• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

looking for info on aviation warfare systems operator

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Ok not all AW's do SAR, There are several Breeds, HS/HSL/VP Then VP has two types as well Acoustic and Non Acoustic. As a former AW let me break it down this way. As an HS or HSL aircrewman you will be deployed on a ship, live in a small ass rack, and lose you BAS (extra money given to you for food) for that time underway. As a VP AW you will go on Deployment but be on Land everynight not only will you keep you BAS but you will also get paid Per Diem ( An extra allowance for basically being away from home can range from $3.00 - $103.00 a day depending on the location) Yeah the HS and HSL guys get SAR Pay, but they also have a lot of training to get it. I personally think VP is the way to go as an AW (maybe I am biased) you might fly longer days, but if your ultimate goal is to pick up STA-21 then you have more resources for your package. A helo flies with 2 Officers, a P-3 Flies with 5. 12 Crews in a P-3 Squadron = 60 officers, compared to what maybe 25 in an HS or HSL Squadron (I'm ignorant on this part so its just an Assumption so someone correct me here).

What about the AW's that serve peanuts and candy on the DC-9?:)

BourneID

pilot
Never really considered the new AW's as AW's, I guess its old mentality, but the changes are a coming. Just like the HCS now AW's previously AD/AM/AT guys and gals. I guess I just still consider only the tacitical AW's the only AW's. As for those serving peanuts on a DC-9 you can just as easily serve coffee on a P-3, just remember if only 1 person wants coffee on the entire crew and thinks you should make a whole pot for them, ensure you mess it up each and every time you make to put an end to that shit.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....just remember if only 1 person wants coffee on the entire crew and thinks you should make a whole pot for them, ensure you mess it up each and every time you make to put an end to that shit.

I used that a time or two while serving as SDO...it works! (I'm not a coffee drinker so when busy running flight schedule, I let the coffee addicts fend for themselves)

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
sorry guys im a computer nerd im bred this way, but ill see if i can work on it a little. Oh im mainly looking for information on aviation warfare systems operator that what I am having trouble with. I am looking for information on daily life,how to prepare,were i may be stationed,and primarily info on search and rescue (i know almost nothing and I am most interested in this) i read a thread from years ago that got me started on this site but I am looking for more up to date information. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15588
I have tried to contact some of these guys but no luck.

If you always write this way, it's going to be much harder to stop, just like any other bad habit. I see misspelled words and incorrect punctuation on a routine basis at work. Whether it's someone sending an e-mail to the entire command, or inputs for awards, evals, or fitreps, it doesn't set a good first impression. Will it prevent you from being a good AW or officer? No, but it doesn't mean that you should be writing as though English is not your first language.

crisblunt

If everyone can, try to use less abbreviation’s because newbie over here has no idea what a good half of those mean. (or at least explain them)

First, quit worrying about your grammar or spelling on here. Sure, the old salts will get on your case, but this is not any part of your application. In other words, don't stress it here. I assume you're smart enough to figure out that you should probably take a little more time and effort when actually applying.
Second, be careful what you're getting into. If you are enlisting because you want to someday be a pilot, it's a bad idea. I realize that your recruiter will cross his heart and swear to you that the best way to become an aviator is to enlist in an aviation billet and then apply to an officer program. He's lying. The vast majority of pilots out here have never put on an enlisted uniform. Look into the officer programs available to you.(Don't ask your recruiter about these, he won't tell you.) If you don't qualify for anything right now, then I would suggest that you go do a year or two at a community college and then see what opens up for you.

That being said, if you're enlisting because you want to be the best AW you can be and serve your country then don't let me discourage you. Just understand that using an enlistment as a stepping-stone to a commission is a trap that many, many recruits have fallen into. Good luck to you.

