not going to be to happy to hear you admit it. There are plenty of good Marines who have tried shrooms, "forgot" to make mention of it and are fine. Myself, I believe honesty is the best policy. I answered truthfully and got a waiver. But I answered truthfully the first time he asked. I just hope you didn't dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. Just for your info, there is no damn polygraph, they don't test your hair to find out your drug use history, your not going to have a flashback half way through a flight and crash the plane or any of the other crap people try to tell you to scare you. When people tell you this stuff just use common sense. If it sounds far fetched, mostly likely it is. The Marine Corps has better things to do with there money.

MotivatorJames

SpeedyJ said:
Did you say earlier that he asked you if you had used any other drugs and you said no? Technically you already lied and he is not going to be to happy to hear you admit it. There are plenty of good Marines who have tried shrooms, "forgot" to make mention of it and are fine. Myself, I believe honesty is the best policy. I answered truthfully and got a waiver. But I answered truthfully the first time he asked. I just hope you didn't dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. Just for your info, there is no damn polygraph, they don't test your hair to find out your drug use history, your not going to have a flashback half way through a flight and crash the plane or any of the other crap people try to tell you to scare you. When people tell you this stuff just use common sense. If it sounds far fetched, mostly likely it is. The Marine Corps has better things to do with there money.
This is really kind of the same case as me. It's not that I straight up lied to him about it, it is just the fact that the whole marijuana issue was on my mind at the time of the interview, not the one thing I tried once back in highschool. Since I admitted to the pot use, my earliest possible contract date for PLC has been pushed back almost a year. I know you're supposed to tell them everything you've ever done in the past, but at the time even if I had remembered to say it I really wouldn't have considered it a "habitual use of a drug" or whatever you may call it; in other words saying it is very insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.