• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Boomers (VT-27) weren't around in your day A4s?
Side note:

As I stated (above) they were flying the TS-2 in Advanced Props in Corpus ... the reason I mention it is that ALL fixed wing aviators CARQUALED with a tailhook in the 'ol days ... most usually twice. Not just the jet guys ...

VT-5 in T-28's
VT-27/VT-28 in TS-2's

What a shame it doesn't happen today. :(

Brett1

Banned
Is it possible to launch and recover aircraft with the boat stationary or is forward movement an absolute??

phrogpilot73

Is it possible to launch and recover aircraft with the boat stationary or is forward movement an absolute??
You could theorhetically do it if stationary, it just depends on how much wind is coming across the deck. So if the wind is calm, and you need 30 knots across the deck, then you need to steam at 30 knots. If the wind is 30 knots, you just need to turn into the wind. Then you could be DIW and launch jets. In reality, ships are more unstable (with respect to roll/pitch) when DIW, so there will always be some forward speed.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Great question for LSOs because they give a "special" brief on

But in Jeopardy (style), the category is...Carrier Ops:

What is Flankering, Alex?

AlexFramed.JPG

And from official history of VF-11 Red Rippers for 1975:

The FORRESTAL anchored in Kithira Bay, Greece on 29 March
for several days. Flankering operations were conducted successfully
during this period and the proficiency of all hands was
tested during these flight operations while at anchor.

^^Been there, done that on USS America (CV-66)^^

Note: Some World War Carriers were set up to even land "backwards" while in "reverse".

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I got shot off Cat 1 on the Ranger by then CO Burner Bob Hickey, at anchor just off Coronado Island. As laonag as you got the laucnh bulletin winds required. We had a ton of natural wind and guess what???...the carrrier fiars to the relative wind on the hook, too. :)

Very interesting clearing turn to avoid overflight of the Hotel Del. We were in NASNI's airspace at launch.

Also landed on a carrier that was backing down. No wake, just props and white swirls visible below the stern. We were taking the Big E around the horn from Alameda to Norfolk for shipyard work. Had a day with 60 knots of WOD barely making way. No kidding...crisp cool day, 60 knots. At the canopy opening limit for the F-14. I got video of guys walking up the deck leaning way into the wind to man up.

HIgh winds can lead to larger power reductions and huge sink rates at the boat so it was a challenging day for all.

phrogpilot73

I got shot off Cat 1 on the Ranger by then CO Burner Bob Hickey, at anchor just off Coronado Island. As laonag as you got the laucnh bulletin winds required. We had a ton of natural wind and guess what???...the carrrier fiars to the relative wind on the hook, too. :)

Very interesting clearing turn to avoid overflight of the Hotel Del. We were in NASNI's airspace at launch.
Huh? Uncharacteristic of you... You launching this one from the Supe's desk before he gets back?!? :D

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Now if the boat were to go to back emergency, matching you at the same speed as the cat shot - would you get airborne?????

:D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dunno about launching, but recovering in reverse was considered for one boat.

Today's useless Naval Aviation historical fact:

USS United States (CVA-58), the planned first "supercarrier" (axed shortly after keel-laying by Louis Johnson, biggest douchebag ever to be SecDef) was to have the capability to recover aircraft "fore and aft". The idea, based on experiences in WWII, was that in the event of serious battle damage to one end of the ship, it could back down and recover aircraft over the bow.

g706108.jpg

phrogpilot73

^^ You got a lot of free time over there?!? Interesting, didn't know about it - but how do you come up with such arcane knowledge?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had to do a paper on it for a "History of Ship Design" class at the Boat School.

And yes, I do have a lot of free time here. Booooooooooring.

Edit: I didn't know about "flankering," though. Another item for the Arcane Navy Knowledge file.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh? Uncharacteristic of you... You launching this one from the Supe's desk before he gets back?!? :D

I am no longer the Grammar Nazi...:)...I usually use Mozilla with a built in spellchecker. :eek:

Nose

pilot

If I remember correctly, the Prowler did not need any wind for launch, they could actually launch with a tailwind. Someone, anyone?

As far as recovery headwinds, S-3 could land with 3kt tailwind, EA-6B only needed 1 knot.

COD was the worst with a "requirement" of 25 knots. This was a made up number. If you go through the ARBs and work it manually, it really only needed about 15, but some knob "test pilot" decided that the "average" COD pilot would need more. Tried for 3 years to get the Carrier Suitability to re-do COD numbers to make them more realistic. CODs killed us during RAG CQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.