Well shit it’s a bit late for going anything but enlisted I originally had every intention of going marine infantry but a few weeks ago I was approached about the sta-21 program and it intrigued me. Apparently I was lied to but I do not know about what but now it is too late to apply for anything else including community collage, so I am stuck with this unless someone wants to tell me something I don’t know. I know I have the drive to do the sta-21 program because it is ALL I care about. But I am curious how one goes about balancing enlistment and community collage because I have herd that it helps with the sta-21 application.
The reason I am enlisting is because I saw an opportunity to do the only thing I care about and a job I like in the mean time. So what are you saying when you say “trap” what am I not being told about the sta-21 program. (And I appreciate the honesty)

Well, that's fine and dandy, but I hope you realize that you are not on the internet, you are on AirWarriors.com.
AirWarriors.com is on the internet and while I understand that most people on here are used to official speak I did say I would work on it. But from here on out I will go ahead and take Sly’s advice and just ignore any grammar bashing. Because the funny thing about on the internet (which Airwarriors.com is) is I don’t have to actually care what you have to say.

What is your backup plan if youdo not get AW qualified? If you were to get STA-21 and became an officer, what would be your dream job?
+1, My car's GPS has better grammar.

Currently I assume the only backup plan I have is going infantry, I suppose if I enlisted and everything went horribly wrong I could just go to collage afterwards and attempt to find another way. But currently my local collages just stopped accepting for this next semester and I don’t like the idea of doing nothing for an entire semester. My dream job is to fly in combat I have no other the only reason I am looking at the navy is because I am under the impression that it is easer to fly in the navy then in the marines. I had no idea that there was a chance I couldn’t get AW qualified like I said my meeting is tomorrow to discuses the details about all this. As for your grammar comment I am sitting in class typing this as a quick response in between my assignments so grammar is the least of my worries AND TO HELL WITH UR GPS. =P

FYI, if you want it bad enough then you'll find it and get it done. Google is a great starter tool for finding things you want to know information on...its where I found all of the info I started off with when applying for the STA-21 program. Second, no one cares about you as much as you do...so don't depend on others to get you what you need to know and where you need to go. Its hard but not impossible to go enlisted first then officer. When I enlisted I had no idea I'd ever make it this far but saw the opportunity and gave it my best shot. I come from the nuke community on fast attack submarines...which may not mean too much to you this early in your Navy career, but its pretty darn hard for the sub community to let go of its guys...not to mention the nukes. Note, if you go to the fleet enlisted and spend all your time and effort on the officer pkg and not on supporting your command (i.e. getting qualified) then the road to success may be a bit bumpy. Best of luck to you.
Funny thing is Google took me here, but I am very appreciative of the advice it has given be some ideas and some hope, so thank you.

There are more former helo-AW's/Officers on this board than former VP AW/Officers. There are at six current VP DH's that are former HSL AW's just here in Jax. Don't under estimate the value of the "culture" of PT in the SAR world as a long-term career asset.
VP has an unfortunate reputation as a fat-body refuge.

But it is clearly a great rate, just don't think of it as merely a stepping stone.
Just my .02

I love the idea of SAR but I didn’t even consider it until I was told some AW’s are SAR certified which again is why I am looking for some information on it. But if it is something that may hurt my chances for sta-21 I am not doing it. But how often to AW’s do SAR because while there is information about SAR all over, it is very hard to find out about AW’s doing SAR. And I don’t look at it as a stepping stone but more of a last resort that I will do anything to make work.

If you always write this way, it's going to be much harder to stop, just like any other bad habit. I see misspelled words and incorrect punctuation on a routine basis at work. Whether it's someone sending an e-mail to the entire command, or inputs for awards, evals, or fitreps, it doesn't set a good first impression. Will it prevent you from being a good AW or officer? No, but it doesn't mean that you should be writing as though English is not your first language.
Ok point taken, I will work on it and try to break this habit early.
Thanks for the example.

crisblunt

If everyone can, try to use less abbreviation’s because newbie over here has no idea what a good half of those mean. (or at least explain them)

First, quit worrying about your grammar or spelling on here. Sure, the old salts will get on your case, but this is not any part of your application. In other words, don't stress it here. I assume you're smart enough to figure out that you should probably take a little more time and effort when actually applying.
Second, be careful what you're getting into. If you are enlisting because you want to someday be a pilot, it's a bad idea. I realize that your recruiter will cross his heart and swear to you that the best way to become an aviator is to enlist in an aviation billet and then apply to an officer program. He's lying. The vast majority of pilots out here have never put on an enlisted uniform. Look into the officer programs available to you.(Don't ask your recruiter about these, he won't tell you.) If you don't qualify for anything right now, then I would suggest that you go do a year or two at a community college and then see what opens up for you.

