• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Facebook page subject to public scrutiny (the Man DOES check on you)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/14/marines-facebook-comments-obama-fuel-free-speech-debate/

I know, it's FOX News, but a topic closely related to many of our hearts/minds.

I never had a chance to see his page, as it was taken down, but I think his lawyers are making a mountain our of a molehill...

As if worrying about the Chinese watching my Facebook isn't enough, now I have to worry about Big Navy too...

That being said, in a fight between the ACLU and the United States Marine Corps...I pick the Marines...
Pickle

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I don't think it was the speaking out per se, but the starting of a ""Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots" group that crossed the line from personal opinion into improper political activities per DoD 1344.10. You can speak your mind; forming a political group (real or online) with an apparent military affiliation....not so much.

I doubt the Marines would have noticed until the MSNBC appearance; I hope they have better things to be doing than cruising facebook.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
And actually... regardless of your apparent or unapparent military affiliation, you cannot participate in partisan political activities. You can attend rallies, fundraisers, etc. (in civvies), donate, but you cannot otherwise materially contribute to partisan political activities while on active duty.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I found this a little amusing, from a website linked on his page:

"Our Mission:
To preserve common sense conservatism and defend our Constitution that is threatened by a tyrannical government......"

The Phiz

pilot
Its really simple:
If you serve in the military and it is readily apparent on Facebook, don't post politically charged statements, unless you enjoy getting angry looks from your bosses.
Problem solved.

And this really boils down to Rule number 36 for the Clinically Retarded: Don't talk about your boss on FB.

m26

Contributor
I know, it's FOX News, but a topic closely related to many of our hearts/minds.

I think it's an AP story.

Doesn't look like that big of a deal. The facebook page was probably pushing it, and appearing on MSNBC as a Marine would have been over the line, but it looks like both the Marines and the Sergeant reacted reasonably.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I read an article regarding Gen. Petraeus in which he was quoted stating he had stopped voting...I've heard the same from other senior O's, that they removed themselves from tthe partisan scene altogether... I don't know if that is for me, I personally like to use the freedoms I defend, but I can see their point as well...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
And don't be the guy or gal that decides to speak at a tea party rally (or any rally for that matter) while in Uniform.

Unless that uniform is a giant, gun toting tea-bag...
TeaBagApocalypsebiggercopy.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
"There's this illusion that when we sign our contract and voluntarily commit, that we lose our right to speak out," Stein told the San Diego Union-Tribune in a story published Wednesday.

Huh? Isn't that EXACTLY what happens when we raise our right arm? We protect the right to free speech, but we give up a lot of the freedoms we protect when we're in uniform..... like spouting partisan political statements on camera.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
"There's this illusion that when we sign our contract and voluntarily commit, that we lose our right to speak out," Stein told the San Diego Union-Tribune in a story published Wednesday.

Huh? Isn't that EXACTLY what happens when we raise our right arm? We protect the right to free speech, but we give up a lot of the freedoms we protect when we're in uniform..... like spouting partisan political statements on camera.

No, you're wrong. Art 88 of the UCMJ states that it is unlawful to use any contemptuous words against the POTUS, VP, Congress, SECDEF, Homeland Security Sec'y, Military Secretaries, Governors and State Legislators. The language used must be personal; however policy criticisms are allowed. Furthermore, this Article ONLY can be used against an Officer.

So, in short, policy criticisms are allowed for officers, and enlisted cannot be charged with contempt under Article 88. Articles 89 and 91 deal with disrespect to Commisioned Officers, WO, PO's, or CPO's.

NL 400 beeeeeeetches.

top-10-ben-stiller-moments-20080805032631861.jpg

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
As an FYI, the root in Article 88 only applying to officers is that we receive our commission from the President, whereas enlisted members are serving out a contract.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The UCMJ is not the only thing you need to be concerned about, political activities by servicemembers is restricted by DoD Directive 1344.10.

You're supposed to wait for the first guy in the room to ask, "Can you show me that in writing?" before you drop a bomb like that! :)

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
The UCMJ is not the only thing you need to be concerned about, political activities by servicemembers is restricted by DoD Directive 1344.10.

Tou-cheeeeeee.

With that said, it's my understanding that you can still make statements so as long as you are not promoting it as something like "As a Marine, I feel that the President's policy towards... is good/bad/neutral/whatever."

Not the case?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tou-cheeeeeee.

With that said, it's my understanding that you can still make statements so as long as you are not promoting it as something like "As a Marine, I feel that the President's policy towards... is good/bad/neutral/whatever."

Not the case?

Sure, we do it here all the time. The problems can start when you become more involved in public politics instead of just talking about it at the bar or on AW. I think he is treading far into the gray area, not specific enough with his politics or statements to get hammered yet by existing rules but with a single statement or action he could cross the line easily, especially if he started speaking in public. With this type of action though I would not be surprised if the DoD revised it regulation sooner or later to encompass other stuff like this. Then again they just might let local commanders exercise their discretion in cases like this, unless it causes too much controversy.