• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Making O-4 competitive or shoe in?

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
In the jet community is putting on LCDR difficult or if you stay out of trouble you pretty much put it on?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the jet community is putting on LCDR difficult or if you stay out of trouble you pretty much put it on?
I don't believe any promotion beyond LTJG is a 'shoo-in'. For LCDR, in addition to "staying out of trouble", a modicum of proven leadership, and continued performance would be expected to be documented in your FitReps. In aviation units, an O-4 is normally expected to be qualified for assignment of OIC responsibilities leading unit detachments.;)
BzB, prior ET-2 (SS):cool:
*Thinkin' a prior "Tin-Bender" would make a great Wingman!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I don't believe any promotion beyond LTJG is a 'shoo-in'. For LCDR, in addition to "staying out of trouble", a modicum of proven leadership, and continued performance would be expected to be documented in your FitReps. In aviation units, an O-4 is normally expected to be qualified for assignment of OIC responsibilities leading unit detachments.;)
BzB, prior ET-2 (SS):cool:
*Thinkin' a prior "Tin-Bender" would make a great Wingman!
I thought LT was another auto-promote, or close to it? Am I wrong? What's the saying? To make JG you need a pulse, to make LT you need to be conscious....

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought LT was another auto-promote, or close to it? Am I wrong? What's the saying? To make JG you need a pulse, to make LT you need to be conscious....
It's just a saying... You're not wrong. Blowing O-3 would indeed be rare, although I have seen it on a few occasions. I doubt that any sitting selection board member would consider any rank selection as "auto-promote", but for LT, it is close to it!:)
BzB

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Depends on the year.

Across the Navy the O-4 selection rate was 64% last year. The year before it, and most years in recent history, it was 84%. Like everything else, it's going to depend on luck, and timing.

Renegade One

None
Depends on the year.

Across the Navy the O-4 selection rate was 64% last year. The year before it, and most years in recent history, it was 84%. Like everything else, it's going to depend on luck, and timing.
Two quick thoughts from the Peanut Gallery:
1. I think that putting on LCDR in ANY community is NOT a "shoe in". It's (IMHO) the first time "Big Navy" gets to say "Your record to date seems to indicate you may be capable of bigger things…try these on for size and we'll see."
2. Fuck "luck and timing" (unless that's how you also play your money in Vegas…). Perform to promote and you'll probably beat the house odds. There are exceptions...

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
It's just a saying... You're not wrong. Blowing O-3 would indeed be rare, although I have seen it on a few occasions. I doubt that any sitting selection board member would consider any rank selection as "auto-promote", but for LT, it is close to it!:)
BzB

Not sure how it used to be, but there is no selection board for O-3. it truly is auto-promote, with only those on legal hold or with some type of special circumstance left behind.

Renegade One

None
Not sure how it used to be, but there is no selection board for O-3. it truly is auto-promote, with only those on legal hold or with some type of special circumstance left behind.
Yeah, the rank is "yours to lose"…and I'm sure there are some that do:

As of FY-03 LTJG's no longer go before a promotion board. ALNAV 033/02 provides details.
The Lieutenant AFQL is a selection process conducted by PERS-80 which screens all Active, Reserve, and Full Time Support (FTS) line and staff officers in the grade of Lieutenant (Junior Grade) who meet the statutory eligibility requirements for selection to Lieutenant the next fiscal year. Those officers who will have completed the statutory time-in-grade (TIG) requirement of 24 months within the next fiscal year, have earned a “Promotable” advancement recommendation on their most recent regular fitness report, and who have been screened and reviewed for adverse information will normally be placed on the select list for Lieutenant.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. I think that putting on LCDR in ANY community is NOT a "shoe in".
You said shoe.

file_180273_0_Beavis_and_Butt-head_819.jpg

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If you leave your first fleet squadron (VFA wise) with an MP, the chances of making O4 are not good.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you leave your first fleet squadron (VFA wise) with an MP, the chances of making O4 are not good.

As long as you get a competitive EP (even in a small group) sometime before the O-4 board, you should make it.

My fleet high water mark was a #1 MP due to timing (damn super JOs) with a 1/1 EP out the door and I received multiple #1 EP's during my shore tour as well as my dis-associated and made LCDR.

No EP as a Lieutenant, no LCDR for you. Oh yeah, you also need to obtain your platform quals as a JO, otherwise you have no chance. I've known a few that did not acheive their Mission Commander and thusly, did not make LCDR.

robav8r

None
Contributor
No EP as a Lieutenant, no LCDR for you. Oh yeah, you also need to obtain your platform quals as a JO, otherwise you have no chance. I've known a few that did not acheive their Mission Commander and thusly, did not make LCDR.
Good gouge here. For VP bubbas during your JO tour, you really need a competitive EP, Mission Commander & Instructor qual to achieve any long-term success in the community. I have seen MANY who did extremely well AFTER their JO tour but did not screen for O4/O5 & Command because of their JO tour performace. That first tour counts a lot . . .