• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Aviation Career

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Well, all due respect, but your knowledge of Navy Aviation is probably pretty lacking, especially in helo land (as is pourts'). And beyond the "gung ho Navy" teasing people like to do around here if I even obliquely mention some of the cool stuff we get to do, I'm not talking about me and what I've done specifically. Plenty of people do plenty of things besides "just flying exclusively over water" and you can hear about them if you do some searching. I spent 6 months in Iraq flying MEDEVAC. Plenty of dets split time between the boat and flying in Japan with outside units (think SOF etc), or doing HADR stuff. My advice is if you are thinking about helo aviation, ask helo pilots, not a bunch of ignorant jet dudes. If you want to fly jets, then I'm sure they'll be a wealth of knowledge.

Nice write up. I probably wouldn't focus on flying in circles for hours waiting for the jets to land either.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My advice is if you are thinking about helo aviation, ask helo pilots, not a bunch of ignorant jet dudes. If you want to fly jets, then ask a brilliant jet dude, not an ignorant OttoWrote8!

FIFY... Oops, bumped my mast head.:eek:
BzB

81montedriver

pilot
If you go Hercs, housing won't matter because you are never home, just living it up in hotels and racking up per diem.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
But, they were perpetuating the "All Marines are idiots."

My best friend has a degree in Astrophysics from Colorado College. He's a Marine- just checked into VFA-106 to learn how to fly the Hornet, then off to Beufort. I can guarantee you that all Marines are not idiots.

Well, except Kbay- but he's like your retarded little brother. You bring him along because awesomeness and hilarity ensues wherever he may go. ;)

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
They said that the Marine Corps doesn't take care of their officers and it is hard to have a long career in aviation.

That's patently false. The Corps as a whole, takes better care of it's people than most corporations. For aviation in the Corps you're looking atleast at 9 to 11 years depending on platform. When you get out with a thousand or two hours - You'll be highly marketable.

They said that there are not many benefits.

Full medical, dental, TSP, pension, plus numerous other on base service benefits you can seek out by yourself, MWR, commissary privileges, etc. If you take the time and seek it out.

They basically implied that living conditions and housing pay, etc went beyond not being cushy and nice, but was down right crappy.

I've lived in four different places in my short stint so far. Two of which were houses on the water and the others were nice apartments off base. I've never lived on base. Why is that? Because it's not required for officers. My opinion of housing pay is great because I pocket half of it and my roommates and I blew it on 3 card poker, Sammy's, bushwhackers, and irish wakes.

The one that bugged me is that they outright asked if I wanted to work with stupid people all day.

Yeah that's not true at all and pretty offensive as well. However, considering the comments that a lot of military personnel make about the intellect of our civilian populace, I'll call it even.

HMM265GS

Yeah that's not true at all and pretty offensive as well

Just for repetition's sake, I want to fully emphasize that I did not say nor believe the statement my parents made and intended absolute zero disrespect for any service member.

One last thing to clarify would be when I asked about staying in, I didn't mean until I can get out. I am looking for 20+ for retirement. I want the military to be my life. Is that difficult?

Thank you so much for everyone who has offered their advice and information.

When I pull my PT up, it seems like I will be going green.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
One last thing to clarify would be when I asked about staying in, I didn't mean until I can get out. I am looking for 20+ for retirement. I want the military to be my life. Is that difficult?

Wait until you have experienced the military until you make that decision. You have to experience the pros and cons yourself before committing to it for 20+ years. What might be important to you now, might not matter so much later on in life. You also have to factor in family, children, if you chose to go down that route. Not everyone gets to stay in for 20 either, as it is an up or out career progression. Staying in for 20 years is possible but it's not an easy road.

HMM265GS

Staying in for 20 years is possible but it's not an easy road.

Ok, thank you very much. One last minor specific, though. Would the difficulty of staying in (should I choose to based on all of the above mentioned reasons) change being in the Navy versus the Marine Corps?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ok, thank you very much. One last minor specific, though. Would the difficulty of staying in (should I choose to based on all of the above mentioned reasons) change being in the Navy versus the Marine Corps?

Same in the Navy. Depending on retention, it can be relatively easy or cutthroat. I'd echo what others above have said. I'm over 6 years in, and I have absolutely no idea if I'm going to do 20. You won't know for a while. Many don't know until they take the "blood money" at O-4 or not and stay in for 20 or get out. But all that will be apparent to you at the right time.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is that counting BDCP years as being "in" joboy? :)

edit: granted, those years do count towards retirement

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Is that counting BDCP years as being "in" joboy? :)

edit: granted, those years do count towards retirement

It means I can retire in less than 14 years and counts toward TIS for pay. So on paper, it's identical to anyone else who was "in" for the same amount of time.

Real enough for me.