• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for OCS academic manual/gouge

USN1855

I just got pro req'ed for OCS this past Friday. I want to study and prepare as much as possible for OCS. About a year ago while searching google for Navy OCS info, I found an OCS academic manual/gouge on the courses taught during OCS (engineering, military infoctrination, navigation, seamanship, damage control, etc.). Not the 20 so page gouge on ranks, creed, orders, etc but a long manual on OCS. I can no longer find it, and I was wondering if anyone else knows of such a manual/gouge.

Thanks!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Don't bother. Even if you read all that stuff and realize it's all a game, plenty of your classmates won't and it'll just frustrate you to no end.

Just memorize the stuff on the official website and work out a lot to prepare.

yakboyslim

None
You know when I was in your shoes I would have wanted to look at any gouge I could get my hands on, and everyone on here that said "just memorize the big 4 and workout" aggravated me. You want to prepare as much as possible right?

But now, being on this side of things, I can tell you that memorize the big 4, work out and drink beer is the best advice.

Academics should not be that big a concern, and even then the hard part will be staying awake (I wouldn't want to make it harder by knowing everything already) not passing the tests.

BackOrdered

Contributor
The less you know the better with the exception of the big 4. 90% of OCS is rehearsed chaos, including your ignorance. When you know too much too early you end up inadvertently gaming the game in front of the Class Team, you stick out like a sore thumb and they rip you. And all the gouge in the world won't save you from "special attention".

Renegade One

None
Everything said above goes for me, too. If 20 or so pages to know, and the advice to work out, isn't enough, 200 pages probably wouldn't satisfy you either. Good luck...do good...have fun.

exNavyOffRec

You should have been given a book before you submitted your application, at least you signed a piece of paper saying you did. When you swear in you will be given another booklet, and you could ask for it earlier.

I would say much of what happens depends on the DI, one of my guys studied and memorized both handbooks he was given, when he came back he said thanks for them because the guys in his class that didn't know the stuff in the handouts felt MUCH more pain.

LET73

Adding to the chorus above, don't worry about knowing everything ahead of time. Like every other military training program, OCS caters to the lowest common denominator--by which I mean it is set up so that someone who knows nothing coming in will, by the end of it, know what he needs to complete the program. OCS isn't an academic exercise, anyway; it's a mental exercise that tests your desire to be an officer in the Navy. The academics are a small piece of the mind game.

BUDU

I'll add another reason to the list here: A lot of the gouge you are going to find is most likely outdated and irrelevant to today's OCS. You'll be expecting and stressing about things that will never happen.

Plus the academics are easy. I think I slept through 90% of the engineering class and still made it through just fine. Falling asleep has more physical repercussions than it does academic (read: unhappy DI).

exNavyOffRec

I'll add another reason to the list here: A lot of the gouge you are going to find is most likely outdated and irrelevant to today's OCS. You'll be expecting and stressing about things that will never happen.

Plus the academics are easy. I think I slept through 90% of the engineering class and still made it through just fine. Falling asleep has more physical repercussions than it does academic (read: unhappy DI).

FYI, the info the recruiters are given is from OCS and updated very often, not the book, the handout. The book contains stuff that should not change, such as rank structure.

BUDU

NavyOffRec said:
FYI, the info the recruiters are given is from OCS and updated very often, not the book, the handout. The book contains stuff that should not change, such as rank structure.

Well, yes. I did have that book. But beyond things like "The Big 4" and the rank structure, a lot of "firsthand" OCS gouge to be found online is outdated. Even a few things I had from my recruiter. Granted, I was BDCP, so I hung onto the package for a while before OCS.

exNavyOffRec

Well, yes. I did have that book. But beyond things like "The Big 4" and the rank structure, a lot of "firsthand" OCS gouge to be found online is outdated. Even a few things I had from my recruiter. Granted, I was BDCP, so I hung onto the package for a while before OCS.

None of what we get is from online, it is all sent from the schoolhouse to CNRC for distribution to the NRD's, yes much of what is online is outdated, that is why they were sending info directly to us.