That being said, if you're enlisting because you want to be the best AW you can be and serve your country then don't let me discourage you. Just understand that using an enlistment as a stepping-stone to a commission is a trap that many, many recruits have fallen into. Good luck to you.

Well shit it’s a bit late for going anything but enlisted I originally had every intention of going marine infantry but a few weeks ago I was approached about the sta-21 program and it intrigued me. Apparently I was lied to but I do not know about what but now it is too late to apply for anything else including community collage, so I am stuck with this unless someone wants to tell me something I don’t know. I know I have the drive to do the sta-21 program because it is ALL I care about. But I am curious how one goes about balancing enlistment and community collage because I have herd that it helps with the sta-21 application.
The reason I am enlisting is because I saw an opportunity to do the only thing I care about and a job I like in the mean time. So what are you saying when you say “trap” what am I not being told about the sta-21 program. (And I appreciate the honesty)

Well, that's fine and dandy, but I hope you realize that you are not on the internet, you are on AirWarriors.com.
AirWarriors.com is on the internet and while I understand that most people on here are used to official speak I did say I would work on it. But from here on out I will go ahead and take Sly’s advice and just ignore any grammar bashing. Because the funny thing about on the internet (which Airwarriors.com is) is I don’t have to actually care what you have to say.

What is your backup plan if youdo not get AW qualified? If you were to get STA-21 and became an officer, what would be your dream job?
+1, My car's GPS has better grammar.

Currently I assume the only backup plan I have is going infantry, I suppose if I enlisted and everything went horribly wrong I could just go to collage afterwards and attempt to find another way. But currently my local collages just stopped accepting for this next semester and I don’t like the idea of doing nothing for an entire semester. My dream job is to fly in combat I have no other the only reason I am looking at the navy is because I am under the impression that it is easer to fly in the navy then in the marines. I had no idea that there was a chance I couldn’t get AW qualified like I said my meeting is tomorrow to discuses the details about all this. As for your grammar comment I am sitting in class typing this as a quick response in between my assignments so grammar is the least of my worries AND TO HELL WITH UR GPS. =P

FYI, if you want it bad enough then you'll find it and get it done. Google is a great starter tool for finding things you want to know information on...its where I found all of the info I started off with when applying for the STA-21 program. Second, no one cares about you as much as you do...so don't depend on others to get you what you need to know and where you need to go. Its hard but not impossible to go enlisted first then officer. When I enlisted I had no idea I'd ever make it this far but saw the opportunity and gave it my best shot. I come from the nuke community on fast attack submarines...which may not mean too much to you this early in your Navy career, but its pretty darn hard for the sub community to let go of its guys...not to mention the nukes. Note, if you go to the fleet enlisted and spend all your time and effort on the officer pkg and not on supporting your command (i.e. getting qualified) then the road to success may be a bit bumpy. Best of luck to you.
Funny thing is Google took me here, but I am very appreciative of the advice it has given be some ideas and some hope, so thank you.

There are more former helo-AW's/Officers on this board than former VP AW/Officers. There are at six current VP DH's that are former HSL AW's just here in Jax. Don't under estimate the value of the "culture" of PT in the SAR world as a long-term career asset.
VP has an unfortunate reputation as a fat-body refuge.

