• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M 16 and M4 Civilian Variants

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Quick question for the AR15 people. I bought a brand new DPMS Lower last fall for $500 from the local gun store. It was going to be a project for me when I had to cash to finish it up. Post election, there was serious shortages of everything AR related. Did I get sold up the river or was that a decent price? Kind of an impulse buy in a market I'm not really well versed in...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got taken. Sorry, but you did. AR == barrel + handguards + gas tube + bolt carrier group + upper + lower + buffer assembly + fire control group + grip + buttstock + optics + upper + lower + lower parts kit.

All of which shouldn't run you much more than $1200 for a really really good one, even in the depths of the insanity which followed the election.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Quick question for the AR15 people. I bought a brand new DPMS Lower last fall for $500 from the local gun store. It was going to be a project for me when I had to cash to finish it up. Post election, there was serious shortages of everything AR related. Did I get sold up the river or was that a decent price? Kind of an impulse buy in a market I'm not really well versed in...

For a complete lower or a stripped lower? It's highway robbery for a stripped lower. Very very steep border line petty theft for a DPMS complete lower. Strange things were happening then though.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's a brand new lower, never seen so much as a tool or pin. From my quick research (ar15.net), DPMS was considered one of the top manufacturers, so I was content with the quality. Plan was to buy the parts kits, upper, etc, and build it up over this winter. OCS kinda blocked up my time this winter, so I'll just leave it as a project for later. Ya takes your lumps...

I've only ever bought firearms (all 2 guns and 1 AR15 lower) at the local stores. Buying online and transferring to an FFL bothered me for whatever reason. I need to see it before I buy.

TwosBlind

Thanks for the heads up Rocketman. Just ordered one. A little over a bill with shipping and colored engravings. Nice.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Might be a stupid question, but what the hell:

I noticed the Spike lowers have a selection for fully auto. Does this have any Class III implications? I understand that it is the sear on the M4 that makes the weapon fully auto, but I find it suprising that the lower has a selection for it when most other AR-15 lowers just have SAFE and SEMI.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Seriously considering one of these lowers with this kit I just found from RRA. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=199

All said and done, probably get a complete rifle for $850!

Yup that's why I like building them. You get exactly what you want right down to the kind of pistol grip you use and save some money too.

$90.00 lowers makes it easy to save some coin.

Haven't done the math so I'm not sure if the money savings would be as good but just because I like the stock on my last couple of builds I've used:

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/288.phphttp://www.palmettostatearmory.com/276.php

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/408.php

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/417.php

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/433.php (you don't need to buy this but once of course)

The RRA kit is a great way to go though.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Might be a stupid question, but what the hell:

I noticed the Spike lowers have a selection for fully auto. Does this have any Class III implications? I understand that it is the sear on the M4 that makes the weapon fully auto, but I find it suprising that the lower has a selection for it when most other AR-15 lowers just have SAFE and SEMI.

Good question. No it has no class III implications other than it means if you do the paperwork work your state requires and add the sear to make it a fully auto weapon, the lower will have the proper markings.

It's also good to know that the ATF in it's wisdom can charge you with possession of an illegal fully auto weapon if they can force it to shoot more than one round per trigger pull. This actually happened to a friend of mine here in NC. It's a pretty well documented case involving a worn part. He was cleared eventually but it cost him many thousands of dollars to get the charges dropped.

In NC they can even charge you with possession of an unregistered short barrelled rifle if you have a barrel shorter than 16" in your house along with another AR15. It doesn't have to be mounted on a rifle or even a part of a completed upper for that matter.

magnetfreezer

Another minor threadjack on the topic of buying AR15s - friend is trying to sell a Bushmaster Superlight for $700. Any positive/negative experiences with Bushmaster?

magnetfreezer

In NC they can even charge you with possession of an unregistered short barrelled rifle if you have a barrel shorter than 16" in your house along with another AR15. It doesn't have to be mounted on a rifle or even a part of a completed upper for that matter.

Wow... if I buy ammonium nitrate fertilizer will they charge me with bomb making when they find the diesel in my truck's tank?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Another minor threadjack on the topic of buying AR15s - friend is trying to sell a Bushmaster Superlight for $700. Any positive/negative experiences with Bushmaster?

Right now I own 3 5.56 Bushmasters. I've had no problems with any of them. 2 of them have that excellent superlight barrel. One of those barrels is even mounted in an A1 upper. The A1 Superlight is a dream to shoot and carry.

$700.00 is a good deal for that rifle.