• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAJOR IRR Policy Change...

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I submitted some JKO courses that were on the 2018 list. I am a IRR-ASP member with less than 16 qualifying years. The way I read the policy change is that I am in the IRR-ASP until 30 NOV 17, therefore, they should count toward retirement points. We'll see if it works out that way.

m5h9

Hey Lost Sea Bee,

In a previous post you have mentioned that you received some gouge that "it can take up to a year to be placed in an S2 status." This seems to conflict with the looming 30Nov deadline. I know it was written, but seems that they said what they were going to do without giving thought to the details and that delays should be expected. Anyway, just curious where you heard that gouge? Thanks
Ok, after re-reading - the IRR counselor. Still, how do you flush thousands of folks in a couple of months, is it really that easy?

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Hey Lost Sea Bee,

In a previous post you have mentioned that you received some gouge that "it can take up to a year to be placed in an S2 status." This seems to conflict with the looming 30Nov deadline. I know it was written, but seems that they said what they were going to do without giving thought to the details and that delays should be expected. Anyway, just curious where you heard that gouge? Thanks
Ok, after re-reading - the IRR counselor. Still, how do you flush thousands of folks in a couple of months, is it really that easy?
I'm guessing that they really didn't think it through. Someone came up with the policy change to save money and "align" with other branches, everyone agreed and no one thought it through. With that being said, the policy letter states that "Officers between eight year MSO and 16 qualifying years of service for retirement will be placed in the Standby Reserve-Inactive (USNR-S2) status as of 30 November 2017." So I am preparing as though I will be in USNR-S2 status as of 01 DEC 17. I just completed enough JKO courses to get me to above 50 points without the 15 GRAT points. I have a copy of my statement of service which shows 35 points this anniversary year. I just need to make sure that the points I have done after the policy letter and FY18 Course change count. Who knows, but at least I can make somewhat of a case for getting a qualifying year in 2017.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
It looks like the discussion of the policy change has dropped off. Is anyone else out there with less than 16 years trying to stay in to get 20?

Lost and now alone.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
@lostSeaBee I'll bite - but my answer's "no." The effort to get what I understand to be 25% of my pay (I served just short of 11yrs AD, so like ) when I turn 65 is not justified by the IRR kabuki dance. There's one base near me that has a commissary only, so that's about it for benefits. As an IRR guy, I feel cheesy taking military discounts at stores, anyway. So for me, I'm just as fine w/ USNR-S2 as IRR. If WWIII goes down, I'll happily take some AD instructor's job so he/she can go back to sea. (because that's what would make sense. Also you're welcome, shipmate!). Of course, everyone's got their own story.

So I'm >8yrs, but <16yrs, and on a 3-year agreement to serve on IRR for the ISP. As far as I can figure out by reading a few MILPERSMAN articles, I merely have to agree to serve, which I have done. If the Navy doesn't want me in the IRR, that doesn't impact my ISP eligibility, retroactively or otherwise.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
@lostSeaBee I'll bite - but my answer's "no." The effort to get what I understand to be 25% of my pay (I served just short of 11yrs AD, so like ) when I turn 65 is not justified by the IRR kabuki dance. There's one base near me that has a commissary only, so that's about it for benefits. As an IRR guy, I feel cheesy taking military discounts at stores, anyway. So for me, I'm just as fine w/ USNR-S2 as IRR. If WWIII goes down, I'll happily take some AD instructor's job so he/she can go back to sea. (because that's what would make sense. Also you're welcome, shipmate!). Of course, everyone's got their own story.

So I'm >8yrs, but <16yrs, and on a 3-year agreement to serve on IRR for the ISP. As far as I can figure out by reading a few MILPERSMAN articles, I merely have to agree to serve, which I have done. If the Navy doesn't want me in the IRR, that doesn't impact my ISP eligibility, retroactively or otherwise.
Beans, thanks for biting. I understand your situation. Mine and I thought some others are different. I have just under 16 years, curse the cutoff time, and four years more doesn't sound that bad. I won't even get 25% of my pay, but something is alright with me. I just have to convince the family and myself that it is worth it. I don't know where I will land, but I want to keep my options open. I think you and many others are the majority of the IRR, but who am I to say.

reservist22

It looks like the discussion of the policy change has dropped off. Is anyone else out there with less than 16 years trying to stay in to get 20?

Lost and now alone.

@lostSeaBee i'm in the same boat with you. I have 15.5 good years and currently in the IRR-ASP (just transferred from SELRES to IRR earlier in the year -- civ career got busy).

I've been talking with the recruiter since October and the experience sounds similar to what you described earlier -- I sent him my DD214 & last three FITREPs. I heard back from him earlier in the week and the next step is MEPS and I need to fill out a couple medical forms (DD-2808 and DD 2807-1). I asked the recruiter if he's seeing a lot of folks like us trying to get back in from IRR and he said he's swamped.

will keep fingers crossed that everything goes smooth for us through MEPs and the remainder of the process.

aah80

None

Lost and now alone.

@lostSeaBee Im also at 15 good years trying to figure out how to best complete 20 years. I did specifically ask an IRR Counselor one of the questions you previously posed, regarding submission of and credit for correspondence points between now and November 30th. They said yes, definitely, of course, those will count. As long as you're in the IRR-ASP nothing regarding credit for courses has changed (other than the course list itself). I have a few details to add and some questions for you or anyone who has gouge on the following:

1. An IRR Counselor told me that all NETC courses are for enlisted only for FY18. And that includes courses listed as GENTRA. The FY18 course list does not indicate that slightly important detail but the IRR Counselor was pretty sure about that. Has anyone heard the same, or differently regarding officer eligibility for NETC courses this FY?