But it is clearly a great rate, just don't think of it as merely a stepping stone.
Just my .02

I love the idea of SAR but I didn’t even consider it until I was told some AW’s are SAR certified which again is why I am looking for some information on it. But if it is something that may hurt my chances for sta-21 I am not doing it. But how often to AW’s do SAR because while there is information about SAR all over, it is very hard to find out about AW’s doing SAR. And I don’t look at it as a stepping stone but more of a last resort that I will do anything to make work.

Ok point taken, I will work on it and try to break this habit early.
Thanks for the example.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
AND TO HELL WITH UR GPS. =P
Better tack a Sir onto that one Shipwreck.

"I suppose if I enlisted and everything went horribly wrong I could just go to collage afterwards"
I reserve all rights to the above statement so I can make my millions on T-shirts:D
Animal-House---John-Belushi-College--C10112414.jpeg

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Please, for the love of God, don't go Marine Infantry.

Your attitude is shit. You don't know an abbreviation? Take some initiative and look it up.

I have been in the military for some time now, and I still come across abbreviations I don't know. Use your nerd-hacking-l33t speaking skills and google that trash.

I know I have the drive to do the sta-21 program because it is ALL I care about.

I'm sure all the people around you from bootcamp and on to the fleet will be glad to know that you don't give a shiat about anything except your STA-21 package...

If your backup plan is to "go infantry" why are you contemplating enlisting in the Navy? The Navy doesn't have an infantry.

Blah, between your inability to spell basic words like "college" and "heard," and your shitty "ME-FIRST Fark the other guy" attitude, I wish I could reach through the computer screen and slap you after reading this train-wreck.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Your spelling on this board may not mean anything, but mouthing off to officers, who are trying to give you advice, isn't going to get you anywhere. There is a lot of information on this board, and all the guys on here will be more than happy to help you out to find it. However, if you act like a douchebag, well...

Old habits die hard. Learn to write properly as a habit, so you don't have to worry about "switching." I once handed in a 9th grade paper that had a ton of "u" instead of "you." Last time I ever used internet spellings.

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
Get a job an sort it out for a little while. I've seen too many kids like yourself come into the service as a last resort or what they think is a last resort. Coming into the military should be a choice, you have options.

First some definitions. The term "Kid" is used by personnel in the Navy to describe junior personnel requiring guidance on specific issues. It is generally not intended as argumentative or derogatory.

I'm not going to speak for everyone here, so take this from me to you. As I've said before, I've seen a lot of kids in your position. You feel like you need to make a decision and want all the advice you can get. It is an understandably pivotal point in your life. Unfortunately you have smug little answers to people trying to help you out. Help that you "googled" and now smite because you have thin skin and are a know it all teenager. This is not a crime, many of us on this forum have been that kid before, it is curable. I've been teaching kids like you for years and never tire of giving advice.

Here is the advice. If you don't want what the military is offering you...don't sign the papers. If your "Collage" application isn't working, take a semester out of the game, do something you will never forget, be it good or bad. Meaning, go on a trip that is awesome or lay concrete for a summer. Neither you will ever forget for totally opposite reasons.

Being in the Military Service requires sacrifice. As a new recruit, yes you will have the option to go to school. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Prior to this know that the more junior the rank, the less opportunity you may have based on your work requirements. As you progress in rank and time in service, you have more accountability and responsibility but by that point you will have learned better time management skills allowing you to juggle your schedule more effectively.

I can tell you that being any sort of Aircrewman takes total commitment. No half assed "this is a stepping stone stuff" will be tolerated, especially in Schools Command. It is also a choice and the people who don't really want to be there will find themselves reassigned.

Take a hard look at what you really want and don't let anyone talk you out of it. If it's becoming a Naval Officer, go to school; if it's becoming an Aircrewman, sign the enlistment contract, roll the dice and we'll see you in the Fleet.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You come on here asking for advice, then tell us you don't care what we say/think?? wtf? Then just go away.

While this site is on the internet, it isn't like the typical sites you visit with pedophiles using nameless/faceless handles exchanging kiddie porn. This site has a VERY real network of REAL officers and aviators who know each other and can surely affect your application if it really came down to it.

