• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mameluke Sword

ERAUpilot

I am a soon to be 2nd LT (May '06) and was wondering about the Mameluke Sword.
- Whats the difference between the Marine Shop's and the PX?
- What about the German made vs Spanish?
I know some are more expensive than others and I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me the real difference. Anybody out there with some good or bad stories would be a great help.
Semper Fi,
-Box

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
The PX has the German blade, as well as the (newer) English... They look identical, and the only difference lies in the price. Also, the Marine Shop offers theirs in a fancy case... Overall, it seems to rest on whether you can afford to pay for all up front, like with your Alphas. Both are good to go...

cwyx

Officer Sword

I just got a newsletter email from my OSO. He said the first guy to get two other people to commit to PLC or another officer program, will recieve a officer sword uppon commisioning. He wrote that they cost 1,000 bucks and are required. wow. Whats the deal with those swords. My two best friends both get out of MCRD San Diego on Friday, are there any commisioning programs for new enlisted recruits or somthing? Maybe they would be interested. They both had really high asvab scores, no college though.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, the sword is that expensive.
Search the site, if your friends are reservists and heading for school you might be elligible. If they are Active Duty then they will need to establish a bit of a professional reputation to be considered for a commisioning program.

Im guessing your OSO is looking for some of your college buddies but ask.

Carno

Insane
Well, the sword with all that you need for it may be $1000...

Just the sword and scabbard can be bought from the MC Exchange for $588.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Well, the sword with all that you need for it may be $1000...

Just the sword and scabbard can be bought from the MC Exchange for $588.

Bull. Get it from Marlow White.

http://www.militarysabers.com/navy-officer-sword-package.html

My family decided to buy me a sword for my commissioning. $475 (if you register with them. $500 if you dont) get's you the sword, Laser engraved with your name, the belt, the scabbard, the sword knot, and a padded case. Everything you need.

And it's higher quality work then the ones I've seen at the exchange. They even have a whole sword buying walkthrough for identifying the different manufacturers work, and good pictures to show you the difference.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Sounds like a good incentive, though I am surprised that the OSO is hurting for applicants that badly. $1K sounds a little steep for the sword, $600 is a little more realistic. Honestly, if I had to do it again I would buy a knock-off sword from ebay for $50. Yes, I am a dirtbag.

Paul

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
or you could not get one for a while and save up for a the JO TV.

that's if you are navy, though

Carno

Insane

http://www.militarysabers.com/navy-officer-sword-package.html

My family decided to buy me a sword for my commissioning. $475 (if you register with them. $500 if you dont) get's you the sword, Laser engraved with your name, the belt, the scabbard, the sword knot, and a padded case. Everything you need.

And it's higher quality work then the ones I've seen at the exchange. They even have a whole sword buying walkthrough for identifying the different manufacturers work, and good pictures to show you the difference.

Don't forget you're in the Marine section. You're Navy.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Yeah, ditto on Marlow White, I got my sword (Navy) from there (through a distributor) and it's great. I know a few Marines I graduated with that got their's from them as well. Overall awesome quality and a heck of a lot cheaper than the exchange.

Carno

Insane
Bump

Well, my commissioning is in December and my parents want to buy me a sword as a commissioning present. Right now I know of three places to buy a Mameluke sword: marlowwhite.com, the MC Exchange and the Marine Shop. Does anyone recommend either of these places over the others? Anyone unhappy with their sword?

Also, what is the sword inspection at TBS? What happens if you have bought a sword and it fails the inspection? I spoke with someone at the Marine Shop and she said they won't engrave your sword until after the sword inspection at TBS. Is it really necessary to wait until then to engrave your sword?

Also, can the sword be worn with the Sam Browne belt? Anyone here worn their sword during their commissioning?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
As far as the "sword inspection" goes, it was pretty much non-existant for my company. The only thing I can remember that even approached an inspection was a Sgt telling me my sword was too long, and then another Sgt telling me it was too short. I think the Marine Shop makes a much bigger deal about the "inspection" and not having your sword engraved than is really warranted. I ordered mine from the UK already engraved, and there wasn't any problem.

As far as which sword to buy, there isn't much difference between WKC's sword and the Spanish sword. Wilkinson's swords are a little bit different, but you'd have to look closely to tell, with the exception of their high-end hand made products ($1300 for sword and scabbard vice $550-$700 for the machine made version). Wilkinson apparently ceased manufacturing swords last September though, so I don't even know if you can find them anymore.

As far as the sword and the Sam Browne belt, that is an acceptable combination. Didn't presonally wear a sword at my comissioning, but I suppose it might be different everywhere you go.

Bottom line, don't sweat the inspection and sweat which sword to buy even less. Both appeared same in quality and design, the biggest differance (as far as I saw) being the size of the stars on the grip rivets. I will say that it might be nice to purchase from a source in/near Quantico, as at least one person in my platoon had to have their sword repaired during TBS.