2. An IRR Counselor also told me that our 15 gratuity points are given all, in a lump sum, at the beginning of our anniversary year. So, we should all have them already for this current year regardless of when your anniversary month is. Ive seen posts here and gouge elsewhere that indicates that might not be the case. However, the IRR Counselor was very clear on this point so I would like to know if anyone has any hard evidence to the contrary regarding timing of gratuity points, and also whether or not they are a lump sum or are pro-rated for a year (in the case you're dropped to the S2 and only have X % of a year in the IRR / other non-S2)?

3. Does anyone know how to do Defense Contract Audit Institute (DCAI) courses, or if they are worth pursuing? Since IRR correspondence courses for non-CAC holders are extremely limited this FY, I started looking at DCAI which the IRR Counselor said everyone is eligible for, but I can only find a course catalog with zero info on how to enroll in or do courses. I called the number and emailed with zero response on either. Anyone know how to do DCAI courses?

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
@lostSeaBee i'm in the same boat with you. I have 15.5 good years and currently in the IRR-ASP (just transferred from SELRES to IRR earlier in the year -- civ career got busy).

I've been talking with the recruiter since October and the experience sounds similar to what you described earlier -- I sent him my DD214 & last three FITREPs. I heard back from him earlier in the week and the next step is MEPS and I need to fill out a couple medical forms (DD-2808 and DD 2807-1). I asked the recruiter if he's seeing a lot of folks like us trying to get back in from IRR and he said he's swamped.

will keep fingers crossed that everything goes smooth for us through MEPs and the remainder of the process.
My recruiter said that I could use a Military Treatment Center that is close rather than MEPs which sounds better to me. Check into it.
It sounds like you are moving much faster than me. I'm not sure about the person that is helping me, I don't know if they know what is going on.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
@lostSeaBee Im also at 15 good years trying to figure out how to best complete 20 years. I did specifically ask an IRR Counselor one of the questions you previously posed, regarding submission of and credit for correspondence points between now and November 30th. They said yes, definitely, of course, those will count. As long as you're in the IRR-ASP nothing regarding credit for courses has changed (other than the course list itself). I have a few details to add and some questions for you or anyone who has gouge on the following:

1. An IRR Counselor told me that all NETC courses are for enlisted only for FY18. And that includes courses listed as GENTRA. The FY18 course list does not indicate that slightly important detail but the IRR Counselor was pretty sure about that. Has anyone heard the same, or differently regarding officer eligibility for NETC courses this FY?

2. An IRR Counselor also told me that our 15 gratuity points are given all, in a lump sum, at the beginning of our anniversary year. So, we should all have them already for this current year regardless of when your anniversary month is. Ive seen posts here and gouge elsewhere that indicates that might not be the case. However, the IRR Counselor was very clear on this point so I would like to know if anyone has any hard evidence to the contrary regarding timing of gratuity points, and also whether or not they are a lump sum or are pro-rated for a year (in the case you're dropped to the S2 and only have X % of a year in the IRR / other non-S2)?

3. Does anyone know how to do Defense Contract Audit Institute (DCAI) courses, or if they are worth pursuing? Since IRR correspondence courses for non-CAC holders are extremely limited this FY, I started looking at DCAI which the IRR Counselor said everyone is eligible for, but I can only find a course catalog with zero info on how to enroll in or do courses. I called the number and emailed with zero response on either. Anyone know how to do DCAI courses?

aah80,

That is some good information. I'm glad to hear about the new courses counting. I've done several JKO courses but I have not heard back from PERS. It has only been a few days, I'm going wait to the end of the week and then start asking.

1. I have no idea about NETC courses not counting. That isn't a first for PERS, they took them all away a few years ago when "the list" first came out. The previous list did not say anything about enlisted only. I don't think that is accurate information, but what do I know.

2. I heard that the 15 GRAT points come at the end of the year. Here is a couple quotes from the IRR Counselor that I corresponded with: "There is no guarantee that the gratuity points will come before placement in the S2 area. Although, placing members in S2 can take up to 12 months . It just depends upon your anniversary month which is normally your commissioning month. Please note FY2017 points have been added to most accounts with anniversary months of Jan-March. You are welcome to check back on this matter June 2018." and ... "The 15 gratuity points are not achieved until the end of the anniversary year." Who knows. I seriously doubt if they do.

3. Don't know much about DCAI.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
"Enlisted only" is not accurate. Gratuity points are awarded at the completion of the year...not the beginning.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I agree with Sam I am. On all the copies of my statement of service, the 15 GRAT points do not show up until the year is completed. My current year, 2017, statement does not list anything under WHY, GRAT or INAC which tells me that they wait to the end of your anniversary year to award those items.

reservist22

My recruiter said that I could use a Military Treatment Center that is close rather than MEPs which sounds better to me. Check into it.
It sounds like you are moving much faster than me. I'm not sure about the person that is helping me, I don't know if they know what is going on.
@lostSeaBee I spoke with the recruiter this week and he’s swamped with a surge of folks like us trying to get back in. Your recruiter is probably just slammed as well. I’d just keep following up, politely pester with a phone call, was the advice i received.

Regarding MTF, is that just a normal military hospital? The recruiter said he looked into sending me to a military hospital but he learned that the rules changed and that we can’t use them anymore and MEPS is the only option.

Anyway, the recruiter has all my paperwork. Sounds like the next step is that he needs to submit it all to MEPS to get that medical process started.

Regarding NETC course, I just completed one and sent it in (a GENTRA). I’ll followup with them later to see if it gets approved.

Anyone have any recent MEPS experiences? I’ve browsed through several other threads and good info out there—much of it is dated. But if anyone recently went from IRR to VTU/SELRES, I’m interested to hear how that went. It sounds like there might be differences in the MEPS process depending on if you’re going DCO, flight physical, initial enlistment, or IRR to SELRES.