• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Facebook page subject to public scrutiny (the Man DOES check on you)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, we do it here all the time. The problems can start when you become more involved in public politics instead of just talking about it at the bar or on AW. I think he is treading far into the gray area, not specific enough with his politics or statements to get hammered yet by existing rules but with a single statement or action he could cross the line easily, especially if he started speaking in public. With this type of action though I would not be surprised if the DoD revised it regulation sooner or later to encompass other stuff like this. Then again they just might let local commanders exercise their discretion in cases like this, unless it causes too much controversy.

+1 for this. I don't think his facebook postings were necessarily the thing that got him in hot water; the fact that his facebook postings led to get him an invite to comment on TV is what's inappropriate.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
+1 for this. I don't think his facebook postings were necessarily the thing that got him in hot water; the fact that his facebook postings led to get him an invite to comment on TV is what's inappropriate.

Yeah, but MSNBCrap will let anyone on their network...Rachel Maddow is a regular for Christ sake, and NOONE wants to look at his ugly face on TV...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The whole idea of the pertinent rules and regs is that the armed forces can't be seen to publicly endorse or oppose the elected government. If you think a policy is crap, you have the right to disagree with it. You even have the right to say you disagree with it, but as Joe Smith, Private Citizen. When you do it in uniform, you're implying that you're speaking in your capacity as a member of the armed forces - same reason you can't endorse a commercial venture in uniform. It's just a bad idea for the citizenry to get the impression that the guys with the tanks and bombers are picking sides in politics.