• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Air Contract

Wickle

Hello gentlemen,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, or if this is in the wrong section. I have tried searching, but no results about "drones" really show up.

I recently acquired an air contract with my local OSO, and was wondering if it was possible for them to put me as a UAV pilot down the road. Also, do the Marine Corps fly UAVs? I've heard some stories where they are beginning to. I guess I just want the peace of mind that I will be putting in the work and will be earning a seat in an actual plane.

Thanks again.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Hello gentlemen,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, or if this is in the wrong section. I have tried searching, but no results about "drones" really show up.

I recently acquired an air contract with my local OSO, and was wondering if it was possible for them to put me as a UAV pilot down the road. Also, do the Marine Corps fly UAVs? I've heard some stories where they are beginning to. I guess I just want the peace of mind that I will be putting in the work and will be earning a seat in an actual plane.

Thanks again.

No one is selecting UAVs and I doubt that would happen for a loooooooong time.

Wickle

A friend asked me that question and it got me thinking/worried for a little, is all. Thank you sir!

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
They are having UAS mixers at TBS now. Our company has not had ours yet so I do not know all the details. From what it sounds like, the UAS route is separate from 7599. Rest easy for now.

Good job on the contract. Is it for OCC-217?

Renegade One

None
Hello gentlemen,... recently acquired an air contract with my local OSO, and was wondering if it was possible for them to put me as a UAV pilot down the road.

No…your OSO or his/her "minions" can't flag you as a UAV pilot.

Now…"Mother USMC" may issue you orders to such duty at some point in time…if it meets the needs of the service.
...I guess I just want the peace of mind that I will be putting in the work and will be earning a seat in an actual plane.
Peace be upon you. :)

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
They are having UAS mixers at TBS now. Our company has not had ours yet so I do not know all the details. From what it sounds like, the UAS route is separate from 7599. Rest easy for now.

Good job on the contract. Is it for OCC-217?

This is correct, I'm at TBS now. I'm pretty sure it's the 7315 MOS. Not only have mixers been happening, Marines have been selecting this MOS for at least the past 3 companies. They are going through a lot of training with the Air Force after TBS.

All of the Marines who got UAVs were ground contracts who opted to fight for a competitive air slot (SNA, NFO, UAVs). To my knowledge, you cannot get an air contract right now as a UAV commander, but I could be wrong.

Make sure you understand what UAV commanders do though. Their primary duty will not be getting stick time and flying, it will be commanding a team of enlisted Marines. Not a bad thing, just different. At least you get to have young Marines to lead. Yutt!!.... Ohh God, I've been at TBS too long and have drinking too much koolaid.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
They are having UAS mixers at TBS now.

I bet those are awesome conversations.

No shit there I was....

"...watching my enlisted Marines do Jlaser comms over TAD for a simulated HF shot. We did 5 in one on station time!"

"The sensor scan plan was locked-tight...you could tell the other TMS flight lead totally bought into my idea..."

"and yeah we get to wear a flight suit..."

Wickle

As long as I secured an air contract with my OSO I'll be good to go, right? Don't get me wrong, hats off and respect to UAV officers, but i'd much rather sit in a plane! :)

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
You're good to go in the sense that as long as you complete and pass what is required of you, you'll go to Pensacola. There's still a couple of things that you'll need to do first.

- Pass a flight physical
- Graduate from OCS
- Graduate from college (your profile says you're a senior)
- Commission (Don't get a DUI or do something stupid)
- Graduate from TBS

But no, they won't all of a sudden change your contract to UAVs or NFO if you have a pilot contract. Congrats on being selected by the way.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a dude here at -106 who voluntarily resigned his flight status in lieu of getting an adverse fitrep from an FFPB. He was told by the monitor that UAVs are likely to be in his future.

Wickle

Thanks gentlemen!

What is a FFPB? Can you clarify? I'm a little unknowledgeable on military acronyms.... -106?

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I'm assuming that -106 is in reference to VFA-106, the Fleet Replacement Squadron (or Replacement Air Group) for F/A-18s and FFPB is Field Flight Performance Boards.

The FRS (used to be called the RAG) is where you go right before you hit the fleet, learning fleet operations for the F/A-18.

As to the FFPB, someone else will have to speak to the details of that... I'm not too sure.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
An FFPB is a FNAEB for Marines. I'm going through one now because I've DQ'd twice at the boat during the FRS syllabus (don't ever let anyone tell you that this shit is easy. It is not.) Basically it's how winged aviators are attrited.

Wickle

An FFPB is a FNAEB for Marines. I'm going through one now because I've DQ'd twice at the boat during the FRS syllabus (don't ever let anyone tell you that this shit is easy. It is not.) Basically it's how winged aviators are attrited.

Is it common to be recommended to an FFPB or get terminated of flight status once you go to the board?

I wish you the best of luck sir.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
If it had decent hours its probably not a bad gig compared to a tour at the MAG/Wing. Not saying I'd volunteer for it, but there are probably worse gigs out there.