• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mandatory Scarves

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
MuHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

I love it... This is sheer ludicrosity. Also, the green-elf-boots look exceedingly stupid.

I am just hoping I know someone in whatever command this is so I can personally call them and ridicule them.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
maybe it's because they know that every AF flyer secretly hates them like this guy:
I've spent less than 3-days wearing a scarf for the record. Little secret, the AF guys hate them too.

but seriously, what is the deal with the scarf in the AF? is it from the early history of aviation or something, like the brown shoes? but then how did the navy aviators dodge the scarf bullet then? i did a search on the "knower of all things" wikipedia, but it came up empty

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
The Airforce ROTC unit occupies half of the building that our unit is housed in and they have several ascots on display like war trophies or something. Very ghey.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
I imagine that there are plenty of other USAF pilots who would find this new directive equally appallingly gay.

Not a pilot (parents stayed together), but yeah, this is about as gay as anything that's came out of the Castro district

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
DAK-scarf_small.jpg

Nuzing vill kom klosh too haw Vonderfull zee Germans lookked in zier scarfvs

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
That memo doesn’t surprise me. I had two instructor tours in a joint Navy/AF squadron and the OG can be a Nazi about patches. All Navy instructors were ordered by the Deputy OG to remove the American Flag from our flight suits and wear the OG patch in the name of uniformity to stand in formation at the OG change of command. Granted it was nice to be at a change of command ceremony in a flight suit vice chokers, but it was un-American to remove my flag IMHO. Second tour, Navy studs had to wear their class patch in place of the American Flag. No patch should ever replace the American Flag on the flight suit as far as I’m concerned.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Speaking of flight suit issues, our skipper said there's a modification to the uniform regs that's made its way up to the CNO's desk. Long story short is that they would be authorized for wear off-base, but that you'd only be allowed the standard USN patch as your "morale patch" and that everyone would go to wearing black undershirts with the green flight suits and tan undershirts with the desert ones. One of the MOs brought up some good points about organizational clothing vs. uniform clothing and different pots of money, etc. etc. Any other rumblings of a change wrt the flight suit uniform policies out there?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
maybe it's because they know that every AF flyer secretly hates them like this guy:

but seriously, what is the deal with the scarf in the AF? is it from the early history of aviation or something, like the brown shoes? but then how did the navy aviators dodge the scarf bullet then? i did a search on the "knower of all things" wikipedia, but it came up empty

I think it was a remnant of the WWI fighters...they chafed their necks constantly swivelling their heads looking for German planes, and this cut down on the chafage (is that a real word?) I think there was a blurb about it in some recent movie about that as well...Flyboys?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I think it was a remnant of the WWI fighters...they chafed their necks constantly swivelling their heads looking for German planes, and this cut down on the chafage (is that a real word?) I think there was a blurb about it in some recent movie about that as well...Flyboys?

Silly me. I thought they started wearing scarves to keep their neck and face warm. You know, open cockpit and all.

nugget81

pilot

STLEngineer

pilot
...No patch should ever replace the American Flag on the flight suit as far as I’m concerned.

According to the uniform regulations they (class/OG patches) shouldn't. I would have tried to fight it, but as an ENS, I'm sure I'd have been told to shit down and shut up.

(e) Left Shoulder. One optional logo
may be centered on the shoulder arch, approximately 1
inch below the seam. This logo may be a 2 inch by 4
inch rectangular U.S. flag patch or graduate level​
aircrew training patch (TACCO, etc.).