So stop talking sh!t because you have no idea what consequences are possible. Take the advice people give you, and stop trying to correct people, bitch at them, or tell them what to do. Just STFU and absorb all the info you can here (and in life in general). That's how you learn and improve in life.

Work on it.....

Guaranteed this type of attitude will NOT bode well in getting a good job in the Navy and CERTAINLY not a commission.

EDIT: And by the way, don't pretend that you are "just speaking this way" because it's the internet. When you "attempt" to speak normally to explain to us your use of l337 or whatever the fvck it is, you STILL spell words incorrectly, use "Your/You're" incorrectly and screw up basic grammar. So while you pretend it's intentional, most of us just think you're stupid.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
You come on here asking for advice, then tell us you don't care what we say/think?? wtf? Then just go away.

While this site is on the internet, it isn't like the typical sites you visit with pedophiles using nameless/faceless handles exchanging kiddie porn. This site has a VERY real network of REAL officers and aviators who know each other and can surely affect your application if it really came down to it.

So stop talking sh!t because you have no idea what consequences are possible. Take the advice people give you, and stop trying to correct people, bitch at them, or tell them what to do. Just STFU and absorb all the info you can here (and in life in general). That's how you learn and improve in life.

Work on it.....

Guaranteed this type of attitude will NOT bode well in getting a good job in the Navy and CERTAINLY not a commission.

Given the collection of avatars, you have to wonder what people really think when they get yelled at here. :D

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
These posts may sound like everybody is out to get you but they are 110% correct. I enlisted an an undesignated airman, or ATD, and am now working on my STA-21, pilot option. My recruiter did not mention any officer programs other than I could earn my commission once I join. Don't let yours decide your fate, I wish I would have done some research first.

I am currently an Air Traffic Controller so I come in contact with many officers, or pilots, from all the branches. EVERY SINGLE ONE presented themselves in a very professional manner which is part of the reason I want to be one. Now are there dirbag officers out there, more than likely yes. Remember officers are in charge of divisions, departments, commands, etc. Would you want to serve under somebody who comes off as a dirtbag knowing they can/do make or break your future? Just keep all this in mind when you are choosing what you are going to do. You mentioned you want to be an AW. This has been said already but "have a back-up plan". Some of the AW students lived in my barracks in Pensacola and I had friends who were going through the training. Half of my friends class either dropped on request or were kicked out throughout the class. AW school is no walk in the park (from what I hear) so have another rate in mind just in case.

Bootcamp might be the best option for you because it will help (hopefully) instill the necessary qualities to become a member of the Armed Forces. I know you are not in the military yet but I strongly suggest working on your attitude. I would not expect you to say "yes sir" or "no sir" on this forum but keep in mind these are actual officers (some of them, I am not (yet)). Respect will get you a LONG ways in the military, a long ways. I am sure you have heard this before but think before you speak, or type. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck. Think your decisions over and then do it again. Keep in mind the military is not for everybody.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
AirWarriors.com is on the internet and while I understand that most people on here are used to official speak I did say I would work on it. But from here on out I will go ahead and take Sly’s advice and just ignore any grammar bashing. Because the funny thing about on the internet (which Airwarriors.com is) is I don’t have to actually care what you have to say
This response took a bit to compose. You're so internet savvy that you double posted, and I had trouble deciding which one to respond to.

You're right you don't have to care what we say. We don't have to listen to you or answer your questions.

I think if you put the computer and Twinkies down and learn to interact in the real world, you'll realize that in the dynamics of human relationships sometimes you have to bite the bullet and acquiesce if you want something from someone else.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Half of my friends class either dropped on request or were kicked out throughout the class. AW school is no walk in the park (from what I hear) so have another rate in mind just in case.

DOR?!?! Since when can an AW quit "A" School? At the risk of getting the reputation of the dinosaur, it used to be the only thing that got you out of "A" School was failing academically. DOR out of the AW pipeline, I never would've thought. Good riddance, the rate has no room for quitters.