• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Aviation Career

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
The living conditions at home base are nice, but you will still do detachments and deployments to some austere locations. You will also have at least 1 wheel missing from all of your desk chairs, the slowest and oldest computers imaginable and not enough of said computers.

Many things may have changed, but I believe we are still the most frugal of all the services.

That being said, I have yet to play poker with any sewer rats. Though that can probably be arranged at the Yuma BOQ from what I have heard.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
That being said, I have yet to play poker with any sewer rats. Though that can probably be arranged at the Yuma BOQ from what I have heard.

That's a low blow.

It's outdated, inefficient, inconvenient, inhospitable, poorly decorated, awfully furnished, ugly, uncomfortable, and cruel.......

But it's clean and rat free.

And it's full most of the time.

81montedriver

pilot
That's a low blow.

It's outdated, inefficient, inconvenient, inhospitable, poorly decorated, awfully furnished, ugly, uncomfortable, and cruel.......

I had to go to sleep drunk almost every night of the 6 weeks I spent there in order to fall asleep on those rock hard mattresses.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I had to go to sleep drunk almost every night of the 6 weeks I spent there in order to fall asleep on those rock hard mattresses.

My guess is that would have happened regardless of the mattresses, but your point is valid.

New beds and mattresses are inbound. The turd gets a little shinier.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That's a low blow.

Full of what? Crickets? No matter how many you stomp, more will be there the next day.

And HMM, your parents are trying to sell you a bunch of hippy bullshit. The same hippy bullshit mine tried to feed me. Are a lot of our work facilities austere? Yes. Do we have some bad deals because we don't have any money? Yes. But we are well taken care of and well paid. Ask your MOI if you can see his place. Ask him what is was like to live in Hawaii for a few years.

Same with your family talking smack about working with stupid people. It's an opinion left over from your grandfather's Corps. I have a degree in Physics. Many enlisted Marines are college grads. Many are intensely smart, especially in the air wing. Hell, your MOI was valedictorian out of college and he was infantry before college, and went back to the infantry after (if it's still the same guy as the past few years we were good friends through school and rowed together at GSU).

Basically, your parents are full of shit, and don't want their baby to go to war. Your mom wants you in starboard delta your whole career, or even better, a SWO. I mean, nobody dies for their country in the Navy anymore, right?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same with your family talking smack about working with stupid people. It's an opinion left over from your grandfather's Corps....

I find many people like that stereotype because it reassures their egos. "Only those too dumb to get a real job join the military. I, on the other hand, am too smart, sophisticated, and independant for that sort of thing."

Willingness to take up a weapon and defend your tribe's cave has been the definition of manliness since before humans were even technically humans. I know now we're all supposed to be progressive and ironically detached nowadays and don't need that sort of thing any more, but dammit, it's hard-wired into us at the DNA level. Thus the self-conscious defensiveness of those who aren't willing to do it.

KBayDog

I find many people like that stereotype because it reassures their egos. "Only those too dumb to get a real job join the military. I, on the other hand, am too smart, sophisticated, and independant for that sort of thing."

If those too dumb to get a real job join the military, one only needs to look at the "stats" we see every single day on here of the guys who don't get picked up for commissioning programs....or look at the many Marines that have been under my charge with undergraduate and graduate degrees. (On one of my last flights in the Phrog, my crew chief was a newly-minted Gunny with a Master's degree - that's one more Master's degree than I have!)

Anyway, the naysayers are right - 18-year old knuckle-dragging enlistees who learn multiple Arabic dialects in a few short months, maintain the avionics on the F-22, or drive 67-ton tanks obviously couldn't make it in the "real world."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ask your MOI if you can see his place. Ask him what is was like to live in Hawaii for a few years.

Many are intensely smart, especially in the air wing. Hell, your MOI was valedictorian out of college and he was infantry before college, and went back to the infantry after (if it's still the same guy as the past few years we were good friends through school and rowed together at GSU).

Well now we know who the GA Tech MOI's date to the Marine Corps ball is going to be.....or is this just a man crush that hasn't developed into anything yet? :)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Well now we know who the GA Tech MOI's date to the Marine Corps ball is going to be.....or is this just a man crush that hasn't developed into anything yet? :)

1) You're not in any position to be calling others out on man crushes or bro-mances.

B) Hell nah...He's a ginger.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
1) You're not in any position to be calling others out on man crushes or bro-mances.

B) Hell nah...He's a ginger.

I guess in physics, B follows #1 :)

As an aside, dark gingers, otherwise known as secret gingers, make the world go around