• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Designated MEUSOC M1911A1 as the 'M45'

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Firearm Blog is reporting on the designation "M45" as the official DOD/USMC nomenclature for the MEUSOC M1911A1 pistol...

Not earth shattering news, just interesting that HQMC is procuring lots of 1911 frames and slides to be built up - presumably at Quantico - as opposed to procuring an off the shelf, modern 1911, like a Kimber.

Read here

https://www.neco.navy.mil/upload/M67854/M6785409R11460002M67854-09-R-1146-0002.pdf

https://www.neco.navy.mil/upload/M67854/M6785409R11460002Attachment_(2).pdf

and

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Firearm Blog is reporting on the designation "M45" as the official DOD/USMC nomenclature for the MEUSOC M1911A1 pistol...

Not earth shattering news, just interesting that HQMC is procuring lots of 1911 frames and slides to be built up - presumably at Quantico - as opposed to procuring an off the shelf, modern 1911, like a Kimber.

Read here

https://www.neco.navy.mil/upload/M67854/M6785409R11460002M67854-09-R-1146-0002.pdf

https://www.neco.navy.mil/upload/M67854/M6785409R11460002Attachment_(2).pdf

and

Like the cheap-ass Marines are going to shell out the cash for a premium pistol like a Kimber.

Brett

sodajones

Combat Engineer
The original MEUSOC pistols are Kimbers (I thought).

Edit: Yup, I was right.
In the late 1980s, the Marines laid out a series of specifications and improvements to make Browning's design ready for 21st century combat, many of which have been included in MEU(SOC) pistol designs, but design and supply time was limited.[12] Discovering that the Los Angeles Police Department was pleased with their special Kimber M1911 pistols, a single source request was issued to Kimber for just such a pistol despite the imminent release of their TLE/RLII models.[13] Kimber shortly began producing a limited number of what would be later termed the Interim Close Quarters Battle pistol (ICQB). Maintaining the simple recoil assembly, 5-inch barrel (though using a stainless steel match grade barrel), and internal extractor, the ICQB is not much different from Browning's original design.

The final units as issued to MCSOCOM Det-1 are the Kimber ICQBs with Surefire IMPL (Integrated Military Pistol Light), Dawson Precision Rails, Tritium Novak LoMount sights, Gemtech TRL Tactical Retention Lanyards, modified Safariland 6004 holsters, and Wilson Combat '47D' 8 round magazines. They have reportedly been used with over 15,000 rounds apiece.[13]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol#cite_note-swat-12

FlyinRock

Like the cheap-ass Marines are going to shell out the cash for a premium pistol like a Kimber.

Brett

And I was impressed but not in the way you think when I shot a fancy Kimber and the front sight fell off within 20 rounds ............... Not what you expect for a $1K plus?? Those that I have fondled and shot did not impress me as much as my old Colt 1911's built up by some MTU Buddies.
Hell I have one that has over 125K hardball thru it and nothing more dibilitating than a broken firing pin at around 100K rounds.
Semper fi

phrogpilot73

I'd trust weapons built by armorers in Quantico more than Kimber. Why? Because they know from personal experience what MARSOC needs, as well as where other weapons fail (because they see them all the time).

sodajones

Combat Engineer
The armorers of Quantico were very involved in what and how Kimber produced the 1911s. They requried Kimber to not use their "kimber 2" modernizations such as magazine safety and external extractor.

Kimber use to be very high in quality until they moved from Oregon to NY and decided to implement MIM parts and other BS.

The Kimber Warrior and Desert Warrior are based on the model Kimber made for the Corps. It doesn't contain MIM parts or magazine safety, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And I was impressed but not in the way you think when I shot a fancy Kimber and the front sight fell off within 20 rounds ............... Not what you expect for a $1K plus?? Those that I have fondled and shot did not impress me as much as my old Colt 1911's built up by some MTU Buddies.
Hell I have one that has over 125K hardball thru it and nothing more dibilitating than a broken firing pin at around 100K rounds.
Semper fi

Hey, don't bitch at me because you don't like Kimber. I'm not the one touting them as superior (except in price, perhaps). Please reference the OP. :D

Brett

FlyinRock

Brett

Isn't that what you said? Did I misinterpret something?
Rocky

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

Isn't that what you said? Did I misinterpret something?
Rocky

Not really worth getting into, but the OP is the one who recommended they use Kimbers, not I. Since Kimbers are a little spendy, I immediately concluded that the Marines were too cheap to buy them (the truthiness of that statement is irrelevant to the friendly jab I send your way). Then you (and others) proceed to detail all of the shortcomings of a Kimber. All I'm doing is pointing out that I'm not the one who recommended the Kimbers in the first place. Whew!

Make sense now? :D

Brett

FlyinRock

Brett
OK. I guess I was being overly sensitive to cheap assed Marines. We learned how to do pretty good with what was handed us. I can vividly recall back when Colt first came out with the Gold Cup in the mid 50's and how everyone was raving about them. Those of us who were on different shooting teams thought they were pretty but didn't shoot any better than our issue guns that had been match conditioned. The Gold Cup quality went down and the hype went up after that!
I haven't changed my mind about them either! I'll take a plain old 1911, put a decent set of sights on it and maybe a trigger job and shoot the hell out of the center of targets all day long! And, for sure, they will do as good as 95% of the Kimbers out there. To be honest, how much of it is operator capability? Gun for gun, I'll take an MTU conditioned 1911 to any of the current offerings in the civilian market when it comes to betting my life on it.
I got to fondle some of the latest guns that came to the local ForceRecon unit that had come from Quantico and I was really happy to see the quality. None of them was Kimber and each was ready for serious combat use.
Best Regards and Semper Fi
Rocky

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Kimbers/schmimbers ... Colts/dolts ... what have I been sayin' since I showed up on this board ... ???

DANCE W/ THE ONE THAT BRUNG' YA ...

Fuckin' A ... :)

The more things change ... ????

0eb8812be60d9130aa53a6f.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Gotta agree with Flyin' Rock on this one. As far as Bullseye guns go, the ones built by the service guys (Charlie Frazier and the guys from Crane in my case) were the best available. Simple, straightforward accurizing and functionality... For several years I had a callus on the web of my right hand from so many hardball rounds downrange.

The 1911 thread reminds me of a guy I knew back in the early 60's who had crewed on a Foss tugboat out of Seattle. He told of towing barges loaded with surplus 1911's, M-1's, and carbines out to sea and dumping them in the ocean. :eek: