• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mameluke Sword

Carno

Insane
Roger that. I'm not planning on wearing my sword for my commissioning, as I will not be buying all of the required accessories for that, but I was just wondering if anyone had.

Thanks for the info.

Crowbar

None
This is pretty much what the "sword inspection" is looking for:

Uniform Regs said:
b. Sword blade lengths are available in a range from 26 to 35 inches. The regulation sword length for an individual is determined with the sword at the carry position. The tip of the blade will fall not more than 1 inch above or below eye level.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I bought a Marine Shoppe sword. The balsa-wood lining inside the scabbard started peeling out, which I rectified with uber-glue. I guess this means Marine Shoppe swords suck.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
We were informed today that internet swords are a no go. They must have a serial number near the hilt. Of course the word might change...it's TBS.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
We were informed today that internet swords are a no go. They must have a serial number near the hilt. Of course the word might change...it's TBS.

I imagine that the serial number they are referring to is the Uniform Board certification number. Several vendors who sell their swords online have the certification number from the uniform board. You are absolutely correct that you do not want to purchase a sword without the certification number on it.

oops, Carno beat me to it

Carno

Insane
Anyways, I just got my sword delivered from marlowwhite.com and I am very happy with it. Total cost was $475 for just the sword and scabbard.

And it did have a serial number on the hilt. Apparently I have sword number 443.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I got commissioned almost 8 years ago and used my sword for the first time (outside TBS) 3 days ago for my buddies wedding. I've never had, nor heard of, a sword inspection. If they're doing that at TBS now, save your money and take the hit for having a cheap, crappy sword..... chances are you'll never use it after TBS anyway, especially in the aviation community. If you do use it, it will be for someone's wedding and no one will care what your sword looks like. It took us a half hour just to figure out how to properly hook the thing up to our sam brown belts. Not to mention re-teaching ourselves enough sword drill so we didn't kill the bride trying to do a sword arch. Buy the cheapest one you can find but avoid EBay etc etc.... at least buy at the exchange or somewhere else that has approved USMC swords.

On another note..... avoid buying the full compliment of uniform items if you can. I wore my Service Alpha's for the first time 4 months ago when I checked in here. You don't need 3 long sleeved khaki shirts and 3 short sleeved, 2 pair of Service pants etc etc or whatever TBS is saying all officers should have. I pretty much have one of each uniform item minus the tanker jacket and all weather coat (never had a need for those). Keep in mind that this may change depending on you MOS. In aviation, I've worn a flight suit 99% of the time since starting flight school. If you're an Adj, JAG etc, you may have more need for multiple uniform items.

Also, in January of 2003, my house burned downed when I was at the RAG..... burned up everything I owned. Get renters insurance, it's about $150-200 per year. Get a fire proof safe and put all your uniforms reciepts in it. It would suck to have to buy all the uniforms again out of your pocket. Luckily, I was covered.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you value money, don't get your sword engraved. You'll never be able to sell it.

So, do some people buy used swords, and is that a good or bad way to go? Seems like something where you should know the person and not do via the interweb.