• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking to rent a house in JAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southside is pretty nice, and it opposes normal traffic flows.

JAX is so spread out, you'd probably have better luck waiting until you get here to figure out where to live.

I wish we could do that!!:) We have only a few weeks after they cut my husband orders to get there, plus we have children/animals and a house/garage full of a lot of stuff!!:) We are renting our home out here, so we don't have a lot of time.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I wish we could do that!!:) We have only a few weeks after they cut my husband orders to get there, plus we have children/animals and a house/garage full of a lot of stuff!!:) We are renting our home out here, so we don't have a lot of time.

Your children are animals? Man that is bad.

There are a lot of houses on the market right now, be it for sale or rent. You shouldn't have a problem finding a place.

MasterBates

Ryann, I have lived in 3 areas of town, and know most of JAX fairly well. If you want a no-bs opinion on a certain area, post or PM me.

Moose13

pilot
Traffic is a ***** to Orange Park

Really recommend that you look just north of NAS JAX, Ortega, Riverside and then hop over the I-95 bridge to San Marco and San Nicholas areas, especially if you are going to rent for a while. Mostly older homes, lots of character compared to the 3,000 to 4,000 square foot boxes they are building south of JAX. Have lived in the San Nicholas area for some time, near the Catholic School (Bishop Kenny). A real great place to live. People actually walk in the neighborhoods. Real close to downtown, bascially jog from the house down to the river front. Fire works on the river on weekends and it is actually very quiet during the weekends, no traffic. I guess the benefit to these areas are that you are centrally located to everything JAX has to offer and if you are driving to NAS JAX, as another member mentioned, you are counter-flow to the rush hour traffic.

I guess the other benefit that I use to love to do was fly VFR down the River and cheat just a little to buzz the house. Just checking the driveway :icon_rage .

S/F

Moose

Would you happen to know anything about this area? It is Sutton Lakes subdivision. I know it will be a little commute for the husband but by the pics it looks like a nice subdivision.

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+2021+Wyndham+Hollow+Ct+at+Atlantic+Blvd+Jacksonville+FL+US

Really recommend that you look just north of NAS JAX, Ortega, Riverside and then hop over the I-95 bridge to San Marco and San Nicholas areas, especially if you are going to rent for a while. Mostly older homes, lots of character compared to the 3,000 to 4,000 square foot boxes they are building south of JAX. Have lived in the San Nicholas area for some time, near the Catholic School (Bishop Kenny). A real great place to live. People actually walk in the neighborhoods. Real close to downtown, bascially jog from the house down to the river front. Fire works on the river on weekends and it is actually very quiet during the weekends, no traffic. I guess the benefit to these areas are that you are centrally located to everything JAX has to offer and if you are driving to NAS JAX, as another member mentioned, you are counter-flow to the rush hour traffic.

I guess the other benefit that I use to love to do was fly VFR down the River and cheat just a little to buzz the house. Just checking the driveway :icon_rage .

S/F

Moose

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Is southside nice? I have been looking at rentals in our price range and everything that seems to be nice is in Orange Park and I have heard it is crazy there with traffic. I can not find anything that is "close" to the base, anything I have seen seems very run down, etc. A safe/nice area is first on our list as we have two small children, my husbands commute comes second:) ha!! No, he would agree, but I don't want the guy to have to be stuck in traffic every day. Any help on subdivisions etc., would be MUCH appreciated!!

I've lived on Southside for about 3 years. Can't complain much about it, most things you need are within very short driving distance. There is a 3 hour rush hour, but you can find backroads sometimes.

A lot of the living condition you have depends on the house vs. apartment thing. Last complex I lived in was a complete dive, and the one I live in now is fairly nice. The difference between the two is about half a mile and $60 a month in rent, the nice one being cheaper. Go figure.

Amy C

NAS Jacksonville
I found a few houses, I just don't know how far they are from the base. Do you know anything about Mariners Wharf apartments? It doesn't seem like houses are that expensive to rent there.

I am originally from Jax & just moved to Pensacola. What base will you be stationed at...I am assuming NAS Jax. Mariners wharf is OK...I used to live in there when I was single. I have a very close friend who is a cop if you would like I can ask him how he feels about that area? Also, if you are stationed at NAS Jax it is close, probably about 15-20 minutes with traffic.

Amy

I am originally from Jax & just moved to Pensacola. What base will you be stationed at...I am assuming NAS Jax. Mariners wharf is OK...I used to live in there when I was single. I have a very close friend who is a cop if you would like I can ask him how he feels about that area? Also, if you are stationed at NAS Jax it is close, probably about 15-20 minutes with traffic.

Amy

Amy, have you seen Officer housing on NAS Jax? I have a neighbor who just thinks it was so great and then I have heard it is not so nice. We aren't having a whole lot of luck finding a home under 1300+ that has a fence, excepts pets and is in a nice neighborhood. THANKS!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Amy, have you seen Officer housing on NAS Jax? I have a neighbor who just thinks it was so great and then I have heard it is not so nice. We aren't having a whole lot of luck finding a home under 1300+ that has a fence, excepts pets and is in a nice neighborhood. THANKS!!

Hey, you also have to be realistic about your station in life. Your husband is a very junior junior officer, so you might not rate all the bells and whistles that you want at this point in his career. There was a thread about this a while back where a wife expected the moon on an ensign's salary. Just keep in mind that you might have to make some lifestyle adjustments when moving to a new area, especially at first. Case in point - when I lived in Whidbey, I lived in a large (dare I say palatial :D) home in a great area, nice yard, etc. When I moved to San Diego, that same home would have cost me north of a million dollars. As a result, I live in a 2BR apartment here. Would I like to live in a big house here, sure, but that's just the way it goes.

Brett

Hey, you also have to be realistic about your station in life. Your husband is a very junior junior officer, so you might not rate all the bells and whistles that you want at this point in his career. There was a thread about this a while back where a wife expected the moon on an ensign's salary. Just keep in mind that you might have to make some lifestyle adjustments when moving to a new area, especially at first. Case in point - when I lived in Whidbey, I lived in a large (dare I say palatial :D) home in a great area, nice yard, etc. When I moved to San Diego, that same home would have cost me north of a million dollars. As a result, I live in a 2BR apartment here. Would I like to live in a big house here, sure, but that's just the way it goes.

Brett

How did my question infer I "want the moon"? I am not sure you can make that judgement call on me/us considering you know NOTHING about us, but thanks anyhow. We WILL be concerned as to where we live considering we have children and child predators all over JAX. I was asking if the base was truly that dumpy as I have heard. We are not the average 22 year olds just getting started in life and you know nothing of what are financial situation is, so again, thanks for your info, not sure how it was helpful to my question. Thanks!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did my question infer I "want the moon"? I am not sure you can make that judgement call on me/us considering you know NOTHING about us, but thanks anyhow. We WILL be concerned as to where we live considering we have children and child predators all over JAX. I was asking if the base was truly that dumpy as I have heard. We are not the average 22 year olds just getting started in life and you know nothing of what are financial situation is, so again, thanks for your info, not sure how it was helpful to my question. Thanks!

My post was not meant as a criticism, just to give you some perspective, so you can feel free to return your "indignant" switch to the off position. :icon_roll Also, if you think JAX is a rough city with a child molester behind every tree, you need to get out more.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm gonna have to go with Brett on this one. I've been here 5 months and haven't heard anything about a child molester problem. Murders yes, but thats all the news wants to focus on. All in all, its no worse than I'm accustomed to, and I grew up in Fort Worth, right next to Dallas and all the other cities.

And whoever told you that NAS Jax is crappy is smoking crack, or they've never been to Mayport. Jax is a very nice